September 16, 2014, 10:00:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!  (Read 13434 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
My 645D dropped thanks to a sunsniper shoulder strap disconnecting.  Sent it away to be looked at thanks to a few buttons not working afterwards - wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't of been the drive button and the cable release socket.  Just got the estimate: £1600/$2557 inc tax.  Ouch!  Have asked for clarification as the description of work suggests only replacing buttons, and for that price I would expect them to be solid gold!

Well, given that gold is sitting pretty at $1650 a try ounce (31.1 grams), and those buttons in grand total weight are probably considerably less than that, they are apparently worth MORE than solid gold! :o Thats a total ripoff. I'd ditch the 645D and get a D800 if thats the repair cost.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
My 645D dropped thanks to a sunsniper shoulder strap disconnecting.  Sent it away to be looked at thanks to a few buttons not working afterwards - wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't of been the drive button and the cable release socket.  Just got the estimate: £1600/$2557 inc tax.  Ouch!  Have asked for clarification as the description of work suggests only replacing buttons, and for that price I would expect them to be solid gold!

Well, given that gold is sitting pretty at $1650 a try ounce (31.1 grams), and those buttons in grand total weight are probably considerably less than that, they are apparently worth MORE than solid gold! :o Thats a total ripoff. I'd ditch the 645D and get a D800 if thats the repair cost.

No chance of me ditching the 645D. Invested too much in Pentax lenses from 33mm - 400mm for that and the results are better than anything the D800 can do.  Have asked them to clarify what exactly it is they are doing, and I'll have to bite the bullet if they won't budge.  I think they plan to replace the bottom where the paint has worn off the magnesium body.  I never plan to sell the camera so this doesn't bother me.  The camera just looks well used as it has been rubbing against my back pack on long walks.  I just need the drive button and/or be able to use a cable release so I can do long exposures

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »

Wow! Hope it turns out well.

Wideopen

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately. Whether it affects real world shooting or not, it is a product with defect. If Canon wants to earn trust from its loyal and prospective customers, be bold and offer to swap out the defective units unconditionally free of charge.

What is wrong about issuing a service warning for an issue that only exhibits at exactly the LOWEST metering sensitivity level, and only has a 1/3rd stop effect on metering, and only IF you turn on the LCD backlight...which you can certainly do to check settings, then TURN IT OFF AGAIN before actually taking the friggin shot!! It will affect a miniscule minor fraction of 5D III users who have bought one of the cameras with the specified serial numbers, and anyone who buys a camera with a 3 or greater in the 6th digit of the serial number will NOT experience the problem because it has been fixed. This is NOT a recall-worthy issue. It is a minor service call issue that can be fixed IF YOU CHOOSE TO!!

Seriously, you guys are grabbing at straws for, apparently, SOMETHING to hate on. Grow up. Get a friggin life. And USE YOUR DAMN CAMERA FOR SOMETHING USEFUL! STOP BITCHING!

+1 im waiting on my 2nd 5d mark iii to come in but thanx to recalls and factorys not releasing them until the problems are corrected i guess ill just have to use my 1st 5d mark iii and take pics of lens caps while i wait.   ::)

edawg

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
I ran an extensive test just now. I have concluded that this is a major issue as you can see:

First shot, LCD light OFF. Exposure time 5sec @ f4, 800 ISO:

Second shot, LCD light ON. The camera incorrectly metered the scene, underexposing dramatically with a metered value of only 4sec @ f4, 800 ISO:

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »
I ran an extensive test just now. I have concluded that this is a major issue as you can see:

Second shot, LCD light ON. The camera incorrectly metered the scene, underexposing dramatically with a metered value of only 4sec @ f4, 800 ISO:

man, you better return that camera before the return period expires!
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

prestonpalmer

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 03:33:14 AM »
I have yet to see an image where this supposed issue affected it, have you?

Exactly

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 03:33:14 AM »

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »

I shot an email to Canon, India and below is the response i got. I think it's fair.

As far as we know, this phenomenon does not affect the 5D Mark III in real world shooting conditions. This is a theoretical issue that was present in the 5D Mark II as well, it is just that no photographer shoots under such artich as shooting with a lens cap on, or shooting in total darkness with a long exposure. And with exposures longer than a minute, the 2 seconds of LCD illumination would not effect the exposure to any degree.

We feel that this has been highlighted with strong intent to undermine what is a strong product.

However, to calm the fears of persons who have purchased the 5D Mark III we are offering this service free of charge, and all models shipped after this problem was noticed do not have this problem.

5D MkIII

briansquibb

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »
I had a small problem with Win 7 this morning - do you think I should return it to Microsoft?

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »
I had a small problem with Win 7 this morning - do you think I should return it to Microsoft?

Don't, Microsoft forgot that Win 7 exists they are busy with Win 8. Apparently, Win 8 has bugs too - it won't boot.

5D MkIII

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:56 AM »

I nearly pissed my self laughing! I can gurantee that a lot of people will lean in to the screen and REALLY look  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 05:12:26 AM »

Hahahaha!!! So funny!

prestonpalmer

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

Hahahaha!!! So funny!

AMAZING!  Thanks for the laugh. I am glad the real photographers on here know their isn't a problem :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
These nice black images can actually be useful. You can print one (YES print), then cut a small rectangle and use it to cover... the LCD :) :)

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
These nice black images can actually be useful. You can print one (YES print), then cut a small rectangle and use it to cover... the LCD :) :)

Not only that, but the defective, underexposed one will actually be more useful than the correct one. You know, because it is...blacker.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »