October 21, 2014, 10:33:52 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 34272 times)

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »
There's new batch of 5D3s in China start with "3" now.
Canon China also recalled and fixed "1" and "2" 5D3s from dealer, then put a white mark inside the CF door.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »

javier

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
There's new batch of 5D3s in China start with "3" now.
Canon China also recalled and fixed "1" and "2" 5D3s from dealer, then put a white mark inside the CF door.

EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR cameras

* Serial number digit "1" or "2" product.
Cases: xxxxx1xxxxxx "or" xxxxx2xxxxxx "(x is any number)
However, the serial number if the CF card inside of the cover affixed with a white mark
Outside the scope of this object (see the figure).

NutsAndBolts

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
I guess most people who have one has the '1' or '2' on the serial here like I have? I will be contacting Canon and ask for a replacement.

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
Mine is a "1". But I don't care to do anything about it. This issue does not effect me in the slightest bit. Does it bother you that much?

NutsAndBolts

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Well not unless I want to sell it and upgrade in the future.

Mine is a "1". But I don't care to do anything about it. This issue does not effect me in the slightest bit. Does it bother you that much?

jchong62

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »
Canon USA refused a replacement for mine earlier this week. Let us know if you get better luck.

However, there will be a Canon rebate program running from 4/29 to 6/02. By combining lenses and 5d3, you'll get a better price. Keep that in mind.

I guess most people who have one has the '1' or '2' on the serial here like I have? I will be contacting Canon and ask for a replacement.

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »
Mine has a zero, which is not part of the "affected" series. [I was able to reproduce the light leak issue with the lens cap on, tho]. So, are the serial numbers sequential, which would imply that early models were somehow different than slightly later, but not much later ones? Or do the numbers represent different manufacturing sites?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »

stupidmei

« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2012, 01:02:23 AM »
I emailed Canon USA today. They also refuse provide replacement.
However, per warranty term & condition:
"Product returned to a Canon repair facility and proven to be defective upon inspection will, at Canon’s sole discretion and without charge, be (a) repaired utilizing new,
remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Canon repair facility. warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product."
They have three ways to do that.
If they admit first batch are "defect" to fulfill the agreement they should not only do inspection.
I think I will keep contact them and also consult lawyer about these terms.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »
I emailed Canon USA today. They also refuse provide replacement.
However, per warranty term & condition:
"Product returned to a Canon repair facility and proven to be defective upon inspection will, at Canon’s sole discretion and without charge, be (a) repaired utilizing new,
remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Canon repair facility. warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product."
They have three ways to do that.
If they admit first batch are "defect" to fulfill the agreement they should not only do inspection.
I think I will keep contact them and also consult lawyer about these terms.

Take note of the bolded bit.  They have kept true to the contract.  They used their sole discretion.

SeaLight

« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
FYI, I just bought a 5D Mark III body from Beach Camera and emailed them to ask if the bodies they are sending out have the light leak issue, as I saw in a previous thread that they all of the sudden started shipping before anybody else.  Their response to me was, "According to Canon, the new cameras that we have just received today do not have the light leak issue." So I would suggest buying from them if you're in a hurry, as I was.  They had a decent amount on eBay that were shipping immediately and I was able to swoop one up quickly on Friday.  Shipping estimate was May 1-7.

EDIT: I don't see them on eBay anymore, so I don't know if they sold all of them or what the case is, but the fact that they are getting the new shipments in is a good sign for all vendors!

goclaygo

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
I just received my markiii from B&H, I have a zero as my identifiable serial number not a 1,2 or 3

havent had a chance to test the light leak yet, but what do you think ?  taped or not taped?

MillerTime

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
Ok, it's nice that Canon has fixed the issue on new shipments, but what about everyone who already has the camera?  How do I get mine fixed?  I am not going to tear apart my camera and void the warranty. Is there a recall?

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
I just received my markiii from B&H, I have a zero as my identifiable serial number not a 1,2 or 3

havent had a chance to test the light leak yet, but what do you think ?  taped or not taped?

Does it have the white dot inside the door?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »
Well, mine also has the zero, but no white dot; received it back in March before all this stuff started.

silverbluenote

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »
Fix, good or not. It doesn't look good to most people. I hear you that some equipment have duct tape inside but most people dont know this and after this people will hear that canon "fixed" all their 5D3 with duct tape, it's not going to be good.  lots of them aren't going to buy the camera because of it and if canon will come up with a new revision, which they might, it will definitely affect resale value.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2012, 02:09:39 AM »