Leave the 5D Mk III, take the 5D Mk II...
Should I save $1,300, go with the MK2 and use the monies for glass?
1. I have read in many forums that Canon users contradict each other in MK3's sharpness/softness (both video and picture).
2. Some including FM founder will stick to their MK2.
3. The builtin HDR function and improved autofocus, video functions, and ergonomic features of MK3 are important to me.
4. Raw quality: is there a noticeable difference?
5. The ease of mind to use any Canon lens I choose (incl. 200/f2.0) is very appealing.
Please let me know what you think. Should i be considering other aspects or issues relating to these two excellent cameras? I thank forum members in advance for their Canon advice (and experience) on my decision as to the 5D to purchase and the 5D to leave at the store.
You can use both for stuff you wanna shoot. But...5D Mk II
-usable only center point AF in poor lighting
-older sensor/processor/more noise (as far as Ive seen samples and coparisons) - visible in both video and photos
-its sealed less than Mk III5D Mk III
-definitely better AF, center 5 points are diagonal cross type, 41 cross type points (you can read about it here: http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/1dx_guidebook.shtml
, just scroll down and read everything - very interesting stuff)
-AF - you can select between various modes (http://blog.martinbaileyphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5D_MarkIII_AF_Area_Selection_Modes1.jpg
-better sensor/processor/less noise at higher ISOs - I wouldnt mind to use ISO 10 000 and shoot to RAW
-better video/new codec (same as 1D-X)/some video features - Ive seen noise somparison between 5D Mk III and D800 and D800 is really noisy at higher ISOs when shooing video
-higher frame rate
If you need FF now, then buy 5D Mk II - its a great camera, it does the job fine. But I would rather spare some cash and buy later 5D Mk III - for my style of shooting all those new feature are really welcome (especially AF). Im an enthusiast and Im looking for a camera that will last me for next 5 years - dont know if you plan to shoot commercially or just for you/friends.