October 25, 2014, 05:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!  (Read 13743 times)

llcanon

Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »
I can't help starting this new thread, because I want us loyal early adopters and all customers to be treated fairly by Canon.

First, I'v shooting Canon for 15 years. I have two 5D3’s. Neither of them showed any “noticeable” effect. Both of them are still within 30-day return period. I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately. Whether it affects real world shooting or not, it is a product with defect. If Canon wants to earn trust from its loyal and prospective customers, be bold and offer to swap out the defective units unconditionally free of charge.

I know many of us do not want to lose the camera for some short period of time and that's why we have been defending Canon including myself. BUT, forgiving the bad business practice can only encourage abuse of the customers.

Remember iPhone 4? Apple ultimately paid the price by issuing $15 to all its owners. Some lawyer is probably happily laughing right now when they saw Canon's response.

I am writing to Canon today. This is not the solution. And this is not over yet.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »

april

Re: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »
I can't help starting this new thread, because I want us loyal early adopters and all customers to be treated fairly by Canon.

First, I'v shooting Canon for 15 years. I have two 5D3’s. Neither of them showed any “noticeable” effect. Both of them are still within 30-day return period. I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately. Whether it affects real world shooting or not, it is a product with defect. If Canon wants to earn trust from its loyal and prospective customers, be bold and offer to swap out the defective units unconditionally free of charge.

I know many of us do not want to lose the camera for some short period of time and that's why we have been defending Canon including myself. BUT, forgiving the bad business practice can only encourage abuse of the customers.

Remember iPhone 4? Apple ultimately paid the price by issuing $15 to all its owners. Some lawyer is probably happily laughing right now when they saw Canon's response.

I am writing to Canon today. This is not the solution. And this is not over yet.

:) good on you mate!! +1 totally agree

javier

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
I send my 5D3 for refund the day before canon accepted the leak problem.

I agree with you if canon do not take their customers serious we will make then take us serious.

return your camera and force them to fix the design.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »

While you guys are whining. I'm enjoying shooting with my 5D Mark III.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

LanceF

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:18:05 AM »
Loving my 5DMiii shooting everyday.

"STOP shipping the defective products immediately. Whether it affects real world shooting or not"

I bet 99% of the electronics you own have defects and you don't know about them.  Weather it's a resistor not resisting the exact amount of current or 1 pixel on your tv that is only putting out 99% of the light it should.

You really should be bitching at every company and not just Canon.  Fridge, Microwave, the shingles on your roof wearing prematurely, the list goes on.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:28:31 AM by LanceF »

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
I have yet to see an image where this supposed issue affected it, have you?

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »
Sorry but this makes no sense.  You don't have any noticeable problem and if you learned to shoot in manual, you would never have a problem, so you're returning?  If all producers of consumer good had your approach you'd never get any consumer goods at all.  Bear in mind also that the mkII also had issues like this. If producers never shipped for fear of there being faults nothing would ever get shipped.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:51 AM »

javier

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
I have yet to see an image where this supposed issue affected it, have you?

I return my 5d Mark III, BEFORE the light leak problem because I notice the images came dark and the meter was 2/3 to 1 stop off, If I want to take a picture with a good exposure balance I had to take the image +2/3 to +1 every time.

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

I do understand why people may feel a bit unhappy about receiving a non-perfect product. I'm a 5DIII owner myself, and while I would of course prefer if the camera didn't have this issue, I don't think that Canon is handling this poorly. They are offering a fix (I called and verified this with canon china) and not just an "inspection", so for those of you who think this is a big problem, just send in your cameras!

No company would do a recall because of a phenomena of this kind. This time the community happened to stumble over this before Canon did, but there are and will be bigger problems than this with any newly launched products. Most of the time the manufacturer rectifies this in subsequent production batches without the public ever knowing. If a design or manufacturing problem causes product failure or the product to perform out of spec, a recall would be the right thing to do, but this is not the case with the light leakage.

Am I annoyed? I tiny bit perhaps, but as this will not affect me I've decided not to send in my camera. To demand a recall of all shipped units is neither realistic nor called for.

In this case, I'm sure the canon management team were even discussing to issue a statement saying that the product performs according to specifications and no further actions will be taken. Luckily for Canon they didn't choose this route, as it would have been a PR disaster and, good for us, they will fix it if you want. As they should.

EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
Does this mean that we'll be seeing 5DIII's in the Canon refurb store soon?   ::)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »
Does this mean that we'll be seeing 5DIII's in the Canon refurb store soon?   ::)

Hmmmm...

Nah! Just disinfected, cleaned and put in a new box...

llcanon

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »
Sorry but this makes no sense.  You don't have any noticeable problem and if you learned to shoot in manual, you would never have a problem, so you're returning?  If all producers of consumer good had your approach you'd never get any consumer goods at all.  Bear in mind also that the mkII also had issues like this. If producers never shipped for fear of there being faults nothing would ever get shipped.

If this is not an issue at all, why would Canon even bother "fixing" it. Just say "we will continue shipping the product, and if you think you have a problem, send your camera in and we'll take a look". By identifying certain units being "defective", it will hurt the resale value of those units for sure.

I have no control of the products I received before the problem was discovered. But Canon can control how it delivers its product. To treat its customers fairly, it should start shipping the "fixed" product instead of continuing the shipment of the "defective" ones to clear its inventory.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
Can we just delete these useless threads please?  ::)

This has been discussed to death, there is no need for a new thread about it.

Go take pictures. If you can with a terrible defective camera like that (sarcasm)  ::)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »

What is wrong about issuing a service warning for an issue that only exhibits at exactly the LOWEST metering sensitivity level, and only has a 1/3rd stop effect on metering, and only IF you turn on the LCD backlight...which you can certainly do to check settings, then TURN IT OFF AGAIN before actually taking the friggin shot!! It will affect a miniscule minor fraction of 5D III users who have bought one of the cameras with the specified serial numbers, and anyone who buys a camera with a 3 or greater in the 6th digit of the serial number will NOT experience the problem because it has been fixed. This is NOT a recall-worthy issue. It is a minor service call issue that can be fixed IF YOU CHOOSE TO!!

Seriously, you guys are grabbing at straws for, apparently, SOMETHING to hate on. Grow up. Get a friggin life. And USE YOUR DAMN CAMERA FOR SOMETHING USEFUL! STOP BITCHING!

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
So, you had no issue with your cameras and were shooting just fine
Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately.
They did stop shipping them. http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/04/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-recall/

Major US Retailers stopped getting stock while Canon decided how to handle the issue. When they determined (like you, btw) that it was a non-issue for real world conditions, they issued their solution and continued shipping cameras.

be bold and offer to swap out the defective units unconditionally free of charge.
They did a variation of this as well, offering to fix it if you send it in to their facility free of charge. Which is honestly more than they had to do since they confirmed it has no real world effect.

Basically, Canon did everything you just asked for an issue you agreed was nothing. Why are you mad again?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:54:07 AM by preppyak »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »