November 27, 2014, 02:02:16 AM

Author Topic: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!  (Read 14023 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Canon, STOP shipping defective products!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
These nice black images can actually be useful. You can print one (YES print), then cut a small rectangle and use it to cover... the LCD :) :)

Not only that, but the defective, underexposed one will actually be more useful than the correct one. You know, because it is...blacker.

That may be - but I am sending my camera back. The extremely extensive testing and analysis I did after shooting the inside of my lens cap leads me to believe there is a very serious flaw with the camera. The resultant black image came out square and my lens cap is round!

Terrible! How did this slip development, QA and the field testers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Yeah, I might do the same. Heck, I even might pickup a D800. I heard that when you shoot the back of your lens cap on the Nikon, you can actually see the writing back there. IT IS THAT GOOD !!!!

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
Yeah, I might do the same. Heck, I even might pickup a D800. I heard that when you shoot the back of your lens cap on the Nikon, you can actually see the writing back there. IT IS THAT GOOD !!!!

Hmmm... but may be you need to push it 14.3 stops first...

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »
I ran an extensive test just now. I have concluded that this is a major issue as you can see:

First shot, LCD light OFF. Exposure time 5sec @ f4, 800 ISO:

Second shot, LCD light ON. The camera incorrectly metered the scene, underexposing dramatically with a metered value of only 4sec @ f4, 800 ISO:

I love the true black on the first, correctly exposed photo! I can't wait until May 10th so I can get my camera fixed!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:29:18 AM by macrodust »
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
I can gurantee that a lot of people will lean in to the screen and REALLY look

*wipes off nose prints*

:P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
I have yet to see an image where this supposed issue affected it, have you?

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing the problem when shooting at night, and auto-metering with the LCD backlight on...

Maybe you don't do a lot of night shooting - but the problem is certainly very real.  Canon wouldn't offer a fix if it wasn't.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
I understand that this issue affects only a few people and the rest laugh at it since it does not affect them at all and enjoy the photos of a good camera. However, many EOS 5DmkIII owners will not laugh when in the future they will try to sell their cameras and the buyers will check the serial number!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

Seriously, what has this light leak thingie ever actually done to any one?

This light has apparently leaked into many bedrooms and stolen many hours of sleep.

This lack of normal rest has caused reduced productivity in many workplaces. This has caused stock markets to tumble across nations. Friends in high places have told me NASA is working on a scheme to reduce the output of the sun to accommodate this travesty Canon has unleashed upon the earth.

Anyone want to buy a good hand-held light meter?

Apologies to the creators of "Hair" and the 5th Dimension:

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation
Aquarius! Aquarius!

Let the sun shine, Let the sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in
The sun shine in

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

MrSandman

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
Ahh.. the righteousness indignation of the average user these days.

"How dare someone provide me with something that's not perfect. I mean, I know it'll never happen, but if it did my exposures might be a tiny tiny bit different".

Yep - well worth all of the fuss I'd say.

P.S If it's not clear, I've preordered mine and will lose not one second of sleep due to this complete non-issue.

Good for you.

The rest of us want cameras that didn’t have to be opened up and repaired to meet specs.

MrSandman

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:20 AM »
I have yet to see an image where this supposed issue affected it, have you?

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing the problem when shooting at night, and auto-metering with the LCD backlight on...

Maybe you don't do a lot of night shooting - but the problem is certainly very real.  Canon wouldn't offer a fix if it wasn't.

This video makes it crystal clear that the “it’s-only-with-the-lens-cap-on” crowd is full of sh**.

....And yet, they keep repeating the same line, as if saying it more and more will make it true.

markd61

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
I am more concerned about the terrible CA  I am seeing in both those images.

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
More of a case of defective usage than defective product. As the saying goes "Much ado about nothing"

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

Good for you.

The rest of us want cameras that didn’t have to be opened up and repaired to meet specs.

Also those with the light leakage issue are within spec, as I understand it.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | EF 28mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
More of a case of defective usage than defective product. As the saying goes "Much ado about nothing"

exactly... of course on the affected samples it COULD be replicated if you tried, but in normal shooting situations, if your shooting through the VF odds are you set exposure through your VF with the dials... If you have it on tripod and using liveview, odds are you aren't using the top LCD because you can see the effect on screen.  Also odds are you would be externally metering to nail exposure or if your using the cameras meter, you adjust it until it looks right.  I could be in the minority, but I rarely use the top LCD except to verify the camera is "on" and not sleeping when shooting and the camera is in an idle state.  Also use it to do the WB, ISO, etc...  but exposure I do through VF...  If your shooting workflow is such that it could be an issue, send it in to be fixed or return it if it bugs you that much.  Otherwise it's not anything to get our panties in a twist. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

h4ldol

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »
First, I'v shooting Canon for 15 years. I have two 5D3’s. Neither of them showed any “noticeable” effect. Both of them are still within 30-day return period. I AM packing them up today and sending them back for full refund.

Canon’s response to this light leak issue is unacceptable. For a $3,500 camera for which many of us have waited and saved, Canon should STOP shipping the defective products immediately.

Remember iPhone 4? Apple ultimately paid the price by issuing $15 to all its owners.

Feeling a bit entitled because you own a couple 5D3s and some other Canon gear?  You just said that the issue had no "noticeable effect" and then you said that the response is "unacceptable" and that the product is "defective", despite having no "noticeable effect".  Unlike the iPhone issue, which did affect a large number of people -- you had to hold the phone in a certain way for goodness sake -- the 5D3 "issue" does not.  You said it yourself. 

It's because of s_____ consumers like you, who feel so entitled because of their small purchasing power and return expensive items for essentially a misplaced anger over a (mis)perceived matter of principle, that the cost of these products is elevated and spread out to all consumers. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »