Mine arrived this afternoon so I've only had a few minutes to play with it but a couple of impressions so far:
- There are a lot of parts to keep track of (cables, pouches, bags, etc..) but at least it comes with the USB cable to connect to the 7D (when that firmware is released) as well as the USB cable you will need to connect it to your computer for the Logging software or if you use it as a data logger.
- I'm an Aperture user and confirmed that all of the GPS data including direction properly encoded in the images and is loaded into Aperture, but Aperture doesn't seem to know what to do with the compass data right now. As long as the data is there (which it is) maybe a future version will support that feature.
- Does not include the single AA battery you need to use it.
- Initial satellite synch took about 90-120 seconds when I first went outside and turned it on.
- I have not and likely will not install the software that came with it now that I've confirmed that Aperture will do what I want it to for location data; I'll just use that.
I've got a lot of shooting planned for this weekend where I'll be moving in and out of buildings and since I know the location very well, I'll know exactly where every shot was taken. That should help to get a good sense of how it maintains the satellite lock and accuracy under realistic shooting conditions.