October 24, 2014, 07:25:47 AM

Author Topic: Best technique for Micro Focus Ajustment  (Read 4406 times)

alew3

Best technique for Micro Focus Ajustment
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
I've done some searching on how to MFA, but I'm not sure which one to use. I have a 5D MkII

Can anyone point me to the best way?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:34:25 PM by alew3 »

canon rumors FORUM

Best technique for Micro Focus Ajustment
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Best technique for Micro Focus Ajustment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
It sounds to me like reikan foCal is the way to go, but you need windows (mac os not yet released). I haven't used it yet, but will as soon as the mac version comes out. I've seen many good reviews on this product.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
Here's a write up I previously did on AFMA:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/AF-Microadjustment-Tips.aspx

Currently, I use and recommend FoCal.  I'm running it on my Mac via a Windows virtual machine.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

alew3

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
thanks! I'll try it out, I also have a mac, so will run a windows virtual machine!

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »
Nice write up, does the windows virtual machine require purchasing a windows os and running it on something like parallels? I am new to macs and am just trying to figure it's os out, so i haven't looked into integrating the windows on it (but i got a parallels program for free from b&h when i purchased the computer).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Yes, to run Windows in Parallels, VMware, or 'natively' via BootCamp requires a Windows license.  I believe I read in a post that FoCal runs under CrossOver (free, no Win license needed), but my recollection might be wrong.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »
I'm running Windows via VMware Fusion on my Macbook Pro and i am using FoCal by Reikan on my 5D3.
It's not fully automated but it's just a little intervention on my part for the tests..
It works well, and the difference is there if you have a lens that needs adjustment.
On my lenses, i found that my primes needed alot more adjustments thn my zooms…don't know why…but the difference it made in the primes were quite large…not so on the zooms…maybe it's because of the sharpness between zooms vs primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
I really like the "Moire computer screen" method.  It's free, fast, and accurate!

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
I have used this method for all my L lenses http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html It's an accurate method and it is free

ideaworx

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • fishing x photography
    • View Profile
    • SaltHD
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
FoCal did well for me
5DM3 x Some Lenses

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51:14 AM »
Yes.

I run parallels 8, Win XP (some features of FoCal don't run for Nikons), and Mac Lion.  You must also load up the Canon software disk that came with the camera, or download from their site.  One thing to look for if the system doesn't seem to recognize the camera- go to devices>usb>and check to be sure the camera is listed and a check mark is next to it.

swk

Nice write up, does the windows virtual machine require purchasing a windows os and running it on something like parallels? I am new to macs and am just trying to figure it's os out, so i haven't looked into integrating the windows on it (but i got a parallels program for free from b&h when i purchased the computer).
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

AKCalixto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:21:44 AM »
FoCal PRO

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:44:08 AM »
Here's a write up I previously did on AFMA:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/AF-Microadjustment-Tips.aspx

Currently, I use and recommend FoCal.  I'm running it on my Mac via a Windows virtual machine.
Excellent procedure and tips!  Just used Neuro's procedure today with LensAlign mk II.  THANK YOU Neuro!   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:44:08 AM »

pelebel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »
I did my ajustments with a pro tool: Lenscal.

http://digital-photography-school.com/adjusting-focus-with-datacolor-spyder-lenscal

Easy to use, and even with bad eyes, I did it well.
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
FoCal. No question. Worth every penny and then some, even if you've already done non-automated calibration on all your lenses and bodies.

All those rulers and moiré tests and what-not will get you in the ballpark, but, if they get it perfect, it'll be by chance.

What FoCal does is take multiple shots at multiple AFMA settings, and then it runs some fancy statistics to figure out which setting is most likely to give the best results most of the time. You see, the margin of error for the autofocus system is bigger than the interval used for AFMA steps, so you can easily have the sharpest individual shot be a statistical fluke that's still a few notches away from the one that'll give you the most keepers. Unless you're going to perform that kind of analysis by hand, you'll never discover that with the manual method.

One tip: if at all possible, use the 50x focal length Canon recommends with the big chart on the alternate page for best results. Centering the target is quicker with Live View on the camera back than in FoCal's preview, but it's worth getting confirmation from FoCal's preview.

And, yes, it works just fine in VMware on a Mac.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »