April 19, 2014, 01:12:31 AM

Author Topic: Photographer Profile: Drew "Rukes" Ressler  (Read 16468 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Photographer Profile: Drew "Rukes" Ressler
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
Our 3rd photographer profile has been completed.

Drew “Rukes” Ressler took the time to talk with us about his photography and his business. Business looks to be pretty good for him.

As I mention in the interview, I was intrigued by Drew because he seems to have created a thriving business in a new and/or underserved genre of photography.

Check out the CR interview.

Check out Drew’s Site: www.rukes.com

cr

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:16:56 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Photographer Profile: Drew "Rukes" Ressler
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »

SImages

Re: Photographer Profile: Drew \
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »
I like the concepts and his work in general, but I wasn't blown away by it. Great day (night!) job though!

"Any formal training in photography?
None at all."

It shows.

Whilst I like the concepts that he takes and the general composure, only one of those shots in the article were even close to horizontal and it was a little off-putting. Also, there are a few distractions and things that could easily be removed to improve the photo's even more.

Note: Having horizontal and vertical lines angled can add a sense of action to a photo, when they are not deliberate and only slightly off it can be off-putting and look a little un-professional. I have a similar problem when hand-holding but I think mine tilt right (rather than Drews which tilt left), lightroom and any other program can fix this very easily.

I commend Drew for his abilities and good decisions, but I think his photo's would go to another level if he had some training.

DockNorth

Re: Photographer Profile: Drew "Rukes" Ressler
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:02 PM »
I liked his photos a lot and thought they really caught the excitement and general feel of the experience. I get the point about them not being technically perfect (no formal training) but in this genre a little "off the hip" and impromptu feel helps more than hurts.  I looked at them and, while I did not study them to find technical faults, they really captured the moment for me.  I don't care that there was a "tilt' to them.  Quite a few that I saw were outstanding!

He has obviously taken a step back, looked away from the obvious, and found the unique aspect of the moment to capitalize on his interests.  Lucky man!

And yes, sometimes at a fancy restaurant I use the salad fork for my entree.

bopie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »
None at all."

It shows.

He's doing something right if he's hanging out with celebrities.

npherno

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
None at all."

It shows.

He's doing something right if he's hanging out with celebrities.

Its easy to hate the guy on top, huh?

I know Rukes from the photography-on-the-net forum, where there is the end all to be all thread or two about nightclub photography. He takes AMAZING nightlife photos.

I also do some club shooting-not only because its fun, but it is hard, and teaches you how to shoot in the worst conditions, and always in low(no)light.

I find it hard to believe people still think that people like Rukes, Al Powers, or or even people like Ron Galella do not have a place in modern art. Obviously there are formal ways of shooting, and all rules are made to be broken.

People like Drew and Al Powers have literally made people pick up cameras and love to take photos. They have also been selfless in sharing what they know to help others get better.

And, as was already pointed out, judging by Ruke's success, he is doing something right. 

While I am on my soapbox, Please check out:

Nightlife threads on Photography on the Net
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=415099
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=895331

My Friend Srika's Page-His work is Stunning.
http://night-club-photography.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?5-Gallery&s=769633bb40cb692802f328e92cf30b5e
http://night-club-photography.com/forums/showthread.php?10-srika-s-photos-*NWS*

Al Powers-Las Vegas-A former club shooter "gone good". He rarely shoots clubs now. He has also switched to the dark side. :-)
http://powersimagery.com/blog/

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »

None at all."

It shows.

This is your first post.  Post some of your images.  You have no credibility as a expert as it stands.

Rukes

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »
I like the concepts and his work in general, but I wasn't blown away by it. Great day (night!) job though!

None at all."

It shows.

Whilst I like the concepts that he takes and the general composure, only one of those shots in the article were even close to horizontal and it was a little off-putting. Also, there are a few distractions and things that could easily be removed to improve the photo's even more.

Note: Having horizontal and vertical lines angled can add a sense of action to a photo, when they are not deliberate and only slightly off it can be off-putting and look a little un-professional. I have a similar problem when hand-holding but I think mine tilt right (rather than Drews which tilt left), lightroom and any other program can fix this very easily.

I commend Drew for his abilities and good decisions, but I think his photo's would go to another level if he had some training.

Yes, I do agree some of my pics are a bit tilted :) The thing you have to realize is that all of this is hand-held, it's impossible to do any of these shots with even a monopod (and usually a fire hazard/illegal). So there will be some tilting, although most of the ones in the example pics are very slight so you won't notice unless you almost pixel peep and look carefully :)

As Dock said, they are more photojournalist pics, since in all the situations, there is no real posing or anything, just getting a quick pic or two, or even like the Aoki one, being pushed around in all directions while in a drunk crowd! I tend to keep the pics that way.

One thing to note is I never crop my pics at all, the only exception ever is that Motley Crue group shot, since I went a little too wide. Everything else I like to compose in camera. I never do any photoshopping either, so if something sticks out bad enough, i'll just get rid of the pic and retake it.

One thing to note is that all the way up until last August, all my pics were JPEGs SOOC. So I have only been doing more post recently, so I haven't tried any of the lightroom features yet for leveling/tilting photos...right now just filters and basic post. So eventually I will work on possibly fixing the tilting in post :)

One thing I don't really get is the training aspect. What exactly  is necessary in doing that for me? I take pictures the way I want them to look, i'm pleased with what I do, others are pleased with what I do, and i'm continually improving. I don't want to go to a college class where rules for photography that don't apply to my genere are forced on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »

DockNorth

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:02 AM »
"One thing I don't really get is the training aspect. What exactly is necessary in doing that for me?"

You take the training so that your shots will look like everybody else's! Perfectly composed and conforming to all the rules. I took some training, read some books, and it helped me.  Now I really want to become creative and make some "out of the box" shots that nobody else does.

Rukes - I really enjoy your work!  Obviously you do as well.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
Rukes,

Love your photography.  I was just listening to Deadmau5 yesterday and chuckling at the awesome outfit but had no idea who did the photography for his promo material and his shows.  keep up the great work!

CRguy,

keep up the great work too.  it's really enjoyable reading the photographer profiles because everyone approaches their work from a totally different angle, and I like the broad spectrum of photogs you've chosen to interview so far.  it's great that you bring meaningful and educational content along with the everyday run of rumors, and it's a great synergy that I don't see/get from other websites

IWLP

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »
Some cool photos and I was even turned on to some new music!

Very cool.

And I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to "coach" a guy who makes a living not only doing what he loves, but shoots in his own, deliberate style.   ???
I'm *this* close to switching to Nikon! I swear - I'll do it! Maybe next month, or in a week, or when they release the D ... oh, look a shiny thing!

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »
I'm all for training, but training is a two edged sword.  You might learn what your teacher knows, but if he has it wrong, so do you. 

Experience, like most endeavors is where you really learn, and you can teach yourself if you really want to learn.

I received a engineering degree from a large University, but when I went to work, the training really began, I was in no way ready to take on real world engineering responsibilities.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:42:49 AM by scalesusa »

JRSJ

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
Loved it -- bookmarked and looking forward to seeing more of your work Rukes.

bhavikk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:46 AM »
Great profile and images Rukes. I really enjoyed it, espically because I've been getting into Nightclub photography.

Though the events are not as big as the ones you attend and my images are probably not as good yet, I'm still learning.

I have a couple questions though.

How often do you find yourself using a flash? and How did you get the nickname Rukes?
Gear: A lot of gear made by Canon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:46 AM »

Rukes

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »
I'm all for training, but training is a two edged sword.  You might learn what your teacher knows, but if he has it wrong, so do you. 

Experience, like most endeavors is where you really learn, and you can teach yourself if you really want to learn.

I received a engineering degree from a large University, but when I went to work, the training really began, I was in no way ready to take on real world engineering responsibilities.

Exactly. Chances are if I go to any photography school, they will pretty much know nothing about what I do...which is why I prefer to just learn it all myself.

Great profile and images Rukes. I really enjoyed it, espically because I've been getting into Nightclub photography.

Though the events are not as big as the ones you attend and my images are probably not as good yet, I'm still learning.

I have a couple questions though.

How often do you find yourself using a flash? and How did you get the nickname Rukes?

Probably 30% of the time I use a flash. I try to get as many of my pics in natural light as possible and only use a flash if it's a potrait of a person (i.e. not a DJ) or I need the extra light.

For the second part, I have a big FAQ section on my page :)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
hi, nice profile!

but this is not club photography, this is stage or concert photography.
since djs have stage shows like rockstars, there is no difference.
club photography, what i know, is in dark and foggy clubs with no lights.
concerts like this in the profile have a lot of light, you dont need a lens like 1,2/85.

if you looking at his gallery, the clubphotos from avalon (f.e. felix da housecat)
there is boring frontflash, not the best choise. also the view of the dj from behind,
i dont like this so much. this could be better - that is possible.

microbi

We'd love to see the professional "good" photography you do, post some.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:47:29 PM by scalesusa »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »