November 27, 2014, 06:59:36 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 HDR photos handheld in NYC  (Read 5074 times)

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
5D3 HDR photos handheld in NYC
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
Playing with the built in HDR feature.  All shots were handheld, but I was anchored to something solid.  Used the in-camera jpeg HDR +-3EV processing and mild touch ups in LR4.1
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:53:42 PM by roumin »

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 HDR photos handheld in NYC
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »

thewallbanger

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 HDR photos handheld in NYC
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
I played around with the HDR mode myself, and concluded that many of the images were appearing "overprocessed", even on the natural setting.  Also, the camera tries it's hardest to auto-align images, but if any object has physically moved in the frame (eg. a taxi) there's going to be very noticable artifacts.
5D Mark III   |  11-16  |  35L  |  24-70L  |  85 f1.8  |  70-200 f4 IS

Jettatore

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
Does 5D3 HDR mode have anything, that if on a tri-pod, it will not only take a bracketed exposure, but also auto focus at different distances and take a bracketed exposure at each distance to set up a shot that has full focus detail throughout the image or allows for adjustable re-focusing in editing.

I suspect that it doesn't, but hope it's something they could add into firmware, it really doesn't seem that complicated.  There are some engineers on Canon-Rumors forums, maybe they could chime in?

Nice pictures of the skyscape btw.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Does 5D3 HDR mode have anything, that if on a tri-pod, it will not only take a bracketed exposure, but also auto focus at different distances and take a bracketed exposure at each distance to set up a shot that has full focus detail throughout the image or allows for adjustable re-focusing in editing.

I suspect that it doesn't, but hope it's something they could add into firmware, it really doesn't seem that complicated.  There are some engineers on Canon-Rumors forums, maybe they could chime in?

Your talking about focus stacking right?  Few computer softwares can do that seamlessly let alone the camera. Just HDR. Nice job roumin. Nicely done
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
The pictures are very nice.  I just find something artificial a little in the overall colors.  Not sure if you meant it like that or simply the result of in camera hdr...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

tasteofjace

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »
I love the HDR mode. I shoot lots of indoor tours for Real Estate companies, and the HDR mode allows me to get awesome shots, and saves me TONS of time in post. Couldn't be happier with it.

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The first image has sharpening, contrast, clarity and vibrance applied to it.  The other two are pure out of the camera with no post processing.  i believe the HDR mode was natural for the first one and Art for 2 and 3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The first image has sharpening, contrast, clarity and vibrance applied to it.  The other two are pure out of the camera with no post processing.  i believe the HDR mode was natural for the first one and Art for 2 and 3.

That make sense then.  I much prefer the natural mode then - personal preference of course  ;)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

seekn

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:44 AM »
I agree- I tried the HDR mode and it does seem a little over processed.  I did my own HDR vs. in camera HDR and of course my own looked alot more "natural".  However most people tend to overprocess their HDRs anyway so I am sure that most will be thrilled with it.  I like to do it on my own if I do shoot an HDR ..BUT in a pinch, like my european trip coming up, I will definitely try a few handheld in camera HDRs because you do not always have a chance to use a tripod - so it is still a nice little feature.  I definitely dont need it and wish Canon has invested more in other areas maybe, but since I do have it I will definitely use it.

Jettatore

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Your talking about focus stacking right?  Few computer softwares can do that seamlessly let alone the camera. Just HDR. Nice job roumin. Nicely done

Yes, focus stacking.  I don't care if the camera puts the pictures together or not, my cameras can do bracketed exposure but don't put them together automatically.  I just want them to automate the focusing and snapping based on settings.

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
For me, the best use of the HDR mode will be to quickly and easily get the brackets and see a not-bad preview. When I get back to the studio, the camera-generated HDR JPEG will instantly be forgotten, but it'll be a welcome thing to have in the field.

Jettatore, I believe Magic Lantern will automate focus stacking. However, for most macro work, focus stacking generally needs to be done with a rail and not by focussing the lens. I'm sure you could build (or maybe buy?) a rig to automate that, but, as they say, that's left as an exercise for the reader....

b&

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »

Yes, focus stacking.  I don't care if the camera puts the pictures together or not, my cameras can do bracketed exposure but don't put them together automatically.  I just want them to automate the focusing and snapping based on settings.

I dont think you would want the camera to automate focus stacking, BUT, i do it all the time... i usually go into live view, focus, take picture, refocus, take picture, refocus, take photo, rinse repeat... I can refocus and retake photos as much as the scene needs...  Takes me all of 5 seconds a picture (on tripod that is). 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Jettatore

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Sounds reasonable, thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
I love the HDR mode. I shoot lots of indoor tours for Real Estate companies, and the HDR mode allows me to get awesome shots, and saves me TONS of time in post. Couldn't be happier with it.

I hope you didnt take shots of Lodges in the smokies... some of them make the eyes bleed... and I like HDR btw  ;)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

I dont think you would want the camera to automate focus stacking, BUT, i do it all the time... i usually go into live view, focus, take picture, refocus, take picture, refocus, take photo, rinse repeat... I can refocus and retake photos as much as the scene needs...  Takes me all of 5 seconds a picture (on tripod that is).

Much more challenging in the macro world...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »