October 21, 2014, 05:12:17 AM

Author Topic: What is with the censorship?  (Read 3484 times)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
What is with the censorship?
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
If people show they can't understand a simple posting mocking all the unnecessary attacks on Canon by writing misinformed angry responses then the solution is erase it? Interesting.

canon rumors FORUM

What is with the censorship?
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
Re: What is with the censorship?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
If people show they can't understand a simple posting mocking all the unnecessary attacks on Canon by writing misinformed angry responses then the solution is erase it? Interesting.

I feel the love
    It tickles.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
I thought it was funny but I enjoy a happy and productive relationship with my 5D III.

Maybe the owners thought you were trying to get rid of about 30% of the postings here?  :)
OOOPS maybe I will be erased...

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

I feel the love
    It tickles.

It felt more like a cold hand on my back.  :)

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
I've noticed something strange

in the canonrumors front page, on the right, there's a panel where you'll find the forum threads with the latest forum messages
http://www.canonrumors.com/

except the negative threads don't appear
for example this one: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5828.0

I'm pretty sure there's a perfectly sensible explanation for this... I'd love to hear it...

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »

in the canonrumors front page, on the right, there's a panel where you'll find the forum threads with the latest forum messages

I'm pretty sure there's a perfectly sensible explanation for this... I'd love to hear it...

All camera sensors detect magnitude, so D'd say may be the site does too. Just integers between 0 and 655535... unless you have decimal bit like 14.3 so that is (2^14.3) -1

atvinyard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Camera and Garden
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Ummm... I read that thread and I got there using the link from the canon rumors home page. There are plenty of whiney threads that are linked from there.
Canon 6D, Canon 5Dc, Rebel T2i, Canon EF-S 10-22, Sigma 35/1.4, Olympus OM Zuiko 21/3.5, 24/2.8,  28/2, 40/2, 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 100/2.8, Canon EF 20/2.8, 35/2 IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 200/2.8L, Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4, 135/2.8, Soligor 135/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »

I've seen PLENTY of negative threads appear in that little area.  Including the one you referenced, at least it was there when it was still a super hot topic
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »

That section of the CR homepage is populated by threads with recent activity.  But...it's delayed by an hour or so from the actual activity on the forum.  That snarky negative post you just read (or posted, as the case may be) on the forum will make it to the front page, eventually.  You can see this easily in that those home page links point to posts that are several posts (or pages) back from the most recent post in very active threads.

As I've stated before, another conspiracy theory dashed on the cold, hard rocks of reality.  :P

As for threads being deleted, mods do that sometimes, but much more often I've noticed that similar threads are just merged together, so one or more seem to disappear but they really haven't. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »

As for threads being deleted, mods do that sometimes, but much more often I've noticed that similar threads are just merged together, so one or more seem to disappear but they really haven't.

I can assure you it is gone. Or do you think they merged today's "misunderstood mocking posts" (with four off base responses) together to save space?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:23:17 PM by BobSanderson »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »

Bob, I removed the thread.  I thought it was a very good post and liked it, but it resulted in a flame war starting, so rather than spend the time to remove all of the responses, I removed the entire thread. (There would have been nothing left after removing all the name calling posts and those that repeated them.

Its a shame when a perfectly legitimate thread is brought down by the kind of comments it was provoking.

As to the paranoid comments about censorship, it doesn't happen.  Comments are removed because they are spam, trolling, or disrespectful to our members. 

Please feel free to repost, and please report out of line comments.

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »

Bob, I removed the thread.  I thought it was a very good post and liked it, but it resulted in a flame war starting, so rather than spend the time to remove all of the responses, I removed the entire thread. (There would have been nothing left after removing all the name calling posts and those that repeated them.

Its a shame when a perfectly legitimate thread is brought down by the kind of comments it was provoking.

As to the paranoid comments about censorship, it doesn't happen.  Comments are removed because they are spam, trolling, or disrespectful to our members. 

Please feel free to repost, and please report out of line comments.

Thanks for the fair reply. I was just surprised at the disappearance especially since the flames were coming from people who entirely missed the point. No need to repost - just wanted to find out why... :)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
Thanks for the fair reply. I was just surprised at the disappearance especially since the flames were coming from people who entirely missed the point. No need to repost - just wanted to find out why... :)

There are a lot of new members each creating a new thread which raises tensions and even long time members get irritated and add fuel to the flames.  It will dampen out in a couple of weeks.

Biting Sarcasm sometimes is misunderstood by those who think they know what is being said, having just read five whining posts in a row!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:32:42 PM »
I now wish I had put a little bite in it. ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Biting Sarcasm sometimes is misunderstood

What's sarcasm?? I'm just fortunate that no one ever misunderstands my posts, which is probably because I don't have a sarcastic bone in my body.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »