October 23, 2014, 12:41:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 34324 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.

Phenomenon In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.

Affected Product Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera *Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected. For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)

Support Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

cr

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:11:53 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
Would this increase shipments from Canon to retailers by any chance? Seems like a 5DMK3 body only is nowhere to be bought  :-\

Other than that, I feel this is a pretty good solution for those who feel like this is an issue for them!  ;D
5D Mark III, 60D,
50L, 70-200 f/2.8L II (35L coming soon!)
www.jvillaphoto.com

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:35 PM »
Would this increase shipments from Canon to retailers by any chance? Seems like a 5DMK3 body only is nowhere to be bought  :-\

Other than that, I feel this is a pretty good solution for those who feel like this is an issue for them!  ;D

One store said earlier today that they were hopeful to get shipments again very soon. We'll see.

javier

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
Here it is. 

Canon find the way of doing nothing.

The say if you think there is something wrong with your camera canon will check it for free starting in mid may. 
By that time you forgot all this.

I will say send a clear message to canon returning your camara like i did and buy another one when they fix the design. 

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »

One store said earlier today that they were hopeful to get shipments again very soon. We'll see.

Mind me asking which store stated that? I did speak with Adorama today and they told me they were 'hopefully' getting a shipment by the end of the week!

I wants me a 5D3 already, no more crop for me please!  :'(
5D Mark III, 60D,
www.jvillaphoto.com

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May.
Bravo, Canon! Excellently handled by Canon, despite their foolish original statement. Hopefully now, those users who believe this to be an issue will leave these forums in peace.

To those who do send your camera in, do not expect that Canon will "fix" the "issue," but simply acknowledge that the camera is operational as they intended it to be. That is, I doubt they will actually change parts, but merely inspect in case your device is an anomaly and features an actually light leak issue not present in the wider community.

Now, let us put this to bed and start shooting. :)

MrSandman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »
However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May.
Bravo, Canon! Excellently handled by Canon, despite their foolish original statement. Hopefully now, those users who believe this to be an issue will leave these forums in peace.

To those who do send your camera in, do not expect that Canon will "fix" the "issue," but simply acknowledge that the camera is operational as they intended it to be. That is, I doubt they will actually change parts, but merely inspect in case your device is an anomaly and features an actually light leak issue not present in the wider community.

Now, let us put this to bed and start shooting. :)

That’s your interpretation of the matter.

My interpretation is that some of the 5D3s manufactured thus far have not been manufactured to specification.  Canon is basically saying these cameras are ‘good enough’ to be sold....but that’s really our call to make, isn’t it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »

DynaMike

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »
Here it is. 

Canon find the way of doing nothing.

The say if you think there is something wrong with your camera canon will check it for free starting in mid may. 
By that time you forgot all this.

I will say send a clear message to canon returning your camara like i did and buy another one when they fix the design.

Serious!!!  Man, ever since the invention of in-camera meters they have never been 100% accurate.  Even if this supposed light leak problem is fixed the meter still won't be 100% accurate.  That's why testing is done to see what the meter does and work with it form there.  Also why hand held light meters were the norm when it was just film.  With digital it's even easier to work with by learning how to read your histograms.  Never trust the in-camera meter unless you've tested it, know it's quirks, and have calibrated it based on a reliable hand held meter.  It's really not a problem, as reliable sources (lens rental guy and Canon) have stated.  I'd trust them over some Joe programmer on the internet ranting about nothing.  It would be awesome if everything manufactured was bug free, but that's not gonna happen.  No matter what product it is, there is always some minor issue.  It's the nature of the beast when dealing with sophisticated electronics.  Stop worrying and just shoot and have fun!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:08:10 PM by DynaMike »

thien135

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
if it does not affect the image then why would they even offer to inspect the camera if needed???  :o :o :o

photodim

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
Glad to finally see a resolution. Hopefully will never experience this 'issue' in the real world.

Just curious about the following statement:

Affected Product Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera *Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected. For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number.)

Does this imply that Canon actually implemented a hardware/manufacturing fix and will be releasing bodies with a different serial #? I checked and my camera has a "1" as the 6th digit.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:12:32 PM by photodim »

DynaMike

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »
if it does not affect the image then why would they even offer to inspect the camera if needed???  :o :o :o

Because they want to make the consumer happy.  People are the gonna complain, and state that it is affecting their images.  They need to offer some kind of resolution to keep the consumer trust.

cschmeer

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »
What's going on at Canon Europe? They've taken down the "advisory" note, but haven't written anything about THEIR resolution.

The URL where the advisory used to be now only states the DPP issue, not even the issue with lenses anymore either  :-\ (or was that taken care of with the firmware update?)

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?type=important&faqtcmuri=tcm:14-922684

To be honest, I don't care about the light leak personally. However, I am a bit worried about Canon putting the blame on a specific batch of cameras because of resale value  :-\ Either way, I want the issue/non-issue looked at and fixed for this very reason.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:42:47 PM by cschmeer »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »
What's going on at Canon Europe? They've taken down the "advisory" note, but haven't written anything about THEIR resolution.

The URL where the advisory used to be now only states the DPP issue, not even the issue with lenses anymore either  :-\ (or was that taken care of with the firmware update?)

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?type=important&faqtcmuri=tcm:14-922684

To be honest, I don't care about the light leak personally. However, I am a bit worried about Canon putting the blame on a specific batch of cameras because of resale value  :-\ Either way, I want the issue/non-issue looked at and fixed for this very reason.
Because they don't consider it an issue. Canon USA has issued this offer, knowing that they are subject to the most complainers, due to USA having the largest consumer base.

They may, if enough people complain unnecessarily, offer the same service; until then, I doubt they will issue a statement. Perhaps for concerned individuals they may offer it "quietly" to shut them up. If you are truly concerned, give them a call.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:47 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:59 PM »
So....what exactly is the 'fix'?  Are they just adding a tiny bit of tape or something? Is it really worth the effort of being without your camera for a few days? Or can they do this while you wait if you live near a Canon servicing center (like I do)?
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »

Well, this answers my question!
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-5d-mark-iii-will-start-shipping-again/
I'm now very happy to hopefully be getting one for myself soon enough =)
5D Mark III, 60D,
www.jvillaphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »