December 18, 2014, 11:04:15 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Invention to eliminate need for dedicated AF sensor  (Read 1577 times)

swrightgfx

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Patent: Invention to eliminate need for dedicated AF sensor
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »
Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to put this, as it could apply to both EOS and consumer or mirrorless devices.

Anyway, attached is a patent application for what seems to be a new method for phase detection autofocus, not requiring an AF sensor within target of a half mirror, quick return mirror, etc. From my understanding, the want to do away with a dedicated AF sensor for phase detection and instead incorporating it into the sensor would be either to save space and reduce the size of future entry-level SLRs, or as a method for a future mirrorless to knock over the competition. (As far as I know, the Nikon 1 is the only mirrorless to feature a form of phase detection at a sensor level, albeit "hybrid" with contrast detection.)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Notice the focus on video and the allowance for switching between pixel skipping and binning.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:42:00 AM by swrightgfx »

canon rumors FORUM

Patent: Invention to eliminate need for dedicated AF sensor
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: Invention to eliminate need for dedicated AF sensor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »
as you said, the nikon 1 has been doing that for quite some time.

The same info can be found in the Nikon 1 brochure.

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/acil/pdf/Nikon1_Lineup.pdf

"The phase-detection AF, embedded in the newly developed sensor, will track and capture fast-moving subjects in sharp, crystal-clear focus."

phase detection can be inacurate but fast, contrast detection is acurate but slower. future AF systems will surely incorporate the speed of phase detect with accuracy of contrast.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »
I just found this thread
kudos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »