July 30, 2014, 03:04:58 AM

Author Topic: Going on a boat ride in LA - I have the 5D3 and 24-105L; need advise...  (Read 2896 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Hi, so I have taken my Rebel 300D to San Diego and went on a short trip in the water there (ocean water). I did not think much of the issues of "salt water damage" as I was sure I would not dunk it in the water. Well, guess what! I did not and it all worked out.

BUT now it is different. I am scheduled to go on a boat trip into the ocean from LA next Sunday. Now this will probably be a 2 to 4 hour trip. The "boat" will surely be bigger than the one in San Diego. BUT. Sorry, it seems I may have paid between $500 and $3500 too much for the camera and I would like to protect my investment - or camera - whatever. Since the camera is "weather sealed" and the 24-105L is a L lens, do I need to take any other external protective measures? Currently I am going with "No you do not need to...". So then the next question is: Do I need to do any "cleanup" after I get back to land (ie. hotel)? Would appreciate experience and theory.

Thanks in advance.

rpt

canon rumors FORUM

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Sorry, it seems I may have paid between $500 and $3500 too much for the camera and

haha almost fell off my chair laughing.  ;D
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Maybe make sure you have a UV filter, that way you won't get the front of the lens all misted, and the salt spray won't have the opportunity to do anything to the front lens element.

Also, if you change any lenses, do so inside in the cabin instead of out on deck. Duh!

In terms of 'cleanup', mostly I'd say the front element (or filter that you have on), maybe the inside of the view-finder using a Q-tip, and maybe a very light wiping with a soft cloth that's just a little damp to help clean off whatever film of salt spray that's on it.

I live in LA, and bring my camera down to the beach & near the water all the time, I generally haven't had any problems at all with it getting a bit misted. I just pop off the front filter, get it really clean, and good to go :)
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

rpt

• View Profile
Sorry, it seems I may have paid between $500 and $3500 too much for the camera and

haha almost fell off my chair laughing.  ;D

I am happy you laughed. "what is life if full of stare and we have no time to stand and care"

or did I get it wrong?

rpt

• View Profile
Maybe make sure you have a UV filter, that way you won't get the front of the lens all misted, and the salt spray won't have the opportunity to do anything to the front lens element.

Also, if you change any lenses, do so inside in the cabin instead of out on deck. Duh!

In terms of 'cleanup', mostly I'd say the front element (or filter that you have on), maybe the inside of the view-finder using a Q-tip, and maybe a very light wiping with a soft cloth that's just a little damp to help clean off whatever film of salt spray that's on it.

I live in LA, and bring my camera down to the beach & near the water all the time, I generally haven't had any problems at all with it getting a bit misted. I just pop off the front filter, get it really clean, and good to go :)

Thanks. Your advise is noted. I may not bring my 100-400L so no changing lenses in that case. But if I do, I will heed your advise about the changing of lenses.

Thanks again.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
If you have a lot of spray, I'd get out of it, but unless you are in a storm, it should be fine.

rpt

• View Profile
If you have a lot of spray, I'd get out of it, but unless you are in a storm, it should be fine.

Thanks. I hope to be able to share pictures soon.

canon rumors FORUM

davidbellissima

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer in London
As others have mentioned, I too would highly recommend a UV filter on the front element of the lens. The last time I took photos on rock outcrop by the ocean, my 17-40mm lens was caked in gunk from all the salt spray. Thankfully I had a UV filter screwed onto the lens so I just had to clean that. I also used a slightly damp cloth to wipe the lens and camera body.

rpt

• View Profile
As others have mentioned, I too would highly recommend a UV filter on the front element of the lens. The last time I took photos on rock outcrop by the ocean, my 17-40mm lens was caked in gunk from all the salt spray. Thankfully I had a UV filter screwed onto the lens so I just had to clean that. I also used a slightly damp cloth to wipe the lens and camera body.

Thanks. Yes I do have a UV filter. I always put a filter on all my lenses irrespective of whether they are fitted to a camera or not. Safety first...

rpt

• View Profile
All, Thanks for the tips. The experience was amazing! Take a look at some of my pics at:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6313.0

BTW, I took my 100-400L and shot with it. Mostly at 400...

canon rumors FORUM