October 24, 2014, 07:55:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)  (Read 34360 times)

Wideopen

Re: Canon 5D Mark III Light Leak Resolution (Canon USA)
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »
Fix, good or not. It doesn't look good to most people. I hear you that some equipment have duct tape inside but most people dont know this and after this people will hear that canon "fixed" all their 5D3 with duct tape, it's not going to be good.  lots of them aren't going to buy the camera because of it and if canon will come up with a new revision, which they might, it will definitely affect resale value.

Its not duct tape its "Proprietary weather/light sealing material"  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2012, 04:00:08 AM »
Fix, good or not. It doesn't look good to most people. I hear you that some equipment have duct tape inside but most people dont know this and after this people will hear that canon "fixed" all their 5D3 with duct tape, it's not going to be good.  lots of them aren't going to buy the camera because of it and if canon will come up with a new revision, which they might, it will definitely affect resale value.

Its not duct tape its "Proprietary weather/light sealing material"  :P

Maybe it's time to open a Nikon D800.
See what's in there.

This 5D mark iii surgery and complains is hilarious.

wshinji

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:59 AM »
Regardless if its a big or small issue ...

At the end of the day, if its not suppose to let light leak into the camera and affects the metering then its a flaw in the product. Im happy that canon is willing to repair affected units but its still a pain.

If you paid good money for the product it should be as perfect as it can be. Even if this has no effect on your photography its always a positive to know that Canon has released a product that does everything it is suppose to with peace of mind. I paid good money and rely on Canon and their experience to ensure the gear that im using is top notch because they are the engineers, developers and masters of building a Camera. 

If Canon wasnt into Photography they wouldnt be able to create the Cameras that they do today. I also respect that Canon isnt able to identify all possible issues but once an external pro photographer has located this issue and knows its present in the 5d3 and possibly other cameras, Canon should find a solution to fix this issue on all affected cameras because they as a Camera manufacturer with magnitude of experience wasnt able to identify this issue in the first place.

my 2cents, GLHF
;D

briansquibb

« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:39 AM »
Regardless if its a big or small issue ...

At the end of the day, if its not suppose to let light leak into the camera and affects the metering then its a flaw in the product. Im happy that canon is willing to repair affected units but its still a pain.

If you paid good money for the product it should be as perfect as it can be. Even if this has no effect on your photography its always a positive to know that Canon has released a product that does everything it is suppose to with peace of mind. I paid good money and rely on Canon and their experience to ensure the gear that im using is top notch because they are the engineers, developers and masters of building a Camera. 

If Canon wasnt into Photography they wouldnt be able to create the Cameras that they do today. I also respect that Canon isnt able to identify all possible issues but once an external pro photographer has located this issue and knows its present in the 5d3 and possibly other cameras, Canon should find a solution to fix this issue on all affected cameras because they as a Camera manufacturer with magnitude of experience wasnt able to identify this issue in the first place.

my 2cents, GLHF
;D

I wasn't suggesting the leak shouldn't be fixed - which they have now done.

However the interweb shouting has done little but impact on all Canon users by reducing the resiual values of their kit.

My beef is the way is the hysterical way the community has reponded to a very minor issue which could have been resolved in a calm and collected manner.

STEMI_RN

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
At least they didn't respond to a complaint like Apple did with the antennae on the iPhone 4 and just pretend that it's not a problem at all and ignore the complaints.  The fact that Canon is willing to quickly admit the problem, investigate the mistake, and put out the money to fix it for anyone at NO COST, shows that they still have the business integrity for me to stay loyal to them.
60d, Digital Rebel XT, Mamiya 645, etch-a-sketch.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
At least they didn't respond to a complaint like Apple did with the antennae on the iPhone 4 and just pretend that it's not a problem at all and ignore the complaints. 

IIRC, Apple did (eventually) cop to the issue and handed out free bumpers as a 'fix'.  Canon's response was faster, to be sure, even though the antenna 'death grip' was a real issue affecting a large group of users, which this 'light leak' is not.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jchong62

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
J&R shipped out the "replacement" of my 5d3 kit today. My old serial number's 6th digit is a "1". The new one (hopefully without the light leak issue) is an "8".

It's an "8". I am thrilled and look forward to receiving it next week.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »

ac5d3

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2012, 03:13:39 AM »
NEW LIGHT LEAK FOUND ON THE CANON EOS 5D MARK III 3

patrickyandoc

« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:11 AM »

its like this with all cameras. not an issue. a little bit of light can seep through a viewfinder

Hesham

Whyis this thread still alive??? we got passed the LL issue, go on....
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

its like this with all cameras. not an issue. a little bit of light can seep through a viewfinder

unclemat

« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
I am returning my light leaking body to the store (Crutchfield). It's a body with "2" digit in the serial; I got it at the end of March. Just received a new one with "3" in the serial. I am glad I bought from Crutchfield since they have 60-day return policy. I have no desire to deal with Canon repair center.

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »

Yep, this is nothing new - it's talked about in Canon's camera manuals.  My 1V film camera even has a handy little built-in cover that blocks the viewfinder to prevent this from happening.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
Are the bodies where the serial number's 6th digit is greater than 2 all fixed with duct tape ("proprietary weather/light sealing material") too or did Canon redesign the camera internally a bit?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:45:37 PM by ageha »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:22 AM »
Are the bodies where the serial number's 6th digit is greater than 2 all fixed with duct tape ("proprietary weather/light sealing material") too or did Canon redesign the camera internally a bit?
My understanding is that they changed the design a bit... I could be wrong though.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
My understanding is that they changed the design a bit... I could be wrong though.
Interesting nobody seems to know how Canon fixed it. :P I don't want to buy a body for SG$4k with duct tape inside. ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »