September 30, 2014, 08:20:50 PM

Author Topic: Lens advice moving to FF  (Read 1208 times)

digiitch

Lens advice moving to FF
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
Over the last 8+ years, I've gone from the original Digital Rebel to 20D, 40D and 7D.  I've always dreamed of having a FF body and now have decided to pull the trigger on the 5D Mk III.  I've bought and sold lenses over the years and have what I believe is an excellent kit for my needs right now: 10-22, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8L II, 35/1.4L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8

The only lens that won't work with the new 5D (once it gets here, if it ever does), is the 10-22.  I love that lens, but I'm now pondering what to replace it with, if anything.  The 24mm of the 24-105 on FF will actually be equivalent to the mid-range of the 10-22 on the 7D.  If I do decide to buy something to replace the 10-22, my options would be 16-35/2.8L or the 17-40/4L.  However, I'm not sure if either is worth the price considering the overlap with the 24-105.  I shoot all kinds of material, and don't have a specific niche that I'm looking for, but the wide angle zoom would be used for landscapes, architecture and general walk around lens when I feel the need for the wider side of life (as opposed to the 24-105 which is typically my walk around lens of choice).  On the other hand, perhaps I should not buy a new lens, stick with 24mm on the wide end and instead spend some money on an extender (since I won't have the reach I had with the 7D).

I'm just looking for people's thoughts who may have been through similar decision process.

Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Lens advice moving to FF
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

NWPhil

• EOS M2
  • one eye; one shot - multiple misses
    • View Profile
Re: Lens advice moving to FF
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
If you want UWA as you have with the 10-22mm, you need to go all way back to the 16m-14mm range. The 10-22 in paper is equivalent to a 16mm in FF but in reality, the view angle is wider than 16mm on a FF.
With that in mind, the next decision would be Prime or Zoom.

Till the day Canon decides to make a 12-24mm, you only can get the 8-15, the 16-35 or the 17-40 in the Canon brand.
As primes, you may want to look at Rokinon 14mm, but I advise to buy it new, from a dealer.

Other option would be keep 7D, and get a 5Dmk2 instead. That way you still can look for a UWA prime outside Canon brand, which seems that is what you are missing in your line-up.
The Ts-e 17, ef14mmII and even the Zeiss 18mm are great options, but I am sure others can suggest a few more.

IMHO, if you don't do movies and need high iso and higher frame rate with tons of megapixels ( pretty much covered with the 7D), the 5Dc could be a great deal too. It would allow you to reach the 14 or ts-e 17 without blowing your budget, and still is a pretty good camera for landscapes and architecture.
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
Get the 5DIII, experiment with it, and then determine what your next move should be, whether it should be an extender or a UWA lens.  It makes even more sense since you already have the 7D and the 10-22.  If you're wiling to carry two bodies, then using the 10-22 that you already have seems like the best way to go. 

Another point is that you will use all your lenses differently when you move to FF.  24mm is more useful than the 17mm of a typical APS-C midrange zoom.  I recently moved to FF, and I found 24mm to be wide enough most of the time.  For an general walk-around UWA lens, the 16-35L is great.  f/2.8 and it covers a useful range, but it's about twice the price of the 10-22mm.  It takes filters and can be used in low light.  If you're serious about architecture and landscape, then the TS-E 17mm might make sense, but it is not a walk-around lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
I use a now out of production 17mm Tokina f/3.5 Prime with my 5D MK II/MK III and prefer it to my Canon 17-40mmL which I sold.  They can be had fairly cheaply, and like all Tokina lenses are very well built.  Its my only Non Canon lens out of 14.

digiitch

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks for all of this feedback and advice.  I'm contemplating whether I'll keep or sell my 7D.  At first I had planned to sell it and the 10-22, but now I think I'll hold on to it for a while and see.  That will give me time to evaluate how I use the lenses with the 5DIII.  I like all the suggestions and so I'll have some fun evaluating which route to go before (or if) I dump the 7D.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »
I'm contemplating whether I'll keep or sell my 7D.  At first I had planned to sell it and the 10-22, but now I think I'll hold on to it for a while and see.  That will give me time to evaluate how I use the lenses with the 5DIII.

When I added the 5DII to my kit, I kept my 7D.  I found that preferred the better IQ of the 5DII in almost all situations, and I soon sold my 10-22mm and bought the 16-35mm f/2.8L II - I've been quite happy with the L-series UWA zoom, and the f/2.8 has come in handy for evening walkarounds (at night, I use the 35mm f/1.4L). 

I do still have the 7D, and plan on keeping it after getting the 1D X, too.  The APS-C sensor is essentially an aberration-free 1.6x extender - in situations where I'm focal length-limited (400mm and still need to crop), the 7D gives better results.  I'll likely hang onto the 7D until I have a 500/4 II and 1.4x III to use with FF.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »