July 26, 2014, 03:44:47 PM

Author Topic: 5d3 not soft anymore?  (Read 16681 times)

wshinji

Re: 5d3 not soft anymore?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »
I have no clue if I did this correctly....

I opened the same .CR2 raw file in both LR4 RC2 and DPP. File of course taken with a 5D3. Both zoomed in at 100% and just compared the 2 images side by size.

Exactly the same raw file but they look different when opened in each application. From sharpness and color!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »

RJSY

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »
@wshinji...... yes, the difference in the way LR and DPP "process" the raw files is evident upon opening the file..... unbelievable huh????.....

AndreeOnline

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:06 AM »
While the difference seems huge in your comparison, I wouldn't read too much into it.

You could make any number of changes in Lightroom and then save that as 'default' for your mkIII. You can even make per ISO default settings.

We must assume that the DPP default has already been tweaked to some extent to be a good fit for mkIII.

There is also the question of picture styles: what was used as the "default" in your Lightroom shot?

Now, what WOULD concern me is: after having hand developed both images in each software, optimizing them, if there's STILL a big difference in detail/sharpness... that would be an issue.

wshinji

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »
The difference is pretty big and in my situation what concerns me the most is that I didnt have any issues or worries with my 7D from the moment i Purchased it till this day.

5D3 is giving me trouble in the sense that i'm not completely happy. Still boils back down to me still wishing I have a camera like the 7D with upgraded features but $3600 later im still feeling empty.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
The DPP file already bumped the sharpness to 4 based on the picture style you had selected when shooting.

cps_user

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »
indeed. After import, Lr files are rather 'flat'.

wshinji

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »
Picture style when the image was shot on the day was set to Landscape thats why DPP says its +4 sharpness...

I made no changes in either LR4 or DPP, just opened RAW file in each and put them side by side.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
That simply means that DPP has already made some adjustments to the base file to match the picture style.
LR does not do that by default or at least I don't remember since I think I set up mine to open the flat, zeroed files.
The point being is that from what I tested, the base file looks pretty much the same in both LR and DPP.
What's left to determine though is whether DPPs NR and sharpening algorithms are better than LR. I haven't done any extensive tests on that yet but from quickly mucking around I did see that DPP does somewhat of a better job in lifting the shadows and eliminating color noise.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
I have no clue if I did this correctly....

I opened the same .CR2 raw file in both LR4 RC2 and DPP. File of course taken with a 5D3. Both zoomed in at 100% and just compared the 2 images side by size.

Exactly the same raw file but they look different when opened in each application. From sharpness and color!

I did a similar test yesterday and came to similar but disturbing conclusion.  I first did the raw comparison like you did and knowing the initial raw treatment can be different i tried to play with the LR file to see if i could make it as sharp as the dpp file after the fact.  I could never match the sharpness look and feel of the dpp version.  I then decided to create a tiff file from both system after optimizing the setting like i always do and trying to get the most out of the picture.

Again the tiff from dpp was much sharper!?!? Wtf!?!?

Sorry i dont have sample here to post but i did notice this difference seem to be even greater at higher iso.  While i think Lr is much better at NR then dpp, maybe that process on high iso file bring some form of softness as well, in comparison to the NR process from the dpp software.

Even leaving the files flat, shooting in neutral picture style and applying no adjustment to the files, the conclusion was that the dpp was sharaper, just like wshinji file here...

I even downloaded the RC version 2 update for lr4 and i get the same result...

??? ??? ???
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I appriciate the serious answers most of you give. I know how to use this camera, and I feel I never get that same crazy good sharpness I did from the mk2. Sure all my images are properly focused now, not 4 out of ten at best. But the one's that did stick on the 5d2 always put a huge smile on my face, but now it is absolutely lacking, and I don't really feel they're sharp even if I do pull harder in the sharpening in Lr.

I certainly hope this will be adressed by someone that has something to say in this business.

Viggo:  LR sharpening is one of the weaker tools for sharpening. Even CS5 is better, but the one I like most is Topaz Detail. It can really sharpen, not just create halos or squiggly lines like LR/CS.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
Thanks guys, I appriciate the serious answers most of you give. I know how to use this camera, and I feel I never get that same crazy good sharpness I did from the mk2. Sure all my images are properly focused now, not 4 out of ten at best. But the one's that did stick on the 5d2 always put a huge smile on my face, but now it is absolutely lacking, and I don't really feel they're sharp even if I do pull harder in the sharpening in Lr.

I certainly hope this will be adressed by someone that has something to say in this business.

Viggo:  LR sharpening is one of the weaker tools for sharpening. Even CS5 is better, but the one I like most is Topaz Detail. It can really sharpen, not just create halos or squiggly lines like LR/CS.

Not familliar with that, is that a plug-in for Lr and/or CS or a stand alone? I need all my tool sin one program. Lr has been great up until now.

Anyone care to guess when Adobe fixes the Lr/5d3 issues? Will it be a week or three months? (My raws are stacking up ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »

Not familliar with that, is that a plug-in for Lr and/or CS or a stand alone? I need all my tool sin one program. Lr has been great up until now.

Anyone care to guess when Adobe fixes the Lr/5d3 issues? Will it be a week or three months? (My raws are stacking up ;D

I use Topaz detail as a CS5 plug in.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

I use Topaz detail as a CS5 plug in.

Thanks!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »