April 25, 2014, 01:19:21 AM

Author Topic: Advice: On buying 5D3.  (Read 9396 times)

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: On buying 5D3.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
One last thing. Why won't the price go down anytime soon? You guys have pretty much swayed me with the fact that the DxO is so close the rating is OBVIOUSLY BIASED,

The rating as I understand it is an aggregate of three different use case scores. One of those scores is based on dynamic range at low ISO. This is very important to some people (e.g. landscape photographers which is why you see the poor review on fredmiranda) but much less to others (e.g. event photographers). The D800 smokes the 5DIII here, but otherwise it's pretty close. Depending on how you use the camera, this could be very important (e.g. if your photography consists of high contrast scenes taken at ISO100), or insignificant (e.g. if you are usually shooting at ISO 400 or more)

The problem isn't so much that DxO is "biased", it is that you can't sum things up with just one number. You always need to dig a little deeper. When you see a statement to the effect of camera X has a higher foo score than camera Y, you really need to look behind the number and ask what it means.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »

photophreek

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
I'm sure you have read the countless threads on FM about 1D owners having inexplicable problems with the AF system on the 5D III.  It seems these same people can't, won't or just think they are above reading manuals because they are 1D owners.  You have an advantage with your 7D as it will be a seamless transition adapting to the 5D III.  You mentioned the sharpness and quality of Canon glass.  A wise photographer said to me..."find the best glass for the job and buy the camera that works with the lenses you need".  In this case, you've decided Canon has the best glass. 

Why the price for the camera won't go down anytime soon is a simple law of the marketplace and economics.  There is limited supply of the product and a huge demand resulting in a higher price.  When demand for the product goes down and/or inventory of the product goes up, the price will go down. 

Funny you are grousing about $500.  If you decide on the Nikon product, you will take more than a $500 hit selling your Canon gear.  So, go out already and buy the 5D III and forget about stupid charts and reviews and hone your craft.

newjerseykita

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
Photophreek, i get it, i'm a bitch.. Hahaha

But in all honesty, it all makes sense. I'll most likely post back once i have it, which will be in about a week and a half. Waiting to get home from college to buy it through a wholesale warehouse near me. Get it for market price! CHICKA CHICKA YEAH YEAH.

Mission Successful: We can all go home boys!

TOP GUN ANTHEM Small | Large

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
My prediction, 5d3 at 3k by year end....it is losing the sales game to d800...just look at amazon sales numbers rank...canon will have to lower price or risk serious market share loss to darth Nikon....count on it.
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
By the way...so cool to see a 19 yo that quotes/posts a top gun link....one of the great movies of all time
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
Posted this in another post yesterday.

I did this messing around with metering and decided this junk shot might be a good DR test. I don't have a D800 but I think this show Canon really did improve the DR in the mkIII over the mkII. I'm not taking much stock in DxO. I LIKE my mkIII.

Disregard the fact the files say they are both from mkIII, that is the way I cropped them in the same PS file together.
Both shots were identical exposures with the same lens at ISO 400 and in Aperture 3 the "Brightness" and "Shadows" sliders were pushed all the way equally. I'd say there is a stop or two DR improvement.

mkIII

mkII
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:06:24 PM by kbmelb »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »
I'm definitely agreeing with a lot in this thread, D800 looks great for lower ISO performance, and to get super detailed photos at the lower ISOs or anything with strobes or what not.

For any events, I'd say that the 5d3 is an amazing camera. I've shot a couple of different music shows in the past week, one of which was at The Viper Room which has some crazy lighting changes & conditions on the main stage. Had my 5d2 & 5d3, and the 5d3 was far superior, hands down. Usable photos at ISO 6400+, and the AF system worked extremely well. Plus the burst mode is great. I will say, for weddings, you'll want to go to Silent mode, which is pretty darn quiet!
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »

the-ninth

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 01:42:43 AM »
However after looking at the DXO ratings, and the Fred Miranda review (in regards to pulling the shadows up to par with the image) i can't help to feel betrayed by Canon. it looks like the D800 jus took a HUGE DUMP on Canon.

With all of this said, how can i justify dropping 3.5K on this camera? I've started off with 7D so i haven't seen the what seems to be the disappointment of the 5D II AF system. I have the money, i'm ready to spend. I just need the convincing that this will be a worthwhile investment.

First, all of the these reviews seem artificial to me. The 30D I had before the 5D3 took great pictures but has a DXO rating of 59. So I don't think the difference between rating 81 and 95 of the 5D3 and D800 is practically relevant.

My reasons for upgrading from the 30D were AF, full-frame, high-ISO performance, the large 100% viewfinder, C-modes and the battery grip with joystick.

Many of these things are addressed by the 7D already, which is a pretty modern camera. So if you don't need the last bit of high-ISO performance or are into the low depth-of-field of full-frame, then you should stick with your 7D and wait a generation or two before upgrading to the next body.

Personally I'd never consider a body upgrade if the old one is younger than 5 years, if there is not a very specific itch that I'd like to scratch.

Cheers, Robert

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 01:49:58 AM »
Background: 19 Y/O, Own: 7D, 50mm 1.4, 24-70mm L. 70-200mm L 2.8 Mark II, Sigma 10mm Fisheye (ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH 1.6 sensors.), and the 530EXII. Plan on getting internship to shoot weddings to build up my portfolio this summer. This camera seems like THE WEDDING CAMERA.

In low ISO D800, 5Dii, 5Diii are neck by neck. The difference is not much so is not a big deal to be worried. In high ISO 5Diii takes the lead equivalent to 2 f/stop. It's a big thing to consider. It means that in some conditions of light you can take pics with 5Diii without a speedlite while others with D800 or 5Dii still need flash. Think it. It's a big convenience if you want to take pics in a wedding or indoor events. It's the wedding camera, 5Diii.
Besides, your lenses are in dream of many shooters, why you have to trade?
In your situation, with my point of view, 5Diii is the choice.
The difference of $500 still much cheaper than switch, so it's better.
Anyway,you may keep it in at least 4 years, or 1460 days. $500/1460= $0.34/day with satifaction, it's worth it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:51:37 AM by Sony »

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:03 AM »
What I'd like to know is how does a 19 year old student afford all of that camera gear?  Very generous parents or an amazingly well-paid summer job?  I'm in my 30s with full-time paid employment, and *I* can't afford that stuff hahah.   ;D
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

newjerseykita

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »
By the way...so cool to see a 19 yo that quotes/posts a top gun link....one of the great movies of all time

Hahahaha Northstar! Were you losing faith in my generation or something?

ANYWAYS TO RESOLVE THIS POST (at least for me) I'm going to buy the 5D3 I've been itching for the full frame advantage for too long now!

Thank you everyone who keeps posting as well as all of those who entered information.

To streamline it, DxO numbers mean nothing Compare the two cameras together and look at the charts. SO SIMILAR.

1.) D800 Better for Landscape Low iso's allow for higher Dynamic Range where the D800 is king! However by the time you get to Iso 800 the cameras basically become the same in regards to SNR and DR

2.) 5D3 Redefines Auto focus system, metering system, iso performance in low light. When you buy this camera you plan on having it for at least! 3-4 years! 1460 DAYS

NOW FOR SOME MATH

3,500/1460 = $2.40 a day if you own it for four years and don't sell it. At 4 years it will have costed you $2.40 a day to own.

However if you sell it for whatever it's worth at that point? $2350 used? To get a new body, you'll have spent .79 cents a day to keep that camera. SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA NOW HUH?

Oh simple math, how convincing you are. I'll definitely make well over 3K with this camera just from work with it.

I can justify the price now, the specs are good for me. Now what about you?

revup67

• 6D
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:29 AM »
K-amps - I might disagree when you refer to the D800 when you say
If you are into Macro
.  Nikon doesn't have anything like the MP-E 65 lens.  It is the king of kings for serious macro shooters with a 1x-5x magnification.  Getting the essential MT 24-EX flash makes this an incredible setup (5D Mkii, MP-E 65 and the MT 24EX).  I'm just waiting for the 5D MKiii like others as I am anxious to take photos with this setup.  PS let's not forget the razor sharp 100mm IS USM L 2.8 with 1x macro as well.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

newjerseykita

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
What I'd like to know is how does a 19 year old student afford all of that camera gear?  Very generous parents or an amazingly well-paid summer job?  I'm in my 30s with full-time paid employment, and *I* can't afford that stuff hahah.   ;D

GOOD QUESTION ALLOW ME TO BRAG.

TL;DR at the bottom for all you lazy people.

Now in all seriousness, think about my situation. 19 years old, my parents are fortunate enough to afford me going to college. That is their gift to me, paying for my college. With that said, i'm helping them out by becoming a RESIDENT ASSISTANT next year, i got the job and my college housing is free next year. I cut my tuition by $11,000 for my parents.

With this said, i started working at 17, got a good job and worked around 20 Hours a week at 17. A Few months later i got a promotion from 7.50 to $8, 9, when i work as a manager when the boss is out. Again still being in high school living at home with NO BILLS TO PAY. I would work around 12 hours a week year round, bumping up my hours to a max of 25 hours a weed during the summer.

Prior to that i had already saved up around $800 birthdays, i researched for 4 years before finally buying a camera, i originally was going to buy a Nikon D200, then i wanted the D300, then when i worked a wedding with my father, who is a DJ (Also made money on the side with this) , i met a photographer who shot canon, around the time when the 7D came out, he suggested i get that or the 50D.

Did my research 7D was for me. Bought shitty lenses with it, 50mm, and 28m f2.8. Just stupid stupid naive purchases... Bought the 10mm Fisheye from sigma One of my favorite purchases everwanted versatility, bought the sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3. Quality sucked, wanted professional glass. Had my dad SPOT ME A GRAND, picked up the 28-300 L 3.5-5.6.

This combination opened up a new position for senior year for me. The Student Photographer position. I made $9 to shoot sports. Worked 2 jobs. Paid off that lens. Bought the 24-70, worked a buttload and just saved. Saving, saving, saving. It's my hidden talent apparently.

Summer comes, i want bokeh, i go to Allens camera in PA, sell my 28mm, 18-200 (Which i regret right now) and the 28-300. Got the Gary Fong light sphere collapsible pro, as well as a REFURBISHED 70-200 IS USM f2.8 Mark II. IT WAS FLAWLESS.

My friend switched to Nikon, picked up his 50mm 1.4 for like $280?

Finally get to college and i'm shooting a football game with my gear, i see a guy come off the field and i want a field pass i asked how to get one. He brings me up to the box to talk to Sheila. Sheila basically looks at my gear, says we have a job opening let me see your Sportfolio©. I show her, i get the job, i now have a $9 a job at school as a freshman. I'm getting like 10 hour weeks.

And now i'm here, waiting to work weddings, combo up with my father. The killa combo.

But some key facts allow me to have all of this gear.

1.) I Don't pay for a house, bills, college,
2.) I don't have a car, people buy cars, i buy cameras. (Family has 5 people in it, we have 5 cars. 2 from deceased family members)
3.) I'm in college, a lot of kids blow the money they saved on DRUGS, i'll be blunt... and apparently punny. But kids spend a lot of money on alcohol and marijuana. I hustle my way into parties for free.

In the end of it all, i've paid my father back all the money he's loaned me and i now PERSONALLY OWN all of my gear, and it feels amazing to know that. I've already accomplished something great and it just feels so good to know that I ACTUALLY WORKED FOR IT. If it was all handed to me, i wouldn't love photography as much as i do. So to answer your question now i don't have parents that spoil me! :D

To long; Didn't Read?

TL;DR: I can afford all of my camera gear as a 19 year old because i don't have many fiscal responsibilities  yet such as Bills, car insurance, college, and or splurging on drugs. Plus i've just been fortunate in creating jobs for myself or coming upon job opportunities because of my gear/vast knowledge of gear from reading and studying cameras and the technical aspects for photography. Don't just learn how to do it, KNOW how it works/why it works and how to do it. Lastly, i just can stretch a dollar very well, i learned how to get money and keep money. Open a savings account and just leave the money in there. Save as much as you can.

That's my 2 cents. Cheers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
Well it appears that you are building a strong foundation with great gear, finances, at least for the interim under control and got your ducks lined up in a row... When I went to school for photography, i got a 10D (brand new release at the time, woo hoo)  and got crappy lenses to shoot with...  Then spent the last decade upgrading bodies/lenses/knowledge to keep up with the market.  Keep working hard and dont get discouraged when things get tough.  A lot of upcoming pros wash out because they get discouraged, run out of money, and dont see it through.  Learn your basics, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, take business classes and finance classes...  As well as marketing and the like.  They will help you keep your photography business from turning into a photography non profit.  A lot of "photography" fine arts schools and even Fine Arts majors do not require a heavy allotment of business classes to graduate, but you need those to keep you afloat once you start to take off.  You need to have the skills and gear but you also need business savvy to keep you viable and in the black.  Good luck and stick with the 5d3, as a body system as a whole, it's miles ahead of the 5d2, even though the sensor size is similar. 

P.S., if you like Top Gun, Top Gun 2 is in the works and Tom Cruise is back as maverick. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Hathaway

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »
First, I would call around to the places you are thinking of interning at and ask their opinion/recommendation. Start establishing a relationship.

Second, If you are seriously thinking of switching I would take the advice to rent the D800 and the glass you think you will want and try it.

Third, If you read Fred Miranda's write up you will see that there are compromises with both systems. Ask yourself why so many of the images posted are taken with the 5D3 and so few with the D800? Also, his article focused on landscape photography and not wedding/event photography and yet his images are mostly 5D3. With the 5D3 he was able to capture the images he thought worthy of posting. His impediments capturing images with the D800 seemed to be related to 1) lack of experience with the D800, 2) issues with D800 live view, 3) lenses

Forth, Read the reviews and comments of the people who actually bought and take real pictures with the 5D3. Mostly, but not entirely, ignore the DXO stats and folks who want to rag on images of lens caps. Yes, the D800 has better DR and shadow recovery. How many of YOUR shots that are properly exposed do you need/want to pull 4 stops our of the shadows?

Just some thoughts.

I think people are looking at Fred Miranda's few photos where he tried to recover shadows and highlights and missing the point of his larger review.  As the poster above states, Fred found deficiencies in some of the DR of the 5D3 but in all spent the most time with the 5D3, captured some amazing pictures given the capabilities of the camera and more importantly the quality of the Canon glass and ultimately didn't use the D800 much given some of the deficiencies in ability to spot focus and use the camera in the conditions he needed.

I focus more on landscape photography and the reviews of the 5D3 and D800 have been most challenging for me.  As others have said, a 5D3 with the D800 sensor would be an amazing machine.  I will probably upgrade to the 5D3 as I am soarly in need of an upgrade (come from the 20d) and will see if Canon produces a higher MP camera in the future that significantly improves DR.  If so, I will sell the 5D3 and upgrade, if not I will keep the 5D3 and probably be perfectly happy. 

The biggest conclusion I came away with from Fred's review and others posts in DRP and elsewhere is the need to add the TS-E lenses to my arsenal.  I am saving right now for these two gems as they appear to be a landscape photographer's dream!!!    ;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »