July 24, 2014, 03:03:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 32459 times)

briansquibb

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »
Who keeps the light on when shooting in the dark?

If shooting closeups then there is a distinct possibility that the light will reflect onto the subject and spoil the shot anyway

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »

Astro

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:34 AM »
Here it is. 

Canon find the way of doing nothing.

The say if you think there is something wrong with your camera canon will check it for free starting in mid may. 
By that time you forgot all this.

I will say send a clear message to canon returning your camara like i did and buy another one when they fix the design.

if you forget the problem in just a few weeks, is it really a problem at all?

nicely said.. and it shows the stupidity towards this "issue" some have.

rambarra

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 04:55:15 AM »
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-only-digital-slr-camera.html

They only sell to Australian customers as far as I know, but they are linked to a distributor which provides to many online grey sellers (as I am moving into the retail business, I won't name names). I have never had any issues with them and was also one of the first to get a 5D Mark III due to their fast turnaround and shipping.

I know of someone who purchased and received one last week, so they had stock at least as late as that.

yes. there's stock in HK of 5D3 bodies (and kits) and grey market never got short of these. We will be receiving some units next week so I will be able to check serials, but I am nearly sure that cameras will be affected. My HK guy said they just don't care and they are too busy to check. As a matter of fact it will take a while to clear the market from "defective" units. I don't really think that Canon recalled them. Their policy will likely be "if customer complains we will offer a "fix".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:57:39 AM by rambarra »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »
This is a very reasonable response from Canon. No need to recall and create hysteria when the overwhelming majority of users won't be affected anyway.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:38 AM »
did canon fix the problem and will be implementing this change on all new units produced in the factories from now on?
eg. are the new models xxxxx3xxxx onwards going to have the light leak fixed?

what actually happened over here?

This is what the release would suggest.  Remember graig mentionned some kretailers had received new batch of mkiii and that the top screen seemed different. 
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

llcanon

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »
If the series number is the count of production units, it means the first 2 millions would have the issue. That's gonna take well to sell. Anyone have an idea of what the number stands for? Country code, factory code, or batch/ date code?

hectorjr

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »
I have yet to see shots where the light leak has affected the photos. Since it happens it very dark situations there would not have been an acceptable shot to begin with :-)

OT, I wonder why the black market has an abundant (and cheap!) supply of the 5D3 while my local dealer is only speculating, not confirming, that they will get a new shipment in 2 weeks. Where are all these cheap 5D3's coming from? I want mine as soon as possible, but from a legit source, even though purchasing from a dodgy dealer could have saved me enough money to buy a spanking new lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »
If the series number is the count of production units, it means the first 2 millions would have the issue. That's gonna take well to sell. Anyone have an idea of what the number stands for? Country code, factory code, or batch/ date code?

Are you serious? The serial number doesn't mean how many they have produced. Maybe they started producing from the from a number later in the code. Eg. 2399222321 means 22321 is the amount they've produced.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:48:58 PM by ramon123 »

2020digging

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
Quote from: Astro link=topic=5975.msg113419#msg113419 date=1335254014

nicely said.. and it shows the stupidity towards this "issue" some have.
[/quote

Calm down mate! Does it bother you so much that others have a different view to you?

llcanon

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
I was going to buy a 5D3 straight up, but now I think I'll let it mature a bit with firmware and also for the hardware fix for this issue to flow through as I don't want a “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx”  serial number body.

I'll keep an eye on the forums for when stocks of newer bodies show up in shops and then order then. I've got a massive month of shooting in August, so will look to buy in mid August. 3 months will hopefully be enough time to flush out these "non-issue light leak" bodies.

We will need tons of "non-issue" believers to continue buying the "defective" units so that the "issue" believers could get their hands on the good ones soon.  Is it fair to the customers? Canon should recall the units that have not been sold intead of keeping shipping them. Shame on Canon! This issue will definitely affect resale value.

For those who received their units after Canon's response, please post your series number.

ratnev

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »
This is from canon-europe...

FAQ: EOS 5D Mark III - Quality Issue Announcement
Issue

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has decided on our service policy to address this phenomenon, so we would like to inform you of the details as described below.

Affected Products
EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2.

For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or  “xxxxx2xxxxxx” (x represents any optional number)

Cause
In extremely dark environments*, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, when shooting with a lens attached, this change in exposure value will not significantly affect the shooting results.

* Some examples of a dark environment are as follows:

1. When the body cap is attached

2. When the lens cap is attached

Answer :

The products affected by this issue will be inspected and repaired free of charge after 10 May 2012 therefore you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities.

If you have any further enquiries, please contact us using the e-mail support or telephone support option.

We offer our sincere apologies to customers who have been inconvenienced by this. Canon strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers, and we spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
that was posted earlier, I think more than once, there's a special topic specifically for the wording of the Canon Europe press release.

mrjimmy

• Power Shot G16
  • 5DMK3 7D 50D 70-200L 17-40L 85 1.8 50 1.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
Canon UK is going to fix it. not just inspect it. The products affected by this issue will be inspected and repaired free of charge after 10 May 2012 therefore you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities. So It seems Canon UAS will do the same and fix it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:57:12 AM by mrjimmy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Mid of May onwards because Canon need to train their technicians on the repair procedures, not because they hope users will forget.

alberto

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
I was going to buy a 5D3 straight up, but now I think I'll let it mature a bit with firmware and also for the hardware fix for this issue to flow through as I don't want a “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx”  serial number body.

I'll keep an eye on the forums for when stocks of newer bodies show up in shops and then order then. I've got a massive month of shooting in August, so will look to buy in mid August. 3 months will hopefully be enough time to flush out these "non-issue light leak" bodies.

We will need tons of "non-issue" believers to continue buying the "defective" units so that the "issue" believers could get their hands on the good ones soon.  Is it fair to the customers? Canon should recall the units that have not been sold intead of keeping shipping them. Shame on Canon! This issue will definitely affect resale value.

For those who received their units after Canon's response, please post your series number.

I agree, you 100 %

such an flimsy answer from Canon, this could not belivabale I am waiting for a clear answer or action.

Exp.

1. Yes, we are sorry but this is a real issue or fault in our camera---bring it in for repair we fix it or we will change your body.

2. Yes, we tested the body/camera in our labs but the camera didn‘t show any abnormally in all conditions.

-----------------------------------------------

We have to be very straight with them in the meantime they ask also for a lot of Money, for the products they sell and an "normal Photographer prof. " has to work a lot to pay his hardware. We are not all Ran..

Have a nice day
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:04:29 AM by alberto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »