July 29, 2014, 05:42:24 PM

Author Topic: 1DX to ship next month.  (Read 8396 times)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Re: 1DX to ship next month.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »
Today I got to use the 1D X and I have some raw files. Not many, because I was not allowed :P ;)

This camera is just... I wanna marry her.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:15 PM »

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:58 AM »
I'd follow what Canon have said themselves not with what some person has said. Most people say according to what they want to happen rather than what is.

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
Today I got to use the 1D X and I have some raw files. Not many, because I was not allowed :P ;)

This camera is just... I wanna marry her.

Nikkito, what else can you share about your experience with the 1D X? Did you hear anything else about a release in June?

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
They ONLY thing a tad wrong with the 5d3 is the pop in the sharpness. It is softer than the 5d2 for sure, never touched the "detail-slider" in Lr before I got the 5d3. Now I have to.

One thing to consider with Lightroom...with the upgrade to LR4, they changed the default tone curve from Medium Contrast to Linear, which means your default import into LR will now be lower contrast than when you were using LR3.  I only upgraded to LR4 after I got my 5D3 -- if you did the same thing you might be mixing the effects of the upgrade to LR4 with the quality of the 5D3 outputs.  And to join in the whining...I miss my fill light slider!

I kinda miss the fill light too.. but you can still basically accomplish the same thing just with different sliders.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

lars_aune

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
I talked to canon tech rep, on 5D3 firmware update.  I asked him when 1DX would ship; he thought next month.

So, if I am right, I have heard mid-June, but here we are 4 weeks from shipping and there is not a single official "we are on track for mid-June" statement from Canon!?! What am I missing?

Also, has Canon USA actually issued a statement regarding mid-June or is that Canon Japan?

Thoughts much appreciated!

Zouk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
I talked to canon tech rep, on 5D3 firmware update.  I asked him when 1DX would ship; he thought next month.

So, if I am right, I have heard mid-June, but here we are 4 weeks from shipping and there is not a single official "we are on track for mid-June" statement from Canon!?! What am I missing?

Also, has Canon USA actually issued a statement regarding mid-June or is that Canon Japan?

The vendor I ordered from confirmed I'm 6th in line, and they had fairly recent confirmation that they will be getting their first shipment May 29th and the second on June 9th.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but if it's true my camera should ship June 10th. :D

lars_aune

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

The vendor I ordered from confirmed I'm 6th in line, and they had fairly recent confirmation that they will be getting their first shipment May 29th and the second on June 9th.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but if it's true my camera should ship June 10th. :D

Thanks for the update. Even if your dealer is not spot on, I will take what I can get :- )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
i'm almost dreaming with the day Mr Postman will come with my 1D X. Canon, Pleaseeeee
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
1DX to ship next month.

Is that like those "Free Beer Tomorrow" signs?  :P
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »
They ONLY thing a tad wrong with the 5d3 is the pop in the sharpness. It is softer than the 5d2 for sure, never touched the "detail-slider" in Lr before I got the 5d3. Now I have to.

One thing to consider with Lightroom...with the upgrade to LR4, they changed the default tone curve from Medium Contrast to Linear, which means your default import into LR will now be lower contrast than when you were using LR3.  I only upgraded to LR4 after I got my 5D3 -- if you did the same thing you might be mixing the effects of the upgrade to LR4 with the quality of the 5D3 outputs.  And to join in the whining...I miss my fill light slider!

My lightroom 4 imports with the preset curve exactly as I set it.  My 5D MK III is just as sharp as my 5D MK II, maybe slightly sharper. 

The new controls do away issues caused by the old fill light slider and allow more precise control.  However, the fill light slider has not gone away, justuse process 2010 if you like the old look and controls, its entirely your choice.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
I talked to Bob.  I asked him when 1DX would ship; he thought September.  Who's Bob?  Doesn't matter - he's just as reliable a source as a Canon tech rep. 

FWIW, the recent official Canon press release said June.  I'd rank Canon's official statement just slightly higher than Bob's thoughts on the reliability scale.  Not that I wouldn't be happy to get my order filled tomorrow, but reality means that's pretty unlikely. 

From another point of view, given that some people already have had demo units in their hands, in one sense Canon is already shipping them.  Doesn't help me, though.

neuro, I hope the new 24-70 will be in store by Jun with 1D X. Can't wait to attach this lens on my 5d III.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
Spoke to my pro dealer - the 1Dx is in fact shipping to press first as we speak this is expected to take a month. First shipment at least in Australia will be end of June for early July release.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »
1DX shipping date? For the average punter it will be further down the line from when the 1Dx is officially released.

News organisations, big agencies and the like will have their pre-orders filled before anyone else. And with the Olympics only five minutes away, you can be sure there will be a deep, deep stock of 1DX bodies available for evaluation and multi-day use at the CPS headquarters in London.

Canon will be making elite sports shooters nervous with the non-release of the 1DX. If they ship too close to the Olympics photographers will not have had enough frontline experience with the new body to feel 100% familiar with the changes from the 1D4.

But this camera just has to be right. After the PR disaster that surrounded the release of the 1D3 they'll be taking absolutely no chances. This almost certainly accounts for the delays so far.

If they're listening to feedback from action shooters, hopefully they'll have a fix for the dreaded black AF point debacle when using AI Servo that we have seen in the 5D3. The hand built beta 1DX bodies have exactly the same design flaw. Let's hope the shipping versions have dealt with this, and that the fix will flow through to 5D3 in the form of a firmware update.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:58 AM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
And to join in the whining...I miss my fill light slider!

Change the process from 2012 to 2010 and the fill light slider will appear. You just lose the new options from the 2012 version in doing so.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:40 AM »

My lightroom 4 imports with the preset curve exactly as I set it.  My 5D MK III is just as sharp as my 5D MK II, maybe slightly sharper. 

Really?? So how come I get wayway sharper images in DPP than in LR? And trust me, it has nothing to do with tone curve. I start every file with everything rest, apply my ColorChecker Profile and do the rest. I have never had that soft images with the 5d2. It's only in Lr also, well, DPP is the only one that gives me the same results I had in Lr with the 5d2.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:40 AM »