October 02, 2014, 02:28:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!  (Read 13542 times)

briansquibb

Re: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
I can't help starting this new thread, because I want us loyal early adopters and all customers to be treated fairly by Canon.

First, I'v shooting Canon for 15 years. I have two 5D3’s. Neither of them showed any “noticeable” effect. Both of them are still within 30-day return period. I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately. Whether it affects real world shooting or not, it is a product with defect. If Canon wants to earn trust from its loyal and prospective customers, be bold and offer to swap out the defective units unconditionally free of charge.

I know many of us do not want to lose the camera for some short period of time and that's why we have been defending Canon including myself. BUT, forgiving the bad business practice can only encourage abuse of the customers.

Remember iPhone 4? Apple ultimately paid the price by issuing $15 to all its owners. Some lawyer is probably happily laughing right now when they saw Canon's response.

I am writing to Canon today. This is not the solution. And this is not over yet.

Wooo, hark at you and ya big pink purse.

Yep he has got Elizabeth Hurley pulling his strings  ::) ::) ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »

nitsujwalker

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2012, 03:32:52 PM »
What's funny is that I think the "light leak issue" was found by people shooting with their lens cap on looking for noise!  If there is no noticeable issue when shooting in a dim church for a wedding (realistic shooting environment) then I wouldn't take mine back (if I had one).  But I understand why people are a little upset.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
What's funny is that I think the "light leak issue" was found by people shooting with their lens cap on looking for noise!  If there is no noticeable issue when shooting in a dim church for a wedding (realistic shooting environment) then I wouldn't take mine back (if I had one).  But I understand why people are a little upset.

Not important. Nothing a peg or nine of Scotch wont fix :)

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
Personally, I don't see the issue effecting my photos nor do I expect it will, so what do I care if it exists. I can see that some people will be worried it might effect the resale value of their camera if they have one with the designated serial number. I haven't even checked to see if I do, yet, though I did verify the effect is there with my body so I'm sure I do, but when testing I realized the effect wouldn't be noticeable in any photos so I just shrug my shoulders and shake my head at anyone who is upset about it. Frankly, I'm glad there isn't a problem with it that would effect my photos. The one problem I did have has already been addressed with the firmware update (was having the time sync issues with my files). As for this non-issue effecting my cameras' resale value, we'll I fully intend on wearing this camera out, so resale value will be effected far more by the fact that by the time I'm done with it, it will probably just be a paper weight anyway. I WILL BE LOVING THIS CAMERA TO DEATH!

Michael7

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

I only buy new gear. These lenses/bodies have been defective:

300 F4 L IS (severe front focus that took three trips to fix)
17-40L (would not focus past 30mm. Took two trips to resolve)
70-300 IS (portrait orientation issue, recalled by Canon)
7D (severe focus issues, took two trips to repair. Right LCD zoom button stuck after two days also)
70-200 F4 L (front focus issues, one trip to repair)
17-55 IS (IS died within one year)
50 1.4 (AF died within one year, and died again within one year)

Almost every Canon lens I buy requires micro focus adjust. I just don't trust them. I have so much invested in their gear, that I don't want to leave. But I really wish they'd join the rest of the industry and offer four year warranties if they're not going to perform quality control tests before shipping units.

I still can't believe they're selling $10,000 lenses with a one year warranty. That's inexcusable.

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
I am returning my new Ferrari 458.  It has an advertised top speed of 320 km/h, and mine only goes to 319!  I can't believe they ship out these defective products!!

/sarcasm

Michael7

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
That was a pretty weak analogy, lol.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »

nitsujwalker

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

I only buy new gear. These lenses/bodies have been defective:

300 F4 L IS (severe front focus that took three trips to fix)
17-40L (would not focus past 30mm. Took two trips to resolve)
70-300 IS (portrait orientation issue, recalled by Canon)
7D (severe focus issues, took two trips to repair. Right LCD zoom button stuck after two days also)
70-200 F4 L (front focus issues, one trip to repair)
17-55 IS (IS died within one year)
50 1.4 (AF died within one year, and died again within one year)

Almost every Canon lens I buy requires micro focus adjust. I just don't trust them. I have so much invested in their gear, that I don't want to leave. But I really wish they'd join the rest of the industry and offer four year warranties if they're not going to perform quality control tests before shipping units.

I still can't believe they're selling $10,000 lenses with a one year warranty. That's inexcusable.

I own or have owned 4 of the listed items and never had an issue (maybe it's hit or miss quality control) and don't need MA for any of the lenses 50 1.4, 70-200f4 or 17-40.  But I can say that i've had problems with a Nikon d7000, 35mm 1.8... Both several trips to a very UNHELPFUL Nikon before supposedly fixing them... Yes I sold my Nikon stuff and came to Canon.  Canon is NOT the only company who releases "problematic" cameras and lenses (if you want to call them that).  If you believe a longer warranty is in need for a 10,000 lens, I cannot argue with that!  But my point is just that Canon is one of 1000s of companies that do have little issues.  Canon is ranked much higher than Nikon in customer service satisfaction and I understand why... Dealing with Nikon was worse than pulling teeth. 

That said, I'm sorry about your issues with those lenses and 7d... I'd be pissed too.

EDIT: 

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Nikon

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Canon

of course these types of scores could be biased... but I have found it to be accurate IN MY EXPERIENCE
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:40:41 PM by nitsujwalker »

Michael7

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
I'm not really upset anymore. I just don't buy as much stuff as I used to, and try to maximize what I have. And You can bet that when my setup is working perfectly, I do not mess with it. I no longer upgrade camera bodies if mine is working properly. This is more important to me than new features for the most part.

I tried the 5D III, and owned the 5D II. Nice cameras, but the 7D really does what I need it to, with my only major complaint being the sensor. They packed too many pixels onto it. It'd be an awesome 16MP camera.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
I am returning my new Ferrari 458.  It has an advertised top speed of 320 km/h, and mine only goes to 319!  I can't believe they ship out these defective products!!

/sarcasm

;) ;) ;)Just take it back to Maranello for a speedo recalibration  ;) ;) ;)
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »
YOU ARE RIGHT !!!!

In fact, all manufacturers should stop shipping defective products immediately. The fact that means than no product will ever be sold again anywhere is of no concern to me.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:35 PM »
For me it's a non issue.  A camera meter is never 100% accurate which is why I often carry an incident meter (I sometimes shoot 120 roll with a Fuji or a Mamiya 6 x 7 rangefinder without a built in meter.  Incident meters are usually far more accurate. 

I'm not going to send mine in specifically. I might, however just mention on a routine service that it hasn't yet had the fix.  After all if they are going to open it up anyway....

120! I like the sound of that. These days when I say 120 most folks think I am talking about the time and they wonder about the acuracy of my watch...

I have the Pentax 645N (as well as the digital version) Mamiya Super Press 23 and the Fuji GX 67.  The Pentax is particularly good and the meter on it is great.  With Reala 100 you get some stunning colour.  Velvia 50 is more famous, but Reala has more range and lovely colours.

Drool.....

What can I say, I went from MF (Russian MF - but I hope it counts; it worked great for 28 years till somebody smashed it...) to AE1 to 300D and now 5D3 - and I hope to get to MF sometime...

My 645D dropped thanks to a sunsniper shoulder strap disconnecting.  Sent it away to be looked at thanks to a few buttons not working afterwards - wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't of been the drive button and the cable release socket.  Just got the estimate: £1600/$2557 inc tax.  Ouch!  Have asked for clarification as the description of work suggests only replacing buttons, and for that price I would expect them to be solid gold!

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
But if even as you say you haven't found the issue to be an issue then why the upset and the returns?
If you don't find it to be noticeable or to effect anything real world.... why such a big deal?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »

PhotoCat

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »
has anyone tried the same tests on a D800 BP   ?

Canon has always got away with defects... Remember that 20D & 30D
weren't even able to autofocus sharply with a 50/1.8 at f2.8 at a distance more
than 15 feets...   despite the focus confirm beep!

Cardad

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
When I started reading this forum I thought several posters offered useful advice.  After visiting regularly for 3-4 months, I gave it up a couple of weeks ago.  I decided to check back tonight.  I quickly remembered why I left.  See you folks.....I'd rather be out to taking pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »