October 23, 2014, 08:49:36 AM

Poll

what's the #1 thing you'd like the Magic Lantern hack to accomplish?

increase frame rate on 1080p, at least 40fps!
15 (24.6%)
give us a clean HDMI out
11 (18%)
give us a better compression choice, like Mpeg or Pro Res, like the 1D-C.
17 (27.9%)
crop mode
8 (13.1%)
autopilot mode, you dont even have to take the pictures, just put it on a tripod and walk away :)
10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: June 26, 2012, 12:11:32 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Magic Lantern wish list poll  (Read 8933 times)

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
5D Mark III Magic Lantern wish list poll
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
ok, i couldnt think of anything else id want for option 5, but all of the rest would be nice.
i think they are all possible, very possible.
thank you to the guys at Magic Lantern!!!
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Magic Lantern wish list poll
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Magic Lantern wish list poll
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
A donation to their cause might grease the wheels!

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
If they can improve the in-camera sharpening algorithm so it looks closer to post-sharpened footage but without the compression artifacts and/or increase the bitrate for ALL-I that would be incredible.  Beyond that, focus peaking and zebras would be really nice.  I don't think I'd use any of the other features.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
If they can improve the in-camera sharpening algorithm so it looks closer to post-sharpened footage but without the compression artifacts and/or increase the bitrate for ALL-I that would be incredible.  Beyond that, focus peaking and zebras would be really nice.  I don't think I'd use any of the other features.

I have to say even the IPB code grades incredibly well compared to 5DII footage, I wa very happy with the results. 

I'd like to see crop mode, uncompressed HDMI and better framerates at 1080 for sure.  With 17x the processing power of the 5d2 it seems like Canon has to be intentionally limiting the 5D3 or sure.  I'm excited either way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:54:59 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
Is it true that a camera like the 5D3 can't do 4:4:4 color because the Bayer sensor is set-up as 4:2:2?

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:56:25 PM »
Is it true that a camera like the 5D3 can't do 4:4:4 color because the Bayer sensor is set-up as 4:2:2?

Almost certainly false. The sensor is 22MP and all it needs for video is 2MP...there are plenty of photocells to do whatever one wants with.

People (and I'm citing you as a victim of this, not a culprit) troll around on these boards spewing nonsense about demosaicing and anti-aliasing and OLPF's and the like proving nothing more than "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." We need an actual authority on camera technology to do a full exposition of what is going on in the camera, but sadly those people rarely post anything like that, because they are usually paid as consultants to the companies making this stuff and don't want to bite the hands that feed them. Canon themselves will just tell you to buy the C300, and if that's not enough for you, the C500.

As for ML, I would just like to see if they can improve the delivered resolution and frame rate control a bit, otherwise the stuff they have already done like peaking and zebras will be a great help thanks.

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »
^ just to be clear, i wasn't subverted by someone else's posting, i came up with that lunacy on my own.  But I agree with the spirit of your post.

I know that the camera is 22 MP, but the Bayer pattern is set up at a 4:2:2 ratio, which that means that their are effectively 11 M Green photosites, 5.5M red and 5.5 M Blue. 

If they are alternating lines still, then there just isn't enough information for them to end up with a full HD picture using equal ratios of color information without interpolation. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:47:19 AM »

WarStreet

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »
focus peaking

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:48:53 AM »

I know that the camera is 22 MP, but the Bayer pattern is set up at a 4:2:2 ratio, which that means that their are effectively 11 M Green photosites, 5.5M red and 5.5 M Blue. 

If they are alternating lines still, then there just isn't enough information for them to end up with a full HD picture using equal ratios of color information without interpolation.

When expressing chroma subsampling ratios the 4:2:2 doesn't refer to primary colours as G:R:B, it's Y:Cb:Cr which refers to Luminance (Y) and two colour difference components Blue Difference (Cb) and Red difference (Cr)

daveswan

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
Just set it up so the wretched thing outputs somewhere near true 1080p resolution.

A 150mbps CBR I-Frame codec would be nice.

A full raster de-moseic of the sensor would certainly give 4:4:4 colour sampling (Not colour *space*, that's something different) as there's plenty of pixels for downsampling

ers811

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
I'll go a little outside the box here and say my wish list is:

1. Finish ML Unified for 5D2
2. Everything else

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
ok, i couldnt think of anything else id want for option 5, but all of the rest would be nice.

The thing is it is NOT magic.

How are they going to encode, in real time, in all those alternate formats if the camera doesn't have a real time encoder chip for them? (OK, it might be possible if they use a more general purpose encoding DSP that simple has some of the functions encoding needs and it is still mostly programmed in software and not hardware/firmware, I thought the previous ones at least, simply used dedicated, h.264 specific encoding chip I could be mistaken though).

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »
I'd love to see crop mode.

1. I'm suspicious the FF 1920x1080p looks a bit soft because the 3x3 blocking from a Bayer sensor doesn't match the scale of the built-in AA filter so they probably have to do some sort of extra smoothing to avoid aliasing. If they made a 2x2 blocking of the type the C300 uses which would give 1920x1080 from about a 1.6x APS-C crop region that blocking would be closer to the native AA filter scale and you might be able to get away without smoothing/blurring and you might a sharper looking 1920x1080 that is still artifact free (maybe just a trace more aliased, but still moire free).

2. For wildlife and other distant object photography crop mode sure as heck helps. 1920x1080 is pretty lo-res when it comes down to it and you jsut don't have much anything to work with using digital zoom on captured footage so a true 1.6x crop mode at 1920x1080 would put a full TC's worth more detail onto everything and maybe even more than that if my point 1 guess is correct.

The only thing is was Canon so short-sighted that they didn't bother designed the sensor with the ability to do non-skipped 2x2 C300-like sampling?? I sure hope not. But they have been amazingly blind before (witness the absurdity of thinking it made sense to release the 5D2 without manual video control, etc.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »

option 5 is easy all the necessary basics such as:
focus peaking
zebra stripes
allowance for more bps for compression and locking all-i to CBR

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
When expressing chroma subsampling ratios the 4:2:2 doesn't refer to primary colours as G:R:B, it's Y:Cb:Cr which refers to Luminance (Y) and two colour difference components Blue Difference (Cb) and Red difference (Cr)

I think that they are one in the same (G:R:B and Y:Cb:Cr) in this application, but I'm not certain.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »