April 16, 2014, 03:39:27 AM

Author Topic: 1d X field test  (Read 11354 times)

seekn

Re: 1d X field test
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:29 AM »
"The 5D3 on the other hand i believe was released because of the pressure of the D800 and i must admit, it doesn't feel like the finished product in terms of features and firmware"

When you say "feel" does it mean you have one?  Because when I use my 5dmarkiii it "feels" like an extremely well-built camera.  I personally feel it was very very well done and that is one thing that you cant rate with a chart is the ergonomics and general overall build of the camera.  The AF runs like butter when you get it dialed in and the overall look, color and picture quality look great. 
Everyone talks about DR, resolution, sharpness, but overall how does the whole picture look?!  Is it flat?  Does it pop?  Is it creamy?  I think the mark iii excels there.
I cant believe how many people review something they have never used or just used once or twice, or borrowed their friends to try out for 10 minutes.  This camera definitely takes a week or two just to get used to the little nuances of the AF, the menu system, the light meter etc...  in short - its a great camera.  Can it be improved? yes but so can all others.
Bringing it back to the 1dx because im hijacking this thread (sorry) - I truly hope for the price difference there is something better than just build quality and fps with the 1dx. And heres the important point to me:  we need to stop comparing between Canon and Nikon obsessively.  Its great that it breeds competition and we should compare a bit to push technology BUT instead of looking over the fence to see what the other team has, we should be looking at our OWN cameras and determine what we truly NEED.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 01:42:29 AM »

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 04:03:47 AM »
Like i said when i played with the 1DX, i was ONLY looking out for 1 thing..the AF speed. And it wasn't my camera so obviously i could play with it for a longer time.
From the moment you press the shutter to the time you see it flash red…on the 5D3, it takes maybe slightly under 1 sec.
On the 1DX, it's immediate….that's the big difference…1 processor vs 3 processors i guess…that's why i say the 1DX will be great for sports, not that the 5D3 isn't good…it's for a specific target audience that need that AF speed shooting things like the Olympics.the AF speed isn't going to mean anything in general shooting or landscapes etc…you don't need that AF speed..

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 04:20:35 AM »
Like i said when i played with the 1DX, i was ONLY looking out for 1 thing..the AF speed. And it wasn't my camera so obviously i could play with it for a longer time.
From the moment you press the shutter to the time you see it flash red…on the 5D3, it takes maybe slightly under 1 sec.
On the 1DX, it's immediate….that's the big difference…1 processor vs 3 processors i guess…that's why i say the 1DX will be great for sports, not that the 5D3 isn't good…it's for a specific target audience that need that AF speed shooting things like the Olympics.the AF speed isn't going to mean anything in general shooting or landscapes etc…you don't need that AF speed..

This market segment is the one that I hope the 7DII (or whatever it is called) will move into - a budget sports camera.

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »
Cameras are so similar now in feature sets and ability all I really care about is IQ.

It's often forgotten that all you really need is a light source, shutter, aperture and a decent sensor.

Everything else is just dressing. You've really never had it so good.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
In terms of "softness" I had a Mark II for almost three years and now I have two Mark IIIs.  The Mark III is very sharp.  It is sharper than the Mark II and the IQ in terms of color and ISO are superior.  I can't imagine the the 1Dx having a "softness" issue if the Mark IIIs images are extremely sharp.   

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »

Spinwork....I haven't tried the 1dx, BUT, my 5d3 with my 70-200ii focuses IMMEDIATELY...not even .5 second let alone "just under a second"

What lens were you using that took almost a second? 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:17:01 PM by Northstar »
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
In terms of "softness" I had a Mark II for almost three years and now I have two Mark IIIs.  The Mark III is very sharp.  It is sharper than the Mark II and the IQ in terms of color and ISO are superior.  I can't imagine the the 1Dx having a "softness" issue if the Mark IIIs images are extremely sharp.   

Yeah? Could you post a couple of raw's, say of a barcode and small text, I can compare to mine with? because mine is def softer than my 5d2. Serioulsy different.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

Yeah? Could you post a couple of raw's, say of a barcode and small text, I can compare to mine with? because mine is def softer than my 5d2. Serioulsy different.

that would really help. at full resolution please, a RAW file would be perfect if possible

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
Ran some test with the 5d3 vs 5d2 and Lr vs DPP here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6153.15
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
Ran some test with the 5d3 vs 5d2 and Lr vs DPP here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6153.15

Yeah your test really shows that something is wrong with the latest version of LR as the latest dpp provide really sharp image.  I guess the 1dx test image in the original post most not have been processed with dpp here...i would never have thought Adobe was so off and that dpp was good since i ihave stop using dpp over a year ago to swith to LR ...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »

I don't doubt the 5d3 would focus as fast as a 1dx if it had the same amount of battery voltage output. Canon states this fact about the diff with 1d bodies being battery voltage. That's probably why you don't see battery grips work with the 1d series batteries as they would make the focusing equal speed probably. The two smaller batteries do not increase voltage at all.
On another note.

The more i look at settings and test things i find the settings are very specific. Each setting isn't just there to offer diff options, they are literally major changes in how your focus system responds to input. Like spot focus is a bad idea unless you literally are trying to shoot thru something to focus on something else. To be honest if i had owned a 7d like most of the people I hire shoot I would be ahead of the game in understanding how these new settings work in application. I have set out to understand as much as humanly possible about this AF system and as a result have no doubt i will be able to maximize it for many diff shooting situations. While some would like straight forward focus point systems like those who shoot 1D series cameras know you can dial that camera in to the n'th degree to get very specific results, to be able to do that on a 5d is a dream and yet some settings missed leave me wanting but not to the point of needing a 1dx.
While i had my micro adjustment settings set to off, they are on again and in testing using the canon eos utility, i found my 50L needed +3. To be honest this camera in single point focus is beyond stellar now.
the 24L is also +3 but my 70-200L is spot on.
I just realized I hadn't tested the 24-70 but then i have never had issues with that one working on all my bodies.

Here are some of the resources i have been combing that may help you get the results you are looking for.
This one is canons 1dx Af PDF guide which is pretty much almost exact to anything you can do on the 5d3
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml?categoryId=12
for direct download of the PDF
http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC.pdf

These are from the Canon Learning center
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_multiple_af_points.shtml
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/1dx_af_config_article.shtml
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:19:19 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
On my 50D I accidentally turned the in camera sharpening down all the way once and my images looked sooooooooooooooo blurry.  I actually thought my camera broke.

So, I wonder what the in camera sharpening was set to in these because it does make a difference.
I wouldn't be too surprised if this blurry issue is the sharpness being completely neutered in the camera for those pros who want total control over sharpening after the fact, but that is just me speculating without any proof...

I havent tested output with in camera sharpening yet but think i will make a point of it this week.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

that would really help. at full resolution please, a RAW file would be perfect if possible

Yes I can.  If you don't mind can you give me a day or so to get to it.  Here is an image I took at a wedding with my 50mm 1.2 @ 1.2.  The 50mm 1.2 is NOT a sharp lens @ 1.2 and with the 5D2 I could never have gotten anything like this.  Let alone in focus.  I know barcodes and RAW images are important but I can make money off of this image and the 5D3 allows me to do it better than the 5D2.  I am just saying that when it comes to a real world test the 5D3 gives me excellent results time and time again.  In my opinion the 5D3 was made for us wedding photographers and event photographers that need excellent IQ & fast accurate autofocus in difficult fast moving environments.  If I was a landscape photographer or a studio photographer I would buy a different camera.  The focus was on the groom's face.  Perfectly sharp for 1.2 and the best part is that it is in focus which is a lot more than the 5D2 could offer me. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaayres/6983294866/#in/photostream

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
yep...that's very sharp, good one!
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

spinworkxroy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
Quote from: Northstar
Spinwork....I haven't tried the 1dx, BUT, my 5d3 with my 70-200ii focuses IMMEDIATELY...not even .5 second let alone "just under a second"

What lens were you using that took almost a second?

Actually, i've tried it on several lenses on my camera…the slowest being about 1 sec…but even the primes are that fast.
Maybe i could be mistaken abou the 1DX because it had the 28mm IS lens on it and that's a brand new unreleased lens which could be SUPER fast..i wasn't allowed to mount that lens on my camera though :) neither was i allowed to mount my lens on the 1DX so it's not really an exact "test" but definately the 1dx has to be faster.
i've since turned the beep back on my 5D…somehow i find th beep faster than the screen flash red..maybe it's just me…
Just curious..if i take a photo before the screen flashed red, does it mean the photo is out of focus? Because i'm prety sure it focuses BEFORE it flashes red..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »