July 30, 2014, 07:33:02 AM

Author Topic: Advice: On buying 5D3.  (Read 10019 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Advice: On buying 5D3.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
Can someone please link me to a 5Dc i can't find it.

Here ya go! Its a good real world review of the Original 5D or also know as the 5D classic.

http://web.me.com/videoman69/Steve_Huff_Photos/CANON_5D.html

The original 5d was a great camera at the time... the 5d3 with it's AF, with it's ISO capabilities, with its featureset, liveview (original 5d doesn't have), same batteries as the 7d, etc... it leaves the 5dc in the dust. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
If you want the full frame advantage and dont plan to do video, BUY A 5Dc! Its a Superb camera and can be found for under 900$! It will complement your 7D perfectly and you can decided later if you REALLY want a 5d3.

It is a great cam... or was... I sold mine a few weeks back. The ISO performance of the 5dc got beat at 800/1600 by a T2i I borrowed from a friend, telling him how nice FF does on ISO... boy was that awkward when we compared shots... but it is an FF sensor.....

I Disagree.  :P The 5Dc has the exact same ISO performance as my 7D, just full frame.
Ok I will bite..  :)

Even if ISO performance is same with the 7D/T2i ... a lot of the FF Advantage is gone. What you are left with is more OOF blur, the width/length advantages is a wash. Plus the additional cost of EF lenses needed for FF... I think the biggest advantage FF has is better ISO handling, if it is the same as the T2i/7D... then why bother?  ;)

Quite simple, The thread stated that newjerseykita already had full frame lenses. So when he asked for a camera to START into the full frame advantage, Such as Nice OOF blur I Highly recommended the 5D classic. Its half the cost of a 5DII or the 3500$ price tag of the 5D3 but would get Kita into the full frame world.

Really, I could buy a used 5Dc + 50mm 1.2L at the price of the 5DII body or even the 5DIII body. Also, I've shot with the mark II and is a great camera but Not for 2000$. (its AF is essentially the same as the 5Dc). With modern noise reduction programs like Lightroom, I do not hesitate to shoot at ISO 3200 on my 5Dc.

IMHO, For someone who wants full frame but Cant justify a MKII because its AF but is wondering if the 5D3 is really worth 3500$, The 5Dc is the obvious choice.

samthefish

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
I have a 7D and similar set of glass as yours.  Spending $3.5K for 5D3 wasn't in the cards so I bought a used 5D2 2 weeks ago for $1500.  Comparing 7D to 5D2 my impressions were:

- Wow, AF on 5D Mkii is pretty bad compared to 7d.  Slower, with fewer focus points. 
- Build quality on 5D Mkii is slightly worse than 7d.  In particular the CF cover seemed a little flimsier but I doubt it would ever be a problem

- Image quality is fantastic on 5DmkII.  I took some photos with the 28-135L kit lens on a trip with my kids to the farm and was blown away by how much detail there was in an image compared to 7D, not just in number of pixels but how accurate those pixels are as you look at 100% crops.   I can crop more and still get high detail.  Having both a crop sensor and full frame lets me get more out of the lenses I do have - use the 70-200 with extender/7D for outdoor sports and use 70-200 with 5D for portraits for example.

For weddings I would think the 5DmkIII would be great - combination of great low light and autofocus would be great for catching moments at weddings where you're often inside and everything is moving around.  If I wanted to photograph full time I would get one in a heartbeat.  Being an occasional freelancer I can make do with what I have.

SamTheFish
5D MK III, 7D, 24-105  4.0L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L Macro, 17-55 2.8, Tamron 10-22

CanonLITA

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Anyways in response to the price drop, why wouldn't they lower the price!? Negative press is NEGATIVE PRESS. As a Public Relations major, this would be a good way to say look, we F_____ up, you deserve better than this here's the price difference.

I realize that price drop has gone OT at this point, but.. do you really think that they will drop the price anytime soon? I am not a marketing expert, but to me the price drop would sound like they saying: "Ok, we screwed, our camera is really worth less than we pretended it to be worth; would you consider buying it for $500 less?". If you ask me, it's not gonna happen no matter the sales figures or the low demand: they're better slowing down production instead.  :(

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
If you want the full frame advantage and dont plan to do video, BUY A 5Dc! Its a Superb camera and can be found for under 900$! It will complement your 7D perfectly and you can decided later if you REALLY want a 5d3.

It is a great cam... or was... I sold mine a few weeks back. The ISO performance of the 5dc got beat at 800/1600 by a T2i I borrowed from a friend, telling him how nice FF does on ISO... boy was that awkward when we compared shots... but it is an FF sensor.....

I Disagree.  :P The 5Dc has the exact same ISO performance as my 7D, just full frame.

Even if ISO performance is same with the 7D/T2i ... a lot of the FF Advantage is gone. What you are left with is more OOF blur, the width/length advantages is a wash. Plus the additional cost of EF lenses needed for FF... I think the biggest advantage FF has is better ISO handling, if it is the same as the T2i/7D... then why bother?  ;)

Quite simple, The thread stated that newjerseykita already had full frame lenses. So when he asked for a camera to START into the full frame advantage, Such as Nice OOF blur I Highly recommended the 5D classic. Its half the cost of a 5DII or the 3500$ price tag of the 5D3 but would get Kita into the full frame world.

Really, I could buy a used 5Dc + 50mm 1.2L at the price of the 5DII body or even the 5DIII body. Also, I've shot with the mark II and is a great camera but Not for 2000$. (its AF is essentially the same as the 5Dc). With modern noise reduction programs like Lightroom, I do not hesitate to shoot at ISO 3200 on my 5Dc.

IMHO, For someone who wants full frame but Cant justify a MKII because its AF but is wondering if the 5D3 is really worth 3500$, The 5Dc is the obvious choice.

I'd advise him to get a 5d2 for $1500-1750 range. If the only thing he did was portraits then I too would recommend the 5d1, but the ISO of the 5d2 leave it in the dust for other applications. Plus it has AFMA/Liveview/22mp/video etc.  I was researching dpreview and snagged a couple of ISO3200 shots of the 5D, 7D and 50D. They are all close, but the 5D at 3200 is closer to the 50D. The 7D is slightly better than both with lower Chroma/color noise than the 5D1. Especially check the Black area...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:51:49 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
I have a 7D and similar set of glass as yours.  Spending $3.5K for 5D3 wasn't in the cards so I bought a used 5D2 2 weeks ago for $1500.  Comparing 7D to 5D2 my impressions were:

- Wow, AF on 5D Mkii is pretty bad compared to 7d.  Slower, with fewer focus points. 
- Build quality on 5D Mkii is slightly worse than 7d.  In particular the CF cover seemed a little flimsier but I doubt it would ever be a problem

- Image quality is fantastic on 5DmkII.  I took some photos with the 28-135L kit lens on a trip with my kids to the farm and was blown away by how much detail there was in an image compared to 7D, not just in number of pixels but how accurate those pixels are as you look at 100% crops.   I can crop more and still get high detail.  Having both a crop sensor and full frame lets me get more out of the lenses I do have - use the 70-200 with extender/7D for outdoor sports and use 70-200 with 5D for portraits for example.

For weddings I would think the 5DmkIII would be great - combination of great low light and autofocus would be great for catching moments at weddings where you're often inside and everything is moving around.  If I wanted to photograph full time I would get one in a heartbeat.  Being an occasional freelancer I can make do with what I have.

SamTheFish

I think you are talking about the 24-105L kit lens?  The 28-135 is non L and a pretty lousy lens, but anywho... I had the same impressions when I shot with the 5d2 after owning the 7d... Even trying to shoot my kids running around a well lit indoor play facility, the 5d2 could not keep up with a keeper rate of maybe 25% if that... taking my same 7d out at the same time my keeper rate jumped up to 75-80% and that's with my critical editing.  The IQ wasn't as spectacular but at least they were in focus... In the end, that's what matters.  Also RL Photo, you say you shoot ISO 3200 with no fear while using some NR in lightroom... with the 5d3 you can shoot at ISO 20000 with the same no fear attitude... That and the incredible AF... that's something that makes the 5d3 worth it's weight in gold. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

I'd advise him to get a 5d2 for $1500-1750 range. If the only thing he did was portraits then I too would recommend the 5d1, but the ISO of the 5d2 leave it in the dust for other applications. Plus it has AFMA/Liveview/22mp/video etc.  I was researching dpreview and snagged a couple of ISO3200 shots of the 5D, 7D and 50D. They are all close, but the 5D at 3200 is closer to the 50D. The 7D is slightly better than both with lower Chroma/color noise than the 5D1. Especially check the Black area...

Like I said they have the same ISO performance from first hand experience. Modern programs like lightroom or Aperture will make that tiny possibly 1/3 stop advantage M00t. Plus, he cant justify the 3500$ price tag to get into full frame 5D mark III.

For 700$ (The price I got mine off of ebay for), What could it hurt? It has the same terrible AF as the MKII and the ISO perfomance is still good for this day and age but wont pay 1800$ price tag for a used MKII.

This is whats great about canon, They have affordable full frame cameras.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

newjerseykita

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Gentlemen, you are forgetting that, i have saved up for this camera and i can afford it, i was just looking in terms of the reviews that it got from DxO that the some how rated it so poorly (in regards on not being able to justify spending 3.5K), but after i compared the cameras side by side and looked at all the graphs the D800 has a slight edge over the 5D3 but not 14 points over it.

Secondly, i NEED the AF, i'll be doing sports photography here at school for at least 3 years, if i'm going to come back needing to shoot sports i'm going to get a camera that can keep up with my subjects.

I WILL BE GETTING THE 5D3, however this thread is INVALUABLE to people who want to jump into the Full Frame as an amateur doing it as a hobby. I get paid for my shots that's how i can justify the price now.

Third, it meets all the requirements that i plan to be using it for, it is the perfect wedding/low light camera, and boy that feature will be abused in my hands.

Just a little input from the Original Poster to keep this thread interesting. I've made my decision, you guys have all helped immensely. But my favorite addition was bringing up the 5Dc great topic, and seemingly great camera, if i didn't shoot what i shoot. That's most likely what i would've picked up as well as a couple L lenses. :P

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »
Gentlemen, you are forgetting that, i have saved up for this camera and i can afford it, i was just looking in terms of the reviews that it got from DxO that the some how rated it so poorly (in regards on not being able to justify spending 3.5K), but after i compared the cameras side by side and looked at all the graphs the D800 has a slight edge over the 5D3 but not 14 points over it.

Secondly, i NEED the AF, i'll be doing sports photography here at school for at least 3 years, if i'm going to come back needing to shoot sports i'm going to get a camera that can keep up with my subjects.

I WILL BE GETTING THE 5D3, however this thread is INVALUABLE to people who want to jump into the Full Frame as an amateur doing it as a hobby. I get paid for my shots that's how i can justify the price now.

Third, it meets all the requirements that i plan to be using it for, it is the perfect wedding/low light camera, and boy that feature will be abused in my hands.

Just a little input from the Original Poster to keep this thread interesting. I've made my decision, you guys have all helped immensely. But my favorite addition was bringing up the 5Dc great topic, and seemingly great camera, if i didn't shoot what i shoot. That's most likely what i would've picked up as well as a couple L lenses. :P

We hope that the 5d3 works well with what your intended use is. I've never shot sports professionally, but weddings as a candidman I do all the time.

Perhaps a Used 1D MK IV may be an option for your sports use? LOL JK!  ;D

samthefish

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »

SamTheFish
[/quote]

I think you are talking about the 24-105L kit lens?
[/quote]

Yes, I meant the 24-105L.  I also have the 28-135 and it's OK on a crop sensor but crappy on a full frame.
5D MK III, 7D, 24-105  4.0L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L Macro, 17-55 2.8, Tamron 10-22

KurtStevens

• Rebel SL1
  • Practice safe photography, Use a concept.
    • View Profile
    • Kurt Stevens Photography
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:33 PM »
I have both the 5dc (classic) and 5d3.  I loved my 5d, worked great but I couldn't' push it higher than 1250 in low light before I have no detail or the grain is too unbearable.  Everything lower than 1250 is great, especially when you have tons of light to work with.  Used 5d and 7d to shoot a rodeo event over this last summer, great pair.  The only thing that I wished the 5dc had was a slightly larger screen, and slightly higher fps.  But this is an ancient camera (relative terms) but its still a good camera.   Just sold my 5dc and I am stoked with my 5d3.  If you can't get 5d3, get the 5dc!  Price couldn't be better.
5D3 + 16-35 + 85 + 135

Sony

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
Comparision on those websites just numbers by numbers, graphs by graphs, words by words, not real life. How often you print a pic? How large? Common sizes are from 4x6'' to 12x18''. In low ISO, with accurate exposure and without much crop, there's no matter between 36 or 23 or 21MP in a print. So D800, 5Diii and 5Diii tie. But in high ISO (low light) 5Diii takes lead with many conveniences, conveniences in real life. We need those.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
I have both the 5dc (classic) and 5d3.  I loved my 5d, worked great but I couldn't' push it higher than 1250 in low light before I have no detail or the grain is too unbearable.  Everything lower than 1250 is great, especially when you have tons of light to work with.  Used 5d and 7d to shoot a rodeo event over this last summer, great pair.  The only thing that I wished the 5dc had was a slightly larger screen, and slightly higher fps.  But this is an ancient camera (relative terms) but its still a good camera.   Just sold my 5dc and I am stoked with my 5d3.  If you can't get 5d3, get the 5dc!  Price couldn't be better.

What what what, RL Photo said he doesn't hesitate to shoot ISO 3200 on the classic?  yeah... I think your findings are more in touch with reality for the classic.  =) 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »

What what what, RL Photo said he doesn't hesitate to shoot ISO 3200 on the classic?  yeah... I think your findings are more in touch with reality for the classic.  =)

I guess some are just more brave than others.  ::) I even shoot ISO 6400 on my 7D and sometimes H1. Sometimes I even add grain to my Low ISO photos.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:41:48 PM by RLPhoto »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »

I guess some are just more brave than others.  ::) I even shoot ISO 6400 on my 7D and sometimes H1. Sometimes I even add grain to my Low ISO photos.

Even with LR, I could not really go over ISO 400 without the noise being a compromise between detail and grain... however on the 5D3, I go 12800 and can cover it in PP.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:43:34 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »