October 24, 2014, 09:47:56 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...  (Read 34588 times)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III doesn't live up to expectations in real world shooting...
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
Without any bashing or being a Canon fan, give Reikan FoCal a try.

AFMA is there for a reason and so that you wouldn't have to (necessarily) send your gear to Canon for focus adjustment. The reason behind all this being of course the tolerances in manufacturing.

With your MkIV and lenses you might have been lucky and the tolerances have been 0/0 or so small that they don't matter within the DOF. You instantly get bigger problems if say your MkIV has been -3 and your lenses (for arguments sake) from +2 to +4, but your MkIII is +4 so the problem is really visible now.

If the focus adjustment is off, there's no setting in the AF- menu that will make your photos sharper.

Just my 0.02$

Can people please read the post and see that it is shot in LV=LIVE VIEW!!

I have spent more time with afma then a lot of people put together. I'm getting really annoyed people think that this softness is the users fault. I have seen more examples like mine showing the same exact thing.

I have never been lucky with my lenses, check out which lenses I own, and I can assure you that NONE of them have EVER been at 0 setting and worked.

I'm not a n00b.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:05:13 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »

AFMA is there for a reason and so that you wouldn't have to (necessarily) send your gear to Canon for focus adjustment. The reason behind all this being of course the tolerances in manufacturing.

With your MkIV and lenses you might have been lucky and the tolerances have been 0/0 or so small that they don't matter within the DOF. You instantly get bigger problems if say your MkIV has been -3 and your lenses (for arguments sake) from +2 to +4, but your MkIII is +4 so the problem is really visible now.

If the focus adjustment is off, there's no setting in the AF- menu that will make your photos sharper.

Just my 0.02$

Can people please read the post in see that it is shot in LV=LIVE VIEW!!

I have spent more time with afma then a lot of people put together. I'm getting really annoyed people think that this softness is the users fault. I have seen more examples like mine showing the same exact thing.

I have never been lucky with my lenses, check out which lenses I own, and I can assure you that NONE of them have EVER been at 0 setting and worked.

I'm not a n00b.

Sorry Viggo, but this answer wasn't for you, but for the OP.

I just had to post it after yours because you were faster :)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »

Just my 0.02$

I'm not a n00b.

Okay, I'm sorry for taking it out on you then. I'm just pi$$ed that Canon screwed up and it's only me and a few other guys who seem to realize this isn't about the user, and however hard it is to believe, it is the camera and it has never been like that with another Canon, ever.... This reminds me of the 1d3 AF.....

The 5d3 is a spectacular camera, and I have been very excited about it long before buying it, and also very happy test shooting, but the softness really gets in the way of overly excitment and joy from using the camera.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

japhoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Japhoto blog
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »

Just my 0.02$

I'm not a n00b.

Okay, I'm sorry for taking it out on you then. I'm just pi$$ed that Canon screwed up and it's only me and a few other guys who seem to realize this isn't about the user, and however hard it is to believe, it is the camera and it has never been like that with another Canon, ever.... This reminds me of the 1d3 AF.....

The 5d3 is a spectacular camera, and I have been very excited about it long before buying it, and also very happy test shooting, but the softness really gets in the way of overly excitment and joy from using the camera.

No problem, but regarding your issue, you shot both of those photos with live-view and manual focus using 10x magnification?

If that's the issue, then it's not the AF-system at all. Either there's something wrong (maybe on just part of the cameras) or MkIII has a stronger AA filter (don't know if this is the case).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
i reckon canon tested it before releasing it....  so...

Clearly their testing was insufficient.  They should have taken a lot more shots with the lens cap on and the top LCD illuminated.
are you serious?take a lot more shots with the lens cap on what kind of sad S___ is this lol get out there and shoot in the real world not lens caps and charts the whole light leak issue is a non-issue completely blown out of proportion.Get out there and shoot your cameras are fine if you bought a 3000 camera to shoot lens caps then you are all idiots!

Seriously?  We've locked horns what, half a dozen times, and you still can't tell when I'm being sarcastic?   :o

Apparently, I need to use <sarcasm> tags on about 30% of my posts, just to make it obvious...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
If that's the issue, then it's not the AF-system at all. Either there's something wrong (maybe on just part of the cameras) or MkIII has a stronger AA filter (don't know if this is the case).

Canon has touted the reduced video moiré of the 5DIII, compared to the 5DII.  IMO, the technically easiest way for them to accomplish that reduction is a stronger AA filter.

@bornshooter - that's not sarcasm, just FYI.

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
So can you make good prints?? It's AMAZING how anal photographers are!
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
A common problem with shooters complaining of soft images is the AI servo 1st and 2nd image priority setting. Set it to Focus priority always!

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »

Clearly their testing was insufficient.  They should have taken a lot more shots with the lens cap on and the top LCD illuminated.
are you serious?take a lot more shots with the lens cap on what kind of sad S___ is this lol get out there and shoot in the real world not lens caps and charts the whole light leak issue is a non-issue completely blown out of proportion.Get out there and shoot your cameras are fine if you bought a 3000 camera to shoot lens caps then you are all idiots!

Seriously?  We've locked horns what, half a dozen times, and you still can't tell when I'm being sarcastic?   :o

Apparently, I need to use <sarcasm> tags on about 30% of my posts, just to make it obvious...

Listen, I'm dead serious here.  Leave bornshooter alone and stop picking on him...  he can't help the way he is.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »

Canon has touted the reduced video moiré of the 5DIII, compared to the 5DII.  IMO, the technically easiest way for them to accomplish that reduction is a stronger AA filter.

@bornshooter - that's not sarcasm, just FYI.

Whew... I have to thank you neuro.  I'm so glad you (and therefore I) decided on the 1DX instead of the 5D3. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Listen, I'm dead serious here.  Leave bornshooter alone and stop picking on him...  he can't help the way he is.

Was that <sarcasm>, I honestly can't tell....   ::)

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
Vigo, try another copy of a 5D3 with the same lens and try another lens with two different 5D3s if you can. LV again. Post the results please. Up till now I can't tell a difference between  mark 2 and 3. I'll do the same as you did and give you feedback.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »

Whew... I have to thank you neuro.  I'm so glad you (and therefore I) decided on the 1DX instead of the 5D3.

Well, Canon has made the same 'reduced moiré' statement about the 1D X. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
 reduced from what, the 1dmk4 or? really, you know they would love to leave that out. Then they get a free pass to say anything they want.

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

I'm still kinda new here, but I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...  ;) 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »