August 29, 2014, 06:29:32 PM

Author Topic: about 85L III  (Read 6932 times)

leesutmost

about 85L III
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
I really hope 85LII can be upgraded.
Not for the reason of its IQ, but its build quality regarding dust-proof, drip-proof, mechanical loose and front extension.....
If mk3 can solve some of these especially dust proof and loose...I shall buy it.
I don't expect to buy a L toy but has to worry about its build quality.

canon rumors FORUM

about 85L III
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »

photophreek

Re: about 85L III
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
from leesutmost
Not for the reason of its IQ, but its build quality regarding dust-proof, drip-proof, mechanical loose and front extension.....
If mk3 can solve some of these especially dust proof and loose...I shall buy it.

I don't mean to sound obtuse, but from your comment, I get the impression that you do not own the 85mm f/1.2L II....I do and use the lens alot.  I'd like to address your complaints about this lens:

>build quality - IMHO, the build quality of this lens is outstanding.  It is solid and feels   the same.  I'm not sure what your complaint here is, but my experience with this lens is completely opposite.  Photozone and other test sites agree with my assessment.

>dust and drip proof - my lens has no dust at all and I have no reason to bring it out into the rain and this would not be a reason for me to u/g to a ver III.

>loose front extension - I'm at a loss as to what you are referring to with this comment.  The lens is focus-by-wire.  As a result, the focus ring moves freely as the lens is designed.  Again, my copy has no loose moving front extension at all.

Please help others reading your comments with some specifics so that potential buyers of this outstanding piece of glass can take your comments and make an informed buying decision.  Given the latest Canon price increases for new equipment, expect the 85 III to be $3000+. 

I think Canon should concentrate their manufacturing efforts satisfying promised deleivery dates for the 1D X, 5D III, 400 II, 300 II, 500 II and  600 II, 200-400, the previously announced WA primes, 24-70 II and the list goes on rather than upgrading a lens such as the 85 II that needs no u/g until the end of it's ten year cycle in 2016/2017.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:09:30 PM by photophreek »

chrisdeckard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Lotus Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
from leesutmost

I don't mean to sound obtuse, but from your comment, I get the impression that you do not own the 85mm f/1.2L II....I do and use the lens alot.  I'd like to address your complaints about this lens:

>build quality - IMHO, the build quality of this lens is outstanding.  It is solid and feels   the same.  I'm not sure what your complaint here is, but my experience with this lens is completely opposite.  Photozone and other test sites agree with my assessment.

>dust and drip proof - my lens has no dust at all and I have no reason to bring it out into the rain and this would not be a reason for me to u/g to a ver III.

>loose front extension - I'm at a loss as to what you are referring to with this comment.  The lens is focus-by-wire.  As a result, the focus ring moves freely as the lens is designed.  Again, my copy has no loose moving front extension at all.

Please help others reading your comments with some specifics so that potential buyers of this outstanding piece of glass can take your comments and make an informed buying decision.  Given the latest Canon price increases for new equipment, expect the 85 III to be $3000+. 

I think Canon should concentrate their manufacturing efforts satisfying promised deleivery dates for the 1D X, 5D III, 400 II, 300 II, 500 II and  600 II, 200-400, the previously announced WA primes, 24-70 II and the list goes on rather than upgrading a lens such as the 85 II that needs no u/g until the end of it's ten year cycle in 2016/2017.

photophreek, thanks for your comments!  The only complaint I've ever heard about the 85 L II is that is "focuses slowly" but I really have no frame of reference to what "slow" means here.  The only lens in my arsenal that I consider "slow" would be the 100mm f/2.8 L Macro, but it's only slow when it has to figure out if the subject is near or far.  Once it has that, it's spot on, and slight adjustments lock in super fast. 

Also, have you used a 50 1.2 L?  How would you compare the 85L and the 50L?

Thanks!
5D Mark III, 7D, 60D, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 24-70 f/2.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-40 f/4 L, TS-E 45 f/2.8

KurtStevens

• Rebel SL1
  • Practice safe photography, Use a concept.
    • View Profile
    • Kurt Stevens Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
50 and 85 are two completely different lenses (if you couldn't tell already).  The 50 is fast and sharp with focusing but I've had problems with it either being a tad soft (not by much and not that sharpening couldnt' bring it back) but a front focusing problem as well.  Granted I didn't MA on the lens itself.  When I used the 85, yes the focus was slower but a great thing once you got your subject in focus (esp. at 1.2).

I prefer the 85 focal length and am looking to buy the 85 once I have enough funds for it.  Both of the lenses build quality are amazing (as are all L lenses).
5D3 + 16-35 + 85 + 135

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
I am about to buy the 85L II.

If any L prime lens needs an upgrade, it is the 50L. Not sharp enough and has far too many issues. (focus shift, e.t.c.)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
I am about to buy the 85L II.

If any L prime lens needs an upgrade, it is the 50L. Not sharp enough and has far too many issues. (focus shift, e.t.c.)

I don't get why people say this, I love my 50L and know plenty of people that feel the same way.  It's damn sharp and I have yet to have any "focus shift" issues.  I agree it could use an upgrade, but I still think it's an excellent lens as it sits.  I think half the people that complain about focus shift are trying to shoot at f/1.2 handheld with razor-thin DOF.  If the subject or camera moves even an inch they'll be out of focus. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
To be fair, the 85L's focus-by-wire nonsense does make the freewheeling focus ring (and attached hood) feel cheap. The optical performance is good, to be sure, but it by no means feels like a $2,000 lens in the hand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
To be fair, the 85L's focus-by-wire nonsense does make the freewheeling focus ring (and attached hood) feel cheap. The optical performance is good, to be sure, but it by no means feels like a $2,000 lens in the hand.

Be sure you never pick up the EF 500mm f/4.5L USM (predecessor to the 500mm f/4L IS) - released in 1992 and it, too, has electronic manual focus (aka focus by wire) - I'm sure you'd find it feels nothing like a $6000 lens in the hand. 

I'm quite pleased with my 85L II, although I'd not try using it with a fast-moving subject.  It's a portrait lens, and it does a beautiful job at it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

photophreek

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
chrisdeckard:
The 85 II and the 50L are two different lenses for different uses.  The 50L focuses quick, but the 85L II is not slow at all.  I would say that my 50L is a quicker, but not noticebly  I rented the 180 macro and it focuses slowly.

axilrod:
+1 - my 50L is quite sharp and I don't experience any focus-shift.  Again, these comments about the 50L are usually from people who don't own and use the lens.  The 50L seems to be part of the "lets dump on these lenses club" which includes the 24-70 ver 1, 100-400L and the 50L.  I'm sure I missed others.

Stephen Melvin:
I don't think the focus-by-wire is nonesense.  However, in fairness, these are your observations.  It took me no time to get accustomed to the feature and now I don't even think about it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:00:34 PM by photophreek »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »

Be sure you never pick up the EF 500mm f/4.5L USM (predecessor to the 500mm f/4L IS) - released in 1992 and it, too, has electronic manual focus (aka focus by wire) - I'm sure you'd find it feels nothing like a $6000 lens in the hand. 

I'm quite pleased with my 85L II, although I'd not try using it with a fast-moving subject.  It's a portrait lens, and it does a beautiful job at it.

The Siglauncher 200-500 f/2.8 also has focus-by-wire, hell, it even has its own battery pack to drive the focus motor. I'm sure that wouldn't feel like a $20,000 lens in your hands (assuming you could pick it up, of course).

And I specifically went for the EF 85/1.8 because I wanted it for fast-moving kiddies, I could have gotten a nice Zeiss/Samyang 85/1.4 but it the one length where I didn't want an MF lens, and didn't much care for the Sigma 85/1.4.
That, and the 85/1.8 I got for 1/6th the price of an 85/1.2LII.

How slow is the 85/1.2L II really? I've never played with one, but I've had a 50/1.2L on my 7D a while ago. Not as fast as my 70-300L, but nowhere near "too slow".
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Gennadiy

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
I got this lens not too long ago. At first the focus-by-wire does feel a little weird. But to be honest, its so smooth that its makes manual focusing fun. Does not take too long to get used to it either.
There is a lot of other lenses that need to be updated... the 85L is one of the best lenses that canon has to offer at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:18:35 PM by Gennadiy »

photophreek

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
I agree with dr croubie - the 85 II is not an all purpose lens to take pictures of your kids at a birthday party or fooling around in the backyard.  You'll miss shoots because they will be OOF.  Buy the 85 1.8 instead as it is more suited for those situations

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »

Maybe you have not used this lens yet b/c it is not anything like you describe. Try it you'll like it and I notice this is your 2nd post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
I agree with dr croubie - the 85 II is not an all purpose lens to take pictures of your kids at a birthday party

In point of fact, I often use my 85L II at kids' birthday parties - it's great for isolating one child from the crowd of faces, and I usually end up with a subject that pops against a pleasing kaleidoscope of colorful background.  YMMV.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

D.Sim

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
I agree with dr croubie - the 85 II is not an all purpose lens to take pictures of your kids at a birthday party

In point of fact, I often use my 85L II at kids' birthday parties - it's great for isolating one child from the crowd of faces, and I usually end up with a subject that pops against a pleasing kaleidoscope of colorful background.  YMMV.

You'd have to be very careful about the focus though.. if they're moving about really fast, you'd be limited by their slower AF. But if they're standing about in a group, the isolation would be brilliant

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »