October 21, 2014, 11:46:32 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 34276 times)

llcanon

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »
Well, if you really want to have a body without the "light leak" issue, I guess you will have to wait a while until Canon clears the "defective" inventory. If you only want the body, wait even longer, because Canon wants you to buy their 24-105 lens. I am not sure if they will do anything to fix the problem even if you send yours in. To get to the part b/t the LCD panel and the AE sensor, Canon will have to open your camera up. Who knows what else they will mess up when they do that.

We, the loyal first adopters, will just have to swallow this and pretend nothing has happened. If this bothers you, send it back to your dealer. If not, go take photos and stop coming back to this forum.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
Would this increase shipments from Canon to retailers by any chance? Seems like a 5DMK3 body only is nowhere to be bought  :-\

Well, this answers my question!
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-5d-mark-iii-will-start-shipping-again/
I'm now very happy to hopefully be getting one for myself soon enough =)
I know of a retailer that never stopped selling them, courtesy of Canon Hong Kong.

jVillaPhoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • JVillaPhoto
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
Would this increase shipments from Canon to retailers by any chance? Seems like a 5DMK3 body only is nowhere to be bought  :-\

Well, this answers my question!
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/the-5d-mark-iii-will-start-shipping-again/
I'm now very happy to hopefully be getting one for myself soon enough =)
I know of a retailer that never stopped selling them, courtesy of Canon Hong Kong.

:o
Which retailer was this?
5D Mark III, 60D,
50L, 70-200 f/2.8L II (35L coming soon!)
www.jvillaphoto.com

Hesham

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May.
Bravo, Canon! Excellently handled by Canon, despite their foolish original statement. Hopefully now, those users who believe this to be an issue will leave these forums in peace.

To those who do send your camera in, do not expect that Canon will "fix" the "issue," but simply acknowledge that the camera is operational as they intended it to be. That is, I doubt they will actually change parts, but merely inspect in case your device is an anomaly and features an actually light leak issue not present in the wider community.

Now, let us put this to bed and start shooting. :)

They cleverly avoided a re-call. The fact that they identified serial numbers of "affected" bodies is a clear indication that those bodies are different from others. People planning to sell the camera down the road will have a hard time getting good value if their serial falls into this category.

Personally, I am packing the camera today and its going back to the retailer, period. 

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-only-digital-slr-camera.html

They only sell to Australian customers as far as I know, but they are linked to a distributor which provides to many online grey sellers (as I am moving into the retail business, I won't name names). I have never had any issues with them and was also one of the first to get a 5D Mark III due to their fast turnaround and shipping.

I know of someone who purchased and received one last week, so they had stock at least as late as that.

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »
However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May.
Bravo, Canon! Excellently handled by Canon, despite their foolish original statement. Hopefully now, those users who believe this to be an issue will leave these forums in peace.

To those who do send your camera in, do not expect that Canon will "fix" the "issue," but simply acknowledge that the camera is operational as they intended it to be. That is, I doubt they will actually change parts, but merely inspect in case your device is an anomaly and features an actually light leak issue not present in the wider community.

Now, let us put this to bed and start shooting. :)

They cleverly avoided a re-call. The fact that they identified serial numbers of "affected" bodies is a clear indication that those bodies are different from others. People planning to sell the camera down the road will have a hard time getting good value if their serial falls into this category.

Personally, I am packing the camera today and its going back to the retailer, period.
I doubt and hope that they don't actually go about dismantling your camera, for fear that you will be out of a camera and also jeopardising the structural integrity for the sake of "correcting" something that doesn't need to be corrected. I would say that they will only make modification if your particular device features extreme light leaks, beyond those commonly reported.

Time will tell. Please let the rest of us here know the outcome of your actions.

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »
Affected Product
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
   For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (
  • represents any optional number.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone with a 5D3 with the serial number xxxxx3xxxxxx ? I wonder if there is any modification to the top LCD in the later serial numbers that seals the light leak.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »

vWings

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • vWings
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
I'm all for renaming this to the light leak non-issue and moving on.

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 01:48:59 AM »
did canon fix the problem and will be implementing this change on all new units produced in the factories from now on?
eg. are the new models xxxxx3xxxx onwards going to have the light leak fixed?

what actually happened over here?

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:16 AM »
if it does not affect the image then why would they even offer to inspect the camera if needed???  :o :o :o

+1 nicely said

briansquibb

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »
if it does not affect the image then why would they even offer to inspect the camera if needed???  :o :o :o

To stop the mass hysteria over a trivial issue

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 03:31:47 AM »
I was going to buy a 5D3 straight up, but now I think I'll let it mature a bit with firmware and also for the hardware fix for this issue to flow through as I don't want a “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx”  serial number body.

I'll keep an eye on the forums for when stocks of newer bodies show up in shops and then order then. I've got a massive month of shooting in August, so will look to buy in mid August. 3 months will hopefully be enough time to flush out these "non-issue light leak" bodies.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »
Here it is. 

Canon find the way of doing nothing.

The say if you think there is something wrong with your camera canon will check it for free starting in mid may. 
By that time you forgot all this.

I will say send a clear message to canon returning your camara like i did and buy another one when they fix the design.

If you forget the problem in just a few weeks, is it really a problem at all?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »

Astro

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
Here it is. 

Canon find the way of doing nothing.

The say if you think there is something wrong with your camera canon will check it for free starting in mid may. 
By that time you forgot all this.

I will say send a clear message to canon returning your camara like i did and buy another one when they fix the design.

Serious!!!  Man, ever since the invention of in-camera meters they have never been 100% accurate. 

don´t waste your time on trolls!
some would not be satisfied even when the canon CEO would "repair" their camera personally.

but then i guess only a few of the complainers actually OWN a 5D MK3.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:49:18 AM by Astro »

Astro

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »

because people tend to be idiots .. and they like to creating a fuzz on the internet?
just guessing....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:22 AM »