October 24, 2014, 05:31:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon Aims to Sell More Stuff.....  (Read 5678 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Aims to Sell More Stuff.....
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

… of course they do

Canon is projecting selling 27% more DSLR cameras this year, to the tune of 9.2 million units. They’re also aiming for a 17% increase in compact camera sales, up to 22 million units.

With DSLR sales growth, lens sales should take a similar path upwards.

Said about their compact segment

“… we will further differentiate and enhance our lineup by launching new cameras offering the image qualities that approaches SLR cameras; furthering the improvement in design and qualities, and by incorporating features such as network, connectivity capabilities.”

Cue the mirrorless rumors.

Source: [SA] via [NL]

cr

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:59:38 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Aims to Sell More Stuff.....
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Aims to Sell More Stuff.....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
Then I imagine they are willing to reconsider their pricing strategy. Prices of latest camera and lenses have been kinda  disconnected from the economic reality as we know it IMHO... ::)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:53:33 PM by well_dunno »

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »
Their plan to sell more products have been delayed till 2013. Reason for this is yet to be confirmed...

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
Launching new products?

Cripes, they can't even bring the ones they've announced to market in order to sell those, how on earth are they going to bring unreleased ones to market?

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
Then I imagine they are willing to reconsider their pricing strategy. Prices of latest camera and lenses have been kinda  disconnected the economic reality as we know it IMHO... ::)

i think every producer of anything has lost sense of reality when it come to pricing
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
Launching new products?

Cripes, they can't even bring the ones they've announced to market in order to sell those, how on earth are they going to bring unreleased ones to market?

All rare commodities are pricey...

Rodknee

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I think they must have a good sense of reality because they are getting away with charging very high prices for updaed products. Not sure if that will be too sustainable though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
offering the image qualities that approaches SLR cameras

yet more crippling

well done CR nice flame thread for a slow sunday haha

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
Then I imagine they are willing to reconsider their pricing strategy. Prices of latest camera and lenses have been kinda  disconnected the economic reality as we know it IMHO... ::)

i think every producer of anything has lost sense of reality when it come to pricing

As an example of another producer/manufacturer??

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
To sell more stuff, they have to ship them first...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »

The G1X has a sensor that's basically the 7D sensor trimmed to a 4:3 aspect ratio, paired with a lens close in quality to the 18-135mm.  I'd certainly say that 'approaches SLR cameras' in IQ.

Of course, the price approaches - even surpasses - SLR cameras!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:34:54 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
Guess it means they plan to aggressively take on the young growing markets such as that in China and India. How else are they going to do this? Their 5D III is really not doing that well compared to D800 (too expensive in some countries for too little) and their Rebel cameras are not seriously out-selling the V1/J1/D3100/D5000.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
Guess it means they plan to aggressively take on the young growing markets such as that in China and India. How else are they going to do this? Their 5D III is really not doing that well compared to D800 (too expensive in some countries for too little) and their Rebel cameras are not seriously out-selling the V1/J1/D3100/D5000.

Can you share the source(s) of your comparative sales figures?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Can you share the source(s) of your comparative sales figures?

This is going by current Amazon sales numbers in US and how Nikon takes the #1 sales spot in UK for the first 2 months of 2012. You're right, the info is rather limited and is not an accurate reflection of worldwide trends.

However, Canon achieving 30% increase in DSLR sales for the 1st quarter of 2012 is a fact. From http://seekingalpha.com/article/538551-canon-s-management-discusses-q1-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?source=marketwatch

"Among this market environment, we achieved a nearly 30% increase in unit sales of SLR cameras reflecting strong sales of our entry level models, and strong demand for recently launched camera targeting advanced, amateur users. We also continue to see the best sales for interchangeable lenses. We posted strong sales for new compact digital cameras, launched in March that incorporated Wi-Fi connectivity capabilities. As a result, overall cameras’ net sales increased 7%."

I am certain this massive increase in sales stems mostly from young developing markets because of the current economic climate in both US and Europe.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »

yet more crippling

Not sure how anyone gets the idea any "crippling" is going on, if you read the whole article and take the quote in context. It seems more that they are making the point that image quality in Powershot  and other small sensor cameras is improving and approaching the quality that has been previously available only in SLRs.

And please, let's not start another flame war over image quality. The quality is getting better across the spectrum, so yes, larger sensors will continue to outperform smaller ones, but the margins are shrinking.

Some things I found interesting: 

Sales in office equipment are down so Canon may be relying on Camera sales to offset those losses. I hope that doesn't mean the camera division has to cross-subsidize office equipment, but I'm afraid it might.

They barely mentioned video, yet in the last year Canon seems to have gone all-in on its digital video products. This was a talk to investors and the investment media, so not sure why they didn't hype Canon's major play for the professional cinema market.

They talked about new consumer DSLR products, but not really sure what they are referring to, since they haven't updated their consumer DSLRs.

No mention at all of cell phone competition. Did they just not want to bring it up? Seems to me like the elephant in the room when you talk about Powershots. I'm guessing the "image quality approaching SLR cameras" emphasis is driven largely by cell phone/tablet competition, but kind of funny that they didn't just come right out and say something to the effect that they intend to grow the market by offering quality that can't be matched in multi-purpose devices.

All-in-all though, I'm glad to see a generally optimistic outlook. If Canon makes money, it means more fun stuff for us.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »