September 01, 2014, 11:19:00 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...  (Read 33766 times)

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
I also believe that if one start a topic like this one, saying that "The camera does not live to MY expectations" instead of " The camera does not live to the expectations" You might get some different reaction.... Is a little semantic difference, but that way you are not generalizing. You are just expressing your opinion of how the camera fels to you, and not telling everyone that the camera they bought is bad. Which can generate some hard feelings against your opinion..

Of course, the nature of forums, there will be always willing to bash anyone just for the sport  :'(
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

Sallivres

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
I also believe that if one start a topic like this one, saying that "The camera does not live to MY expectations" instead of " The camera does not live to the expectations" You might get some different reaction.... Is a little semantic difference, but that way you are not generalizing.

+1

nitsujwalker

« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »
I also believe that if one start a topic like this one, saying that "The camera does not live to MY expectations" instead of " The camera does not live to the expectations" You might get some different reaction.... Is a little semantic difference, but that way you are not generalizing.

+1

Either way, bashing the OP isn't the answer.  Don't let the insults get to you man.  Faceless internet members are brutal and willing to say things that they wouldn't say in person.   Hopefully you stick around!

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »
Dark...I'm interested in hearing about your next shoot after you've spent some more time with the 5d3.

I can see from your posts that you care about your craft, have experience, and intelligence.  I, and I think most people here, want to hear opinions/thoughts from people like you....good or bad(preferably good)...so we can all learn.

Let us know if some of the feedback helped (I'm sure you're also sifting through the AF section of the manual too)
More importantly, let us know what you learn about the AF ...so we can learn from you. (I know I need all the info/experience I can get with this AF)

thanks,
northstar
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:21:38 PM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
One thing I have learned from living in Asia since I retired from the military is that western people can be abusive for no other reason than just wanting to be abusive.

I've been fortunate to experience many different cultures, and there is some truth to your observations. IMHO, Westerners, and particularly Americans, tend to get overly defensive and interpret simple observations as criticism. That's why there's such a backlash to a thread like yours. Even Brits that visit America will often comment on how thin-skinned their cross-Atlantic counterparts can be at times :) I wouldn't take it too personally.

Not to mention the comment that almost all of you seem to overlook is that I spoke directly with Canon Execs and played with the camera literally three days before the camera's official release and even they told me it wasn't perfected yet.

I'm no expert when it comes to the world of manufacturing cameras, but I don't think a scenario like this is all that uncommon. IMHO, regardless of whether you're launching a new camera, car, phone or TV set, if your deadline is say 3/2/12, you will be working out last minute bugs until 11:59 pm on 3/1/12.

I was on a public relations photo shoot for launch of the brand new 2012 Acura TL last year. I wasn't good enough to be the photog, merely the assistant, but it was an interesting experience nonetheless. In a typical PR shoot like this, a manufacturer will fly a photog in a few days before the car is unveiled to journalists, and have a bunch of PR shots taken for the media outlets to use, since they usually don't bring their own photographers.

The two cars we were shooting were the only two 2012 Acura TLs in America at the time, and as soon as they got off the boat from Japan, they were shipped to our location. The dozen or so TLs that the journalists were supposed to drive in just two days were still in transit. Let's just say pre-production cars like this always have some flaws. The leather doesn't match, the GPS doesn't work, the shock valving might not be perfected, and the engine management calibrations may need further tweaks, just to give you a few examples. Mind you, this is just 1-2 months before the cars are ready to hit the showrooms, and just days before journalists will be picking them apart in their reviews. IMHO, there are a lot more things that can go wrong when designing a car from scratch than when designing a camera. 

Likewise, when I was on the press launch for the '05 Mustang many years ago, Ford mentioned that the cars were not yet emissions certified because they were still working on the engine programming. So they were basically letting journalists review cars that weren't even emissions legal, and Ford only had 1-2 months to fix the problem and get the cars certified by the EPA before their on-sale date. That's a rather major problem to say the least.

Obviously, it would make much more sense to fix all the bugs well before a product launch, but time is money, especially in the corporate world. I'm not making excuses for Canon, but I doubt they're the only company out there that operates like this. Users have reported many teething issues affecting the D800 on the Nikon forums. None of them are major, but they seem far more annoying to be than a silly light leak that everyone is complaining about.

Brymills

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
The 1D iv still costs more than a 5D iii, so is it really a fair comparison?  Test it against the 1D X and see what happens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
i reckon canon tested it before releasing it....  so...

Clearly their testing was insufficient.  They should have taken a lot more shots with the lens cap on and the top LCD illuminated.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bkorcel

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »
Well with a topic such as that, who could resist!

I have been using it for sports, wildlife, low light, astrophotography and oh yes it has lived up to MY expectations.  I fortunately have not experienced ANY of the issues others have reported and it's the serial "1" version.  The AF functions are very overwhelming and to get the best out of the camera you need to experiment with the settings.  For the first week it was hell.  However once I realized the reasons why canon did things the way they did, my shots we're coming out fantastic.

Most importantly...the best thing is in fact the low noise floor at higher ISO's.  This allows for much faster shutter speeds on action shots, particularly wildlife at low light levels.  I pair the 5DIII up with a canon 300mm 2.8L with and without the 1.4X extender and I get great waterfowl flyby's.  Unfortunately the camera still suffers from low contrast AF issues such as when a duck flies in front of similarly colored trees.  None of the bodies will help with that though I suspect if I tinker a bit more with the tracking sensitivities I may be able to get some help in that.  You have to give the camera SOMETHING to work with.

With that issue aside which I dont consider an issue with the 5DIII, the mark III is pretty superior over some of the other models...slight improvement over the Mark II but if I had a Mark II prior, I probobly would not have got the III.  I came up from the 60D which is a fine camera for all around use but needed something more in full frame and extra AF capability for wildlife.

So while some may have high expectations, you need to come back to reality a bit.  Work with tool and take advantage of some of the new capabilities and have a full understandning of how each setting effects the shot.

nitsujwalker

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »

Clearly their testing was insufficient.  They should have taken a lot more shots with the lens cap on and the top LCD illuminated.

HA!!!!  Funny stuff :)

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
I also believe that if one start a topic like this one, saying that "The camera does not live to MY expectations" instead of " The camera does not live to the expectations" You might get some different reaction.... Is a little semantic difference, but that way you are not generalizing. You are just expressing your opinion of how the camera fels to you, and not telling everyone that the camera they bought is bad. Which can generate some hard feelings against your opinion..

Of course, the nature of forums, there will be always willing to bash anyone just for the sport  :'(

Yes you are quite right, perhaps I did overgeneralize the problems I was having with my particular camera. And after trying many different suggestions and tweaks, my camera is STILL not nailing focus, so I'm now thinking that maybe I got a lemon fresh off the assembly line. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be one of the first in line especially when it comes to new technology. I really do appreciate all of the help and advice you guys provided, even if this particular camera ends up being a bust for me. It certainly helps to know more about things like AFMA which I always thought was something you rarely did as it could screw things up more than help. I have discovered through this post that it is something that is regularly done on Canon camera/lens combos. That's one of many valuable and insightful golden nuggets I can now add to my ever growing knowledge base. So thanks guys.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »

Shot with LV... All my shots have the same difference between the 5d2 and 5d3...

If this isn't fixable (and I seriously don't think so) I'm hoping the 1d X doesn't suffer under the same, or else I have just spent all that money downgrading my lenses....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
Without any bashing or being a Canon fan, give Reikan FoCal a try.

AFMA is there for a reason and so that you wouldn't have to (necessarily) send your gear to Canon for focus adjustment. The reason behind all this being of course the tolerances in manufacturing.

With your MkIV and lenses you might have been lucky and the tolerances have been 0/0 or so small that they don't matter within the DOF. You instantly get bigger problems if say your MkIV has been -3 and your lenses (for arguments sake) from +2 to +4, but your MkIII is +4 so the problem is really visible now.

If the focus adjustment is off, there's no setting in the AF- menu that will make your photos sharper.

Just my 0.02$

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »

are you serious?take a lot more shots with the lens cap on what kind of sad S___ is this lol get out there and shoot in the real world not lens caps and charts the whole light leak issue is a non-issue completely blown out of proportion.Get out there and shoot your cameras are fine if you bought a 3000 camera to shoot lens caps then you are all idiots!

briansquibb

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »
If the focus adjustment is off, there's no setting in the AF- menu that will make your photos sharper.

That would be the one in the sharpness setting for each style?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »