October 24, 2014, 11:34:03 AM

Author Topic: 5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda  (Read 26764 times)

Gothmoth

5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
both tests are interesting i think.
as a guy who always goes for best image quality the D800 looks incredible.
im not so much a high iso shooter.

i have to give it to sony... the sensor is fantastic!
the 5D MK2 was a game changer in video.. the D800 is nearly as impressive for stills i think.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/

There is no question that the D800 does not disappoint in signal to noise ratio (SNR) at low ISO and has higher dynamic range. I'm still shocked by the differences.

I know this is disappointing for Canon shooters but on the bright side, there is a workaround if you shoot RAW. Start by overexposing (up to 1 stop) above the correct exposure before taking your shot and then normalize the exposure later in software. This gives you the correct exposure but the shadow detail is much cleaner, just in case you need to push it a stop or two. Alternatively you could use ISO L (50) for low contrast situations whenever lighting and wind conditions allow. However, make sure that there is no clipping in the highlights (blinkies) because essentially when you are using ISO 50, you are already compromising highlight detail by about one stop. I've used this workaround for many years and have been happy with the results.

In regards to the Nikon D800 handing of noise in the shadow areas, I have to say it's nothing short of amazing! Kudos to Sony and Nikon for the new sensor partnership. The Exmor sensor is exceptional and there is so much detail in the shadows. I can push the shadows more than 4 stops without any hint of color noise. WOW! Let's just say the D800 sensor is a breakthrough in sensor technology.

here are some more examples of what the D800 can do.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800__e_initial_impressions.shtml

canon has to move into faster gear and work on it´s sensors.
low iso quality is as important as high iso quality.

i have not thought it.. but i will not deny it.... i realy like the D800 for it´s image quality.

that said, privatly i will stay with canon.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:05:54 AM by Gothmoth »

canon rumors FORUM

5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 5D MK3 vs. D800 - fredmiranda
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
both tests are interesting i think.
as a guy who always goes for best image quality the D800 looks incredible.
im not so much a low light shooter.

i have to give it to sony... the sensor is fantastic!
the 5D MK2 was a game changer in video.. the D800 is nearly as impressive for stills i think.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/

There is no question that the D800 does not disappoint in signal to noise ratio (SNR) at low ISO and has higher dynamic range. I'm still shocked by the differences.

I know this is disappointing for Canon shooters but on the bright side, there is a workaround if you shoot RAW. Start by overexposing (up to 1 stop) above the correct exposure before taking your shot and then normalize the exposure later in software. This gives you the correct exposure but the shadow detail is much cleaner, just in case you need to push it a stop or two. Alternatively you could use ISO L (50) for low contrast situations whenever lighting and wind conditions allow. However, make sure that there is no clipping in the highlights (blinkies) because essentially when you are using ISO 50, you are already compromising highlight detail by about one stop. I've used this workaround for many years and have been happy with the results.

In regards to the Nikon D800 handing of noise in the shadow areas, I have to say it's nothing short of amazing! Kudos to Sony and Nikon for the new sensor partnership. The Exmor sensor is exceptional and there is so much detail in the shadows. I can push the shadows more than 4 stops without any hint of color noise. WOW! Let's just say the D800 sensor is a breakthrough in sensor technology.

here are some more examples of what the D800 can do.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon_d800__e_initial_impressions.shtml

canon has to move into faster gear and work on it´s sensors.
low iso quality is as important as high iso quality.

i have not thought it.. but i will not deny it.... i realy like the D800 for it´s image quality.

that said, privatly i will stay with canon.

Not enough to make you cross over though? ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

briansquibb

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
I have one coming, and I do low light photography, but not at huge print sizes.  I'm keeping my Canon lenses, but i'd like to find out just how good the images are.  i've never been happy with my landscape photography, so I'll give it a try.

If I don't like it, I can always sell it, likely for more than it cost.

Gothmoth

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »
Not enough to make you cross over though? ;)

i have the luck that i sell them both.
but for private use im a canon guy since my childhood.

so i hope canon will release something as impressive for low iso.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
From that review, it is this page:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

That is most interesting. Why?

Because about half way down, they take the same shot from the D800/5D3 and 100% crop of the shadows.

The image from the Canon sensor is as noisy as all hell (splotchy? banded?) whereas the Nikon one is noise free. That tells me that Canon still haven't fixed the noise issues that were integral with the 5D2.

That's now got me working out whether I can fit a D800E plus lenses into my budget because it just miles ahead of anything that Canon is doing or can demonstrate. The only thing that will dissuade me from expanding my camera and lens portfolio is if the 1DX is clean with similar treatment as that would mean that Canon does have the technology required and that they just haven't applied it to the 5D3's sensor.

That photo, of the lack of shadow noise from the D800 is all that I need to see to know how good the D800 sensor is. I don't need to look at any DxO charts or anything else. Time to add a D800E, shutter release and pair of lenses to my kit and forget about my Canon stuff because the D800 simply is that much better.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
We have all seen how well the d800 handles shadow detail, and I am impressed. I just wonder is it done at the expense of high lights? Has anyone done any comparisons in that area? I do a lot of landscapes and was considering the new 5d, but at 500 less and the price of a great zoom for a d800 i have much to think about!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:23:52 PM by cpsico »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »
We have all seen how well the d800 handles shadow detail, and I am impressed. I just wonder is it done at the expense of high lights? Has anyone done any comparisons in that area? I do a lot of landscapes and was considering the new 5d, but at 500 less and the price of a great zoom for a d800 i have much to think about!!

You should ask that sort of question about the D800 over on the luminous-landscape.com forums.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
 i was shooting a commercial on a lit stage with the epic, but i brought my 5Dmk3 to do some tests, there happen to be a stills guy doing behind the scenes photos with a d800, so at lunch we put them to the test.
so, two things; honestly, no one could tell the difference btwn the pictures, we brought them up on true waveform monitors and probably the most expensive monitors that youd ever view anything on...we took a poll, no one could tell the difference of the final results. neither could i.
though there was one thing that did occur that was huge for me, when shooting the tests, we had to slow down the nikons shutter to 1/200th to get the exact same stop as the 5Dmk3 at a shutter speed of 1/500th.
but again the final result was indistinguishable.
5D MKIII

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
Dammit, so that means I cannot take good photos now?

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
Dammit, so that means I cannot take good photos now?

No, it just means that if you took the same photo as someone else with a D800 using ISO 100-400 that the D800 image would always be better.

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
Yes, I always push my shadows 5 stops so that would really be noticeable.

azizjhn

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
Hi guys it is just products no need to be loyal to any one of them because they always loyal to your money, beside this is the best thing in competition so every company will fight to provide the best product for us the consumers.

Second thing we should not care about sensor, processor, web site reviews, Etc...
It is not about technology it is about the final result you get from your camera is it good for you or not. Doesn't matter what is better at what, you can just take what you need or what is more valuable for you.

Sorry my English is not very good cause it's not my native language.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
Yes, I always push my shadows 5 stops so that would really be noticeable.

sorry but you react like stupid fanboy.

the fact that you can push the shadows 4-5 stops does not mean you have to.
but it´s fantastic that you can do it.

only a fanboy or blind can be unimpressed by the sony sensor at low iso.

seeing the results from fredmiranda and LL  i have to say the D800 has an incredible sensor.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/t/canon-mk3-2b.jpg

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/t/nikon2b.jpg

with 36 MP... and that shadow noise.. just WOW.
something i would not have believed 3 month ago.

canon can have all video improvements in the world.. i care about image quality.
for landscape or studio i also don´t care much about AF performance.

in fact i would be 100% fine with the 5D MK2 and just a sensor like the D800.
it doesn´t need to be 36 MP for me. but with that perfromance.. i can only say ..why not?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:46:23 PM by Canon-F1 »

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »

You should ask that sort of question about the D800 over on the luminous-landscape.com forums.
With all the know it all's in this forum surely some one must know with out having to go to another forum

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »