December 19, 2014, 07:20:01 AM

Author Topic: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?  (Read 15489 times)

mboss13

differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
So we got lucky and secured two Mark iii bodies from Amazon and received them at the end of March. At least we thought they would be a great replacement for our Mark ii bodies.

Now, after noticing a difference in color, we wanted to make sure and ran some tests. There is a definite difference in the color that we are getting. Skin tones look way too red. I am at loss, and registering here to see if anyone is experiencing this? I am highly hopeful it is something in our settings, but we color balanced with both white and gray cards and all the shots come like this.

Both images were taken exactly the same with 24-70 lens  iso100 1/160 f/8.0
We have tried multiple things and they are all coming this way, on both new bodies.
Any suggestions?

canon rumors FORUM

differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Why are so many of the people reporting 5D III problems seem to be posting for the first time ever? It could just be an ongoing coincidence, but really.

mboss13

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
I am posting for the first time ever because at $7000 invested I wouldn't expect that. I am not trying to bash the camera. I really want it to work for our studio, but both of the bodies are performing the same thing. Compared to the Mark ii bodies, they are off, and not in a apealing way. Sorry I don't have a million posts, just asking honestly and hoping the problem is in the user. Certified Professional Photographer took these though.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
My 5D MK III handles reds much better than my 5D MK II did.  Thats one of the major improvements. 

mboss13

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
really? Well it is not just red. We have tested it in the back yard and even grass colors look different from both of the cameras? Are you using different settings, or white balancing somehow that I have no idea how? Could I have possibly received two bodies that are faulty? I really don't want to believe that it isn't us, but the evidence says otherwise.

mboss13

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
Mt. Spokane, did you see this improvement in portraits of people?

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
Mt. Spokane, did you see this improvement in portraits of people?

So far, my portraits have been done in very low light, and I have corrected the color temperature.  However, I have noticed, and posted about it earlier that intense reds are no longer oversaturated as they were with my 5D MK II.

Are you referring to jpeg images?  I haven't taken any, and only beta versions of Abobe Raw converters are available.  I haven't tried viewing my raw images with DPP. 

With Adobe, or with DPP, simple variation in monitor calibration or room lighting can skew colors slightly, so we may each be seeing a slight difference.   If you see too much red, its easy to tweak the import profile in ACR or Lightroom to give a tone that you prefer. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »

mboss13

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
Well is nobody seeing the difference in the images I posted? You can tell the difference even on the back of the camera, no need for raw conversion. As for these, they were taken as RAW.

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
You think the posted images show a problem?  No one said the goal of the new Canon was to match your existing camera. I think the "5D III image" presented is more natural looking and shows a less intense red tint.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
The reds and greens in the Mk.iii are a noticable improvement over the mk.ii. They look more natural.

Perhaps it is the mk.ii that is not the good one. I like the colors on the MK.iii a lot !
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

mboss13

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
I believe I am seeing rather purple tone to my blonde hair. The Mark ii looks the way I see my hair in mirror. Not the purple redish tint of the Mark iii. I will contact Canon about it, even though I doubt they will suggest any way of fixing this. I think a new more expensive camera should at least match the previous one. In our studio we believe in getting things done in camera and spending less time in Lightroom and Photoshop. But to each their own. I am not trying to start a blaming game. I was just seeing if others who actually own the new 5D are seeing the same thing. I know what is good for our business, and unfortunately if there is no way for me to fix this, these 5d Mark iii bodies are not for us. I am really trying to see if there is a way to get this fixed. In camera, not in Lightroom, or any other software option.

mboss13

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
The reds and greens in the Mk.iii are a noticable improvement over the mk.ii. They look more natural.

Perhaps it is the mk.ii that is not the good one. I like the colors on the MK.iii a lot !

My hair is not that color. I am also sad to see that nobody is truly answering my questions? Is there a way to get the right match? I do not like the off colors of the MK iii, just because they are not true, and don't want to spend time in post processing fixing it.

I will see if I can get a few more samples up here to show what I am talking about. Again, I want to like this camera, but clearly the color is off, and not to a liking.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »
What are your WB settings?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:39 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
So we got lucky and secured two Mark iii bodies from Amazon and received them at the end of March. At least we thought they would be a great replacement for our Mark ii bodies.

Now, after noticing a difference in color, we wanted to make sure and ran some tests. There is a definite difference in the color that we are getting. Skin tones look way too red. I am at loss, and registering here to see if anyone is experiencing this? I am highly hopeful it is something in our settings, but we color balanced with both white and gray cards and all the shots come like this.

We have tried multiple things and they are all coming this way, on both new bodies.
Any suggestions?

hmmm you 5d2 image looks pinker to me than the 5D3 image and the 5D3 image looks more natural

EDIT: i was looking at skin tones, apparently you are focusing on your hair color, the 5D3 does seem a bit redder there so it's probably a camera profile difference (maybe,maybe CFA array difference but it really doesn't seem at all likely)   are they jpgs from the cam? prcoessed in some RAW program?

anyway it can be down to tons of different things from color filter array to more likely camera color profile or white balance engine in the camera

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:31:30 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »
Did you try adjusting color settings in the styles?

sek

Any suggestions?

hmmm you 5d2 image looks pinker to me than the 5D3 image and the 5D3 image looks more natural

EDIT: i was looking at skin tones, apparently you are focusing on your hair color, the 5D3 does seem a bit redder there so it's probably a camera profile difference (maybe,maybe CFA array difference but it really doesn't seem at all likely)   are they jpgs from the cam? prcoessed in some RAW program?

anyway it can be down to tons of different things from color filter array to more likely camera color profile or white balance engine in the camera
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:51 PM »