April 17, 2014, 07:36:54 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III hacked – Magic Lantern on way  (Read 4262 times)

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
Canon 5D Mark III hacked – Magic Lantern on way
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »
I'm sure that some of the owners of 5d3 will be more than happy: http://twitter.com/#!/autoexec_bin/status/195800277079687169, reading that Magic Lantern WILL work on 5d3 :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:00:22 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »

Christian_Stella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Out of Date Portfolio
Re: "Hello World!" on 5d3
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:13:11 AM »
This is awesome... even though I am one of the absolute staunchest supporters of the 5d3, I still feel like there's something intentionally crippled in there.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
Re: "Hello World!" on 5d3
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
More than awesome :)

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
5D MKIII

babarasghar

Re: Canon 5D Mark III hacked – Magic Lantern on way
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
I'm confused here
Alex n his team failed to port MAGIC LANTERN on 7D for last 1yr how all of sudden within few weeks of 5d3 release they have succeeded

@!ex

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
I'm confused here
Alex n his team failed to port MAGIC LANTERN on 7D for last 1yr how all of sudden within few weeks of 5d3 release they have succeeded

I could be wrong but I believe that it has to do with the inherent complexity of porting the software to work on a dual digic 7D, where as even though the 5D has a digic5, it is not a dual chip.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
I'm confused here

i believe dual digic made it trickier but more importantly the 7D had some sort of limit on how many times a new firmware could be loaded before it locked out, maybe that was just a rumor (if not, hopefully the 5D3 won't have the same thing, or they can crack that part of it)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »
This could potentially be huge.  The mk3 is a video beast waiting to be let out of its cage.

marvinhello

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 1D C user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
I'm confused here

i believe dual digic made it trickier but more importantly the 7D had some sort of limit on how many times a new firmware could be loaded before it locked out, maybe that was just a rumor (if not, hopefully the 5D3 won't have the same thing, or they can crack that part of it)

It's because 7D has dual DIGIC 4, the way 7D runs tasks are is quite different from single DIGIC cameras (such as 5D3), everything is handled by two processors, we don't know how they split tasks etc, hence it's far more difficult to port ML to 7D. But the work is being done. we haven't gave up.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
I'm confused here

It's because 7D has dual DIGIC 4, the way 7D runs tasks are is quite different from single DIGIC cameras (such as 5D3), everything is handled by two processors, we don't know how they split tasks etc, hence it's far more difficult to port ML to 7D. But the work is being done. we haven't gave up.

So the whole thing about the 7D locking out firmware upgrades after a while was just a wild rumor then I take it?

marvinhello

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 1D C user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
I'm confused here

So the whole thing about the 7D locking out firmware upgrades after a while was just a wild rumor then I take it?

Yes, it's just technical reason, nothing to do with Canon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »