July 25, 2014, 01:29:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 32490 times)

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Those of you who do not care about the light leak issue, please don't bash those who do care for one reason or another. May be you will never run into the issue with the type of photography you do but there are legitimate reasons that this will affect certain types of photography.

The problem is, when the scene is dark enough for the "problem" to manifest itself, it's also too dark for the meter to work reliably. If you think that the meter is giving you the "right" exposure in those dim conditions and the backlight / LCD is throwing off the meter, you're just fooling yourself. The fact of the matter is that, if you're using the camera's meter below EV 1, it's all just an approximation...and, if you're using it below EV -1 (where the "problem" first begins to show up), the meter is little more than a rough guesstimate.

Sure, use it to get a test exposure in the ballpark when you're doing long exposure or insane ISO work. But please don't kid yourself that the meter is right. The proper way to get the right exposure is either by intelligent reading of the preview and histogram, or by bracketing. Or, in the case of insane ISO work, by realizing that you're not going to get National Geographic-quality results in the first place, so don't even pretend to worry about it.

And, oh-by-the-way, I've yet to even hear of a photographic meter (dedicated, built-in, or otherwise) that's designed to produce trustworthy results below EV -1, so it's not like this is a problem with the camera.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

jchong62

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
No wonder my video taken in a dimly lit room was worse than the other one taken with my Digital Rebel.

Thanks for advising me 5D3 doesn't offer what a Digital Rebel can do.

Those of you who do not care about the light leak issue, please don't bash those who do care for one reason or another. May be you will never run into the issue with the type of photography you do but there are legitimate reasons that this will affect certain types of photography.

The problem is, when the scene is dark enough for the "problem" to manifest itself, it's also too dark for the meter to work reliably. If you think that the meter is giving you the "right" exposure in those dim conditions and the backlight / LCD is throwing off the meter, you're just fooling yourself. The fact of the matter is that, if you're using the camera's meter below EV 1, it's all just an approximation...and, if you're using it below EV -1 (where the "problem" first begins to show up), the meter is little more than a rough guesstimate.

Sure, use it to get a test exposure in the ballpark when you're doing long exposure or insane ISO work. But please don't kid yourself that the meter is right. The proper way to get the right exposure is either by intelligent reading of the preview and histogram, or by bracketing. Or, in the case of insane ISO work, by realizing that you're not going to get National Geographic-quality results in the first place, so don't even pretend to worry about it.

And, oh-by-the-way, I've yet to even hear of a photographic meter (dedicated, built-in, or otherwise) that's designed to produce trustworthy results below EV -1, so it's not like this is a problem with the camera.

Cheers,

b&

cln

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Well, the problem is, having a rough reading of the exposure that's at least some what predictable and you could work with is still better than having random reading thrown off by arbitrary light fall on the LCD panel that you can not even work with. I just don't get you logic: if it's not accurate, it might as well be random readings? This is beyond me.

pd2002

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
FYI
My friend in Thailand got 5D MARK III with light leak fixed (new lot)
His serial is xxxxx0xxxxxx

Raddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 02:54:55 AM »
</strong>Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.</p>
[/html]

While Canon US is speaking of an inspection, Canon germany is mentioning an inspection plus a "repair".  ;)

http://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_5D_Mark_III.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm%3A83-925652&page=1&type=important
5D Mark III (gripped) | 60D (gripped)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Speedlite 430EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

briansquibb

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:11 AM »
I just love the comments along the line of  'I operate the camera in a way it wasn't intended and I get a fault so I am returning it' or the 'I dont like the wording on the press release so I am returning it' or the 'I am returning it and will buy another in a couple of months when they have fixed the issue'

Just waiting for  'the embroidered strap is useless so I am sending it back'

I wonder how they get on to the internet via their computers - all OS have bugs - or perhaps they use an iPhone :)

Clearly they are not a relation of Spock

:D

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 04:17:20 AM »
FYI

I thought the serial number generally go up in number eg. xxxxx3xxxxxx

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 04:17:20 AM »

cln

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
I am sorry that people returning products they don't like offends you so much, Mr. Spock.

Now, let's move on with our earthly life, shall we?

I just love the comments along the line of  'I operate the camera in a way it wasn't intended and I get a fault so I am returning it' or the 'I dont like the wording on the press release so I am returning it' or the 'I am returning it and will buy another in a couple of months when they have fixed the issue'

I wonder how they get on to the internet via their computers - all OS have bugs - or perhaps they use an iPhone :)

jchong62

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
Right. Let's move on with our life.

We, who are returning our 5D Mark III, aren't offending you people who are keeping yours. Why bother? If we are affecting your resale value, sorry about that but we have different beliefs.

I feel bad to have to return mine, but I'll get one as soon as the new serial numbers of unaffected ones come back in stock. I am sure I will be much happier then.

I am sorry that people returning products they don't like offends you so much, Mr. Spock.

Now, let's move on with our earthly life, shall we?

briansquibb

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
It is not returning the cameras which is the issue but the very public manner which the minor issue was dealt with by the user.

Shouting and threatning is not always the best approach. And now thousands of 5DIII owners have been hit in the wallet over a trivial thing because of the confrontational way the users dealt with what they thought MIGHT be a problem.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »

We, who are returning our 5D Mark III, aren't offending you people who are keeping yours. Why bother? If we are affecting your resale value, sorry about that but we have different beliefs.

I feel bad to have to return mine, but I'll get one as soon as the new serial numbers of unaffected ones come back in stock. I am sure I will be much happier then.

One thing.....like many, I'll be ordering online soon...how to know what the serial number is, till you get the box, and open it and look at the camera?

C

jchong62

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »
I placed an order yesterday, and called to put a note on my order which states I want the serial number NOT to be xxxxx1 or xxxxx2.

Our action for returning our 5d3 will likely affect the resale price of the defective units. I wish them the best of luck.

One thing.....like many, I'll be ordering online soon...how to know what the serial number is, till you get the box, and open it and look at the camera?

C

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

C

No. I spoke to a Canon rep on the phone who said that the serial number is also found on the box of the camera. So it's worth while to check both the box and under the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »

C

No. I spoke to a Canon rep on the phone who said that the serial number is also found on the box of the camera. So it's worth while to check both the box and under the camera.

I wonder if one can request when ordering online from say, crutchfield.....to only send a unit without the offending serial numbers?

C

pd2002

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
FYI

I thought the serial number generally go up in number eg. xxxxx3xxxxxx

I think so too but the light leak problem has gone with his serial (xxxxx0xxxxxx).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »