December 17, 2017, 03:30:22 AM

Author Topic: If the 1Dx shows a substantial improvment in sensor technology....  (Read 12132 times)

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: If the 1Dx shows a substantial improvment in sensor technology....
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
Is anyone who is considering the purchase of a 1DX really waiting on the outcome of the DXO test results?  What I mean specifically is - is anyone deciding between the purchase of a 1Dx or a D4 based on this test result?the

Other than a few extremely wealthy hobbyists, of course not! With the 1Dx, you're not just in pro territory. The 1Dx's price puts it in the realm of pros who aren't just doing reasonably well, but whose businesses are doing very well. I'd venture to say that most pros  have never even heard of DxO sensor tests before. They're too busy making money with their gear to bicker about their gear online.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:55:32 AM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »

marekjoz

• EOS 5DS R
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

Is anyone who is considering the purchase of a 1DX really waiting on the outcome of the DXO test results?

If the 1D X doesn't score at least a 90 on the DxOMark testing, I'm going to take each and every piece of Canon gear I own - 2 gripped bodies, 12 lenses plus two teleconverters, 3 flashes, and various accessories, dip them one by one into a vat of liquid nitrogen then drop each from the top of my 12-story building to the pavement below, sweep up the pile of glass, metal, and plastic dust, treat the dust with concentrated hydroflouric acid, then incinerate the resulting sludge.  After that, I'll place a $30K claim with my insurance company, and go buy a Harley instead.   A score <90 = to hell with photography.

Ok, I exaggerate just a little bit.

@Neuro - you're not public but individual(ist) so changing sides won't happen in your case. I see your point and that's correct - Canon has never achieved good results in DXO and still hold it's leader position. I just see those sellers advising starters looking for their first DSLR...
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
I just see those sellers advising starters looking for their first DSLR...

What proportion of 'starters looking for their first DSLR' would be seriously considering a 5DIII, D800, or other >$3K investment that doesn't even come with a lens?  I don't know that answer, but I bet it's along the lines of 'damn small'. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »

Other than a few extremely wealthy hobbyists, of course not! With the 1Dx, you're not just in pro territory. The 1Dx's price puts it in the realm of pros who aren't just doing reasonably well, but whose businesses are doing very well. I'd venture to say that most pros  have never even heard of DxO sensor tests before. They're too busy making money with their gear to bicker about their gear online.

The 1Dx is only the price of a car or half the price of a Harley - so I dont think extremely wealthy is a valid precurser to buying a 1Dx

marekjoz

• EOS 5DS R
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
I just see those sellers advising starters looking for their first DSLR...

What proportion of 'starters looking for their first DSLR' would be seriously considering a 5DIII, D800, or other >$3K investment that doesn't even come with a lens?  I don't know that answer, but I bet it's along the lines of 'damn small'.

One of several "typical" sales discussions:
Customer (C) - Hello, I want some good and cheap DSLR camera. I've heard they are great and we want it on our holidays
Seller (S) - OK, are you looking for something specific or maybe you still don't know what you want?
C - I'm not pro. Just want something better than our Ixus
S - OK, so Canon then?
C - We bought some time ago, I'm relatively satisfied but I don't know what's currently the best
S - Well, Canon is still very good and I could recommend it. What will you be shooting?
C - Just my wife and kids. My friend who owns a DSLR for five years told me that Nikons are now better and cheaper
S - Well, they are comparable although indeed some tests show, that in some areas it might be better, but Canon was always better.
C - Which is cheaper?
S - Nikon
C - Then if Nikon is better and cheaper then I take one
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
C - Just my wife and kids. My friend who owns a DSLR for five years told me that Nikons are now better and cheaper
S - Well, they are comparable although indeed some tests show, that in some areas it might be better, but Canon was always better.
C - Which is cheaper?
S - Nikon
C - Then if Nikon is better and cheaper then I take one

S - Excellent choice.  The D800 costs $3,000, and you'll also be needing a lens, the 24-120mm VR is perfect, and that will be an additional $1,300, bringing your total to $4,300 plus tax.  Will that be cash or charge?
C - WTF?  Four thousand f___ing dollars for a camera?  What kind of s___ty store is this?  <smacks S across the face and walks out>

Oh, wait, maybe you were talking about actual entry level cameras?  In that case, D3200+18-55mm kit is $700, T3i/600D+18-55mm kit is $625.  In the above discussion, cheaper wins, and C walks out with a shiny new Canon dSLR.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:23:14 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

The 1Dx is only the price of a car or half the price of a Harley - so I dont think extremely wealthy is a valid precurser to buying a 1Dx

OK, maybe just somewhat wealthy :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
I will love Canon if they just release the damned camera. I can't wait any longer!

They must be busy covering the bottom of the LCD to prevent light leak  ;D

Seriously now let's hope they thought again for that missing f8 thing...

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
There is one very important thing, that people seem not to understand. Such tests and publications are very very important for Canon and us as well no matter if we believe in DXO metrics or not. If such a comparison with it's numbers (ie 95vs83) goes to public, then public will decide upon future buys of equipment basing on those numbers.

There is one more very important thing that people seem not to understand.  Such tests are basically meaningless in terms of the public deciding upon future purchases.  Try this - go back through a few generations of cameras, and for the past 5 years, who's sensors have tested 'better'?  Nikon, by a fair margin across the range of basic entry-level dSLR to pro dSLR.  Now, compare market share over the same period - during the time when Nikon 'owned' Canon for sensor performance, market share went from about equal to Canon increasing 5% while Nikon lost 10%.  So...how much did those higher scores help Nikon?  Less than zero.

They really tested better across the board until very recently, certainly not without caveats.

D3x had good DR and solid SNR and high MP but it was only in a $$$$$$$ body. (5D2 avail at fraction of the price)

D3s was best at SNR but it had very few MP and the DR wasn't TONS better than Canon, although it was better. (5D2 sensor had tons more MP)

D300 and D300s sensor weren't any better than 7D at all.

D90 was in a cheap little body only.

D7000 had a very good sensor but that was somewhat more recent.

D700 had a lot less MP than the 5D2 and the DR wasn't THAT much better, not like the D4 DR nevermind anything like D7000 or D800 DR.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:40:47 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

distant.star

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »

All I see there is a nice sweater!

Seriously, nice picture.

A picture from yesterday with the 7D + 24-105. This is an old but much loved, angora goat. The brief was, as is mostly, to capture the character of the animal rather than all washed and brushed which it never was. Most of the owners want images that reflect the animal as they saw it day to day - hence it is covered in hay ...
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »