December 19, 2014, 07:17:50 AM

Author Topic: 1d X field test  (Read 13105 times)

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 1d X field test
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
Pardon the bad lighting and bad video..did this very impromptu..
I decided to capture the focus speed of my 5D3 with a 17-40L..
I tested this same lens with my 60D and somehow the speed is exactly the same as the 60D…i would expect it to be faster no?
Is this a normal speed or is it considered "slow", granted the light is rather low and there seems to be some "hunting" before it focuses..it actually does that even in good light for all my lenses
http://youtu.be/9Jie9M0fEfs

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
Why is there so much stuff in this thread about the 5D (mark II and III)? It is supposed to be about the 1D X.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Why is there so much stuff in this thread about the 5D (mark II and III)? It is supposed to be about the 1D X.

Because we all felt the 1dx sample shown from the original post were really soft!  So we jumped to the spftness issue from the 5dmkiii issue that was discussed before which were mostly driven by the dpp software.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Because we all felt the 1dx sample shown from the original post were really soft!  So we jumped to the spftness issue from the 5dmkiii issue that was discussed before which were mostly driven by the dpp software.

...and apparently, soft RAW conversions is also an issue with LR.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »

I'm so glad the Lr problems have reach the surface and is spread all over now, only way to get the message across. Get it widely known!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

I'm so glad the Lr problems have reach the surface and is spread all over now, only way to get the message across. Get it widely known!

I had no idea this was the case, I just imported a CR2 to DPP and then into Lightroom and exported both at 16 tiffs, the LR Tiff also lacked so much colour, plus the DPP looks sharper, anyone know how I can save over every RAW file in DPP with my small adjustments such as chromatic aberration etc,

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
Pardon the bad lighting and bad video..did this very impromptu..
I decided to capture the focus speed of my 5D3 with a 17-40L..
I tested this same lens with my 60D and somehow the speed is exactly the same as the 60D…i would expect it to be faster no?
Is this a normal speed or is it considered "slow", granted the light is rather low and there seems to be some "hunting" before it focuses..it actually does that even in good light for all my lenses
http://youtu.be/9Jie9M0fEfs
That video tells us nothing, you could be pointing it at a white wall for all we know. AF settings are important too.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »

Bang on!  I would never have doubted that LR was giving bad result and had very naively concluded that something was wrong with the camera somehow.  It will teach me that just because LR support a camera RAW file, it does not mean it actually do it well!   :-[

LR4 gives me great result with the mkii (tried comparing it to dpp again last night for the mkii) but for the mkiii it is a totally different story.  The only sad thing in this (for me at least) is that i hate the workflow in dpp, i dont find you can do as much as with LR, and I also find dpp sucks big time at NR...

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
Now that is ridiculous .... are you telling that moving sharpness sliders is of no help for the 5D3 files?

The default settings are what they are, default. Every camera needs different sharpening + it is also dependant what is on the scene and what is your own perception of sharpness.

At least for my 5D2 LR shines, I also had no problems with available 5D3 RAW files.

Bang on!  I would never have doubted that LR was giving bad result and had very naively concluded that something was wrong with the camera somehow.  It will teach me that just because LR support a camera RAW file, it does not mean it actually do it well!   :-[

LR4 gives me great result with the mkii (tried comparing it to dpp again last night for the mkii) but for the mkiii it is a totally different story.  The only sad thing in this (for me at least) is that i hate the workflow in dpp, i dont find you can do as much as with LR, and I also find dpp sucks big time at NR...

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »
Now that is ridiculous .... are you telling that moving sharpness sliders is of no help for the 5D3 files?

The default settings are what they are, default. Every camera needs different sharpening + it is also dependant what is on the scene and what is your own perception of sharpness.

At least for my 5D2 LR shines, I also had no problems with available 5D3 RAW files.

This has nothing to do with default settings.  LR 4 also gives me perfect result with my mkii.  With the mkiii however is simply does not work that well.  There is a softness compared to the mkii file that is there on all shots, while it is more apparent in some then others.  It is only by comparing into the new version of dpp that you realize how much sharper the mkiii really are.  Again moving the sharpness scale is not what is solving the issue here.  In lightroom there is no way i can make some of those shots sharp unless i open them in dpp.  Adobe simply need to update their raw converter.  If you have some mkiii raw file i invite you to try it for yourself.  The change are not even suttle!

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »

This has nothing to do with default settings.  LR 4 also gives me perfect result with my mkii.  With the mkiii however is simply does not work that well.  There is a softness compared to the mkii file that is there on all shots, while it is more apparent in some then others.  It is only by comparing into the new version of dpp that you realize how much sharper the mkiii really are.  Again moving the sharpness scale is not what is solving the issue here.  In lightroom there is no way i can make some of those shots sharp unless i open them in dpp.  Adobe simply need to update their raw converter.  If you have some mkiii raw file i invite you to try it for yourself.  The change are not even suttle!

+1... Some people act like you can just sharpen more, but that doesn't work, as stated 50 million times already.

What I am concerned about is that Adobe only gets it a tad sharper, and everything else should have been a lot better. Go back to the old price of Lr if that means they can get it right. I have the best lenses and the fantastic 5d3 and shoot raw to get the most out of everything, and when Lr does what it does to the file, I might as well use a 50 1,8 on a 10d shooting jpeg...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Equinox271

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
I pre-ordered mine but it seems Canon will be releasing the 1Dx when the 1Dx Mk II is available.  Canon should reduce the price for those who pre-ordered thinking we would have the camera in March.  Cut the price Canon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »