April 16, 2014, 03:26:14 AM

Author Topic: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?  (Read 13267 times)

ramon123

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: differences in color between Mark ii and Mark iii?
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »
maybe your setting are wrong?

i've heard that the 5D Mark III performs better in this area.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:25 AM »

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
I too would love to see the OP's wedding portfolio. I've been booked for a couple myself and as it's not what I usually shoot I'm trying to hoover up tips and tricks. Any chance of sharing a link?

mboss13

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
Not sure what my business website link has to do with anybody on here. If I wanted to include it I would have in my profile.

As for attacking me or my clients, it is really not neccessary. I have admitted that a regular client would probably not see anything wrong with their image. I admitted that perhaps I have gotten used to the look of the Mark ii. I also stand my point that the purplish look out of camera on the 5d Mark iii is not the look that I personally like, and it is not correct. I realize no camera is going to be color perfect unless properly calibrated. I must have gotten lucky with our Mark ii bodies as they both produce identical images that look right to me and look correct when printed (yes, there might be a slight yellow tint to them in some instances). I am not sending my Mark iii bodies back, as the LR profile fix really took care of my issue, which is what I was hoping for in OP. After I receive my color passport I will try to calibrate the cameras to a point where we get the picture close to perfect in camera. I am glad I was able to learn this information from some of the helpful individuals on this thread.

I appreciate the tips and help of the several individuals on this thread, but have no intention of posting my business link on this forum. As for those that feel the need to massage their ego, you were right, I was wrong. I am glad I was and don't have to return these awesome camera bodies. Also good luck to those who have not received one yet or can't afford one, as I suspect those are the people screaming the most on this thread.

Thank you

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:54:15 AM by mboss13 »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »

what little graph thing do you have in mind? My feeling is you shouldn't have to do that on something worth $3500 but I am willing to try. As for clients, yes you are right, most wouldn't notice it, but my business isn't built on putting out portraits that I would be unhappy with. Again, with Mark ii body, non of this is an issue. As a business owner, I would have to say right now, unless there is a fix for this, the Mark ii is for me a better studio camera. There.

Quote from: mboss on April 24, 2012, 07:25:26 PM
You may be right. Perhaps I got used to that look, but I really like it, however our Mark ii bodies are beyond their expected lifespan and we have multitude of weddings contracted for the summer. It has always sold well for us with the look out of the Mark ii, not a lot of post processing. Either way I don't think the redness in blonde hair should be happening. Looking at fixing it. LR profile already did the trick. Now looking at getting it fixed and looking good out of camera.

These quotes are the reasons I was interested in your work as a busy business owner. It sounds like you are proud of the quality photos that allow you to earn your income and I would like to see the look that is selling and what you don't want jeopardize with the 5d III.

I am one that can afford a 5D III but  I don't think I am really good enough to benefit from all it offers - I am happy for now with my 40D. I am waiting for the mythical 7D II to maybe take the plunge. At any rate, good luck with your upcoming wedding season and in retaining the colors that sell well there. :)

briansquibb

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Not sure what my business website link has to do with anybody on here. If I wanted to include it I would have in my profile.

It is only us amateurs that are prepared to post as we dont have a reputation to protect

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »

I agree, it has fairly little to do with your original post. I just enjoy looking at photography, and find it's a great way to improve. I do however appreciate not everyone feels the same as me, and that's fair enough. All the best for the upcoming season!

mboss13

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »

I agree, it has fairly little to do with your original post. I just enjoy looking at photography, and find it's a great way to improve. I do however appreciate not everyone feels the same as me, and that's fair enough. All the best for the upcoming season!

Thanks for understanding.

If we were perhaps in the member forum on PPA or other pro-paid forums(which we are no longer part of as it is not much better than free) I wouldn't mind, but in a public forum I feel better not posting my business links.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »

Thanks for understanding.

If we were perhaps in the member forum on PPA or other pro-paid forums(which we are no longer part of as it is not much better than free) I wouldn't mind, but in a public forum I feel better not posting my business links.

Just a quick FYI, posting your link in as many places as possible helps your google ranking... Not saying you NEED to post because of that, just thought I would share that with you! :)
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »
After I receive my color passport I will try to calibrate the cameras to a point where we get the picture close to perfect in camera.

I'd be interested in your results. I don't have the same issue, but I am interested in the effectiveness of color passport.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
It looks like if there is a web site and a business publicly promoted by it we are not going to see it or know further about it guys. The only sharing we got was the "panic" of a man with two 5DIIIs, 4 photos and a color problem that his eyes and customers would not tolerate. I think there were some very helpful and educational links posted for those that really wanted to learn about shifting color profiles. :)  NEXT!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:27:31 PM by Tracy Pinto »

ctmike

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
This thread is a terrific example why a new member would give 2 (or 3) thoughts before asking anything here. Less than half reasonable responses with the remainder... let's say less than friendly at best. I was genuinely curious too, since it was pretty easy to see the purple tinge to his hair as described. Sure we got there in the end but the journey wasn't as nearly nice as it could have been.

briansquibb

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 03:07:51 AM »
This thread is a terrific example why a new member would give 2 (or 3) thoughts before asking anything here. Less than half reasonable responses with the remainder... let's say less than friendly at best. I was genuinely curious too, since it was pretty easy to see the purple tinge to his hair as described. Sure we got there in the end but the journey wasn't as nearly nice as it could have been.

+1

Post an inoccuous remark here and it is like being in the witness box

kballweg

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
It fascinates me that people will go on and on about how a mechanical device produces "wrong" coloring and not allow for the fact that our eyes don't have the capacity to replicate color consistently from person to person.

I suspect MBoss has the gift of Tetrachromacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy) a genetic condition that allows an unclear number of people to see a range of tints and hues not apparent to people who don't have this gift. Note: not being facetious about it being a "gift" when it comes to color photography, as it allows seeing banding and color casts that a non-tetrachromate can not see. However, it can be a curse when you are trying to correct for what the vast majority of people won't even perceive. I, for example, cannot see the purple cast in the hair, and prefer the skin tones of the original post example; in fact I see the skin tone of the Mk2 example as "wrong" in comparison.

We also process colors differently at a retinal level, and at a brain processing level. Talking about color as if there were  absolute correct colors being reproduced in a digital photo is an interesting concept. Beyond the difference of tetrachromacy, as several people have also pointed out, variations in monitors, ambient light in the room where you are viewing the examples, and even the formula of the materials blended for your glasses lenses are going to shift colors.

Calibration tools really help. But, ultimately, like the OP admits, there is a level of personal preference for each photographer backed by their experience of how viewers/customers react that determines when colors are working. That's how a person who is "color blind" can still be a damn good photographer. Personally I've sold more "over saturated" landscapes than I'm comfortable with, but that has become the taste I've learned to work to. And yes, sorting the snark out from the sincere efforts to help resolve the original question was a pain, but ultimately I got several good links that made it worth reading the whole thing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2012, 02:35:56 AM »
The colors in the 5D Mark III are a substantial improvement on the 5D Mark II. This is after about 20 hours of comparison between the two on color reproduction which is important to me.

If you don't like the colors you can always correct them with a passport color checker.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
It fascinates me that people will go on and on about how a mechanical device produces "wrong" coloring and not allow for the fact that our eyes don't have the capacity to replicate color consistently from person to person.

I suspect MBoss has the gift of Tetrachromacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy) a genetic condition that allows an unclear number of people to see a range of tints and hues not apparent to people who don't have this gift. Note: not being facetious about it being a "gift" when it comes to color photography, as it allows seeing banding and color casts that a non-tetrachromate can not see. However, it can be a curse when you are trying to correct for what the vast majority of people won't even perceive. I, for example, cannot see the purple cast in the hair, and prefer the skin tones of the original post example; in fact I see the skin tone of the Mk2 example as "wrong" in comparison.

We also process colors differently at a retinal level, and at a brain processing level. Talking about color as if there were  absolute correct colors being reproduced in a digital photo is an interesting concept. Beyond the difference of tetrachromacy, as several people have also pointed out, variations in monitors, ambient light in the room where you are viewing the examples, and even the formula of the materials blended for your glasses lenses are going to shift colors.

Calibration tools really help. But, ultimately, like the OP admits, there is a level of personal preference for each photographer backed by their experience of how viewers/customers react that determines when colors are working. That's how a person who is "color blind" can still be a damn good photographer. Personally I've sold more "over saturated" landscapes than I'm comfortable with, but that has become the taste I've learned to work to. And yes, sorting the snark out from the sincere efforts to help resolve the original question was a pain, but ultimately I got several good links that made it worth reading the whole thing.

Like you I am probably trichromatic too (or my monitor is  :P ) since I could not see the purple tinge either. I did see the iii to have a bit more magenta and the ii having a bit more green/yellow hue. Also on the dog toys on grass shot, iii looked more natural and ii looked like saturation +3. This can be set on the iii as well.... I also suspect his clients might not be tetrachromatic either but like the rest of us are drawn towards a more saturated image...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »