October 24, 2014, 08:59:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!  (Read 13739 times)

Autocall

Re: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

I have two 5D3’s.
;D
drumroll & cymbals..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

llcanon

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »

It will affect a miniscule minor fraction of 5D III users who have bought one of the cameras with the specified serial numbers, and anyone who buys a camera with a 3 or greater in the 6th digit of the serial number will NOT experience the problem because it has been fixed. This is NOT a recall-worthy issue. It is a minor service call issue that can be fixed IF YOU CHOOSE TO!!

Well, I sincerely hope the one you will be receiving has a series number with a "3 or greater". I expect you and many others will receive a "1" or "2". The only thing I asked Canon to do is from now on, only ship the fixed units.   

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
Ahh.. the righteousness indignation of the average user these days.

"How dare someone provide me with something that's not perfect. I mean, I know it'll never happen, but if it did my exposures might be a tiny tiny bit different".

Yep - well worth all of the fuss I'd say.

P.S If it's not clear, I've preordered mine and will lose not one second of sleep due to this complete non-issue.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »

It will affect a miniscule minor fraction of 5D III users who have bought one of the cameras with the specified serial numbers, and anyone who buys a camera with a 3 or greater in the 6th digit of the serial number will NOT experience the problem because it has been fixed. This is NOT a recall-worthy issue. It is a minor service call issue that can be fixed IF YOU CHOOSE TO!!

Well, I sincerely hope the one you will be receiving has a series number with a "3 or greater". I expect you and many others will receive a "1" or "2". The only thing I asked Canon to do is from now on, only ship the fixed units.

Canon has already made the determination that the issue is not worthy of a recall. They won't waste millions of dollars of manufactured goods, so you should expect that every last one of the "1" and "2" serial series will indeed be shipped. Canon has done their due diligence and announced the issue. You, as a consumer, can choose whether to buy a camera with either of those serial numbers, or wait and buy one that has a fix. Or you can buy one of the ones with the issue and send it in to be fixed.

Astro

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »
yawn.....

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

Seriously, you guys are grabbing at straws for, apparently, SOMETHING to hate on. Grow up. Get a friggin life. And USE YOUR DAMN CAMERA FOR SOMETHING USEFUL! STOP BITCHING!

in the last several days that i've been reading your posts, this is the first time i see an un-jrista response from you.
a round of JD to cool off may be? :)
5D MkIII

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

First, I'v shooting Canon for 15 years. I have two 5D3’s. Neither of them showed any “noticeable” effect. Both of them are still within 30-day return period. I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

Just love the logic there - 'couldn't find anthing wrong with the camera but I am going to send it back because I dont like how they treated people with a possible problem'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

llcanon

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
Alright, my friends, I knew I would be stoned by our loyal Canon shooters.  ;D

It's time to put a stop to this discussion. All of sudden, one consumer has become the target under attack by other consumers.

I will return mine and order a new one in a couple of months when Canon starts to ship the fixed ones.

You may keep yours and enjoy shooting.

If you haven't received yours, I bet you will do two things:

1. Check the series number
2. Press LCD light and check the reading.

Who discovered this issue in the first place anyway? I wonder if he/she still has his/her 5D3. ;)

Good day, everyone!

Zlatko

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
This makes no sense at all.  The camera is not "defective" in any way.  The alleged "defect" doesn't affect anyone except those who photograph their lens caps. 

Have you found any instance in which it affects a photograph?  Have you, really? 

Canon is being generous to even offer to inspect cameras.  This is a huge tempest in a teapot, and nothing that affects any real photographer or photograph. 

I am not sending the 5D3 back.  I am not sending it anywhere, not even to be inspected.  I've been using it and finding it to be the best, most capable camera I've ever used. 

Every electronic product on the market likely has some comparable nonsensical "defect".  Every machine in your home and garage probably has some comparable nonsensical "defect". 

This notion of perfection is reaching a new level of craziness.  Canon, STOP selling cameras to people who find nonsensical "defects"!  The rest of us will use the cameras very well, as they were intended.

I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
oh the drama
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
I suppose the OP never took delivery of a new automobile until the manufacturer was able to certify that it had been tested for every conceivable set of circumstances that might slightly cause the automobile to perform less than perfectly and would never, ever need to be returned to the dealer for service or adjustment.

I suppose that the OP also performs perfectly in every way possible in his or her job or profession, each and every minute of each and every day of each and every year.

Listening to the rants about something that would never have an impact in any way 99.9999999% of the time blows my mind.  And to read that an individual has 2 of these bodies that have been working great, is going to return them, makes me shake my head.

People..... instead of sitting at the keyboard typing this nonsense, GO OUT AND TAKE SOME PICTURES.
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

http://www.harveyg.smugmug.com

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »

Seriously, you guys are grabbing at straws for, apparently, SOMETHING to hate on. Grow up. Get a friggin life. And USE YOUR DAMN CAMERA FOR SOMETHING USEFUL! STOP BITCHING!

in the last several days that i've been reading your posts, this is the first time i see an un-jrista response from you.
a round of JD to cool off may be? :)

Yes! At least one other person on this thread believes in my recipe!

But seriously, I have a few of questions for all those who are upset/mad at Canon for the light leak issue.
Any of you been in product development or manufacturing of something that is a complex piece of hardware or software - or worse - a combination of the two including firmware? Have you been in positions that include bug triage? How many bugs did you have "Open" when the product released?

I suspect none of you will have had this experience and hence you think it is the end of the world and that Canon has r@^%d you... They have not. I have been in PD since 84. It is hard to pull off a product like the 5D3 especially if you have to do the most important pieces in-house as your hands are tied. May be 5D4 will be a better camera. May be they will get a fabulous sensor either in house or from a third party. But remember! This is 1012! the world is about to end! The sky is falling. Click, shoot, print, share, enjoy before it all ends!

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
Does the 'light issue' appear when using mirror lock up?  I can't recall and don't have my own to test ;)
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »

Have you found any instance in which it affects a photograph?  Have you, really? 

Actually, if you shoot in fairly low light AND either in Av/Tv mode then you can see the camera 'correcting' the exposure when the top LCD is switched on. There could be very few occasions when this could be a potential problem.
Am i worried about this issue? - Hell No!
Am i unhappy about it? - i would have to say yes. Not because this problem could affect my photos (now that i know of the *issue* i should remind myself to review the photos in  those very few occasions or alternatively shoot in M mode) but because i don't want anyone opening up my brand new camera that is < 1 month old. If only this *issue* wasn't there at all to start with.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:18:01 PM by sach100 »
5D MkIII

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Seriously, what has this light leak thingie ever actually done to any one?
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »