August 23, 2014, 01:52:41 AM

Author Topic: A former Nikon user's thoughts on his first 24 hours with the 5D Mark III  (Read 8364 times)

brattymesler

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
It's funny, I never saw myself going to Canon after shooting Nikon for the last (and my first) five years.  I got noticed enough to be published in several magazines and newspapers around the world and be asked to partake in a few gallery shows focused on burlesque.  I love my D300, but this year came the time to upgrade with the idea of continuing the performance photography that I do, the head shots and portraits I take, and also getting into weddings (wish me luck on that one). 

Oh, and I got married last year and hired a photographer who shoots Canon.  As I vacillated back and forth between the D800 and 5DIII, one thing stuck out in my head: the way Canon renders color and skin tones versus my Nikon.  I was capital A-amazed.  All of his photos looked incredibly rich (he gave me the raw files so I knew what I was looking at) without editing.

I've been shooting with the 5DIII for just over 24 hours now including a christening today and I have some initial thoughts.

1)  Holy cow this thing is amazing!  It is at least as clean at ISO 12800 as my d300 at 1600 or maybe even 800!
2)  Gorgeous color rendition.  Out of camera, the raw files from my d300 were life like, but nowhere near as rich as these seem to be so far.  The screen on the camera has damn near perfect color reproduction so that I can pretty much hold it up to a tree or a dress and see very little difference.  The files on my computer have a vibrance my nikon is missing.
3)  Detail is excellent and I must give props to the 24-105L and 85 1.8 on that one as part of it.  It is definitely nice having f/4 have the DOF of f/4 and not f/5.6 like APS-C, but the detail in the files is astounding.  I neither want nor need 50-75MB files.  The detail and dynamic range I see at is an impressive step forward from both 12mp to 22mp and for 5 years development.
4) Wickedly fast autofocus.  My D300 is no slouch, but my 5dIII is making it look that way.  The zone autofocus is nice and I find myself enjoying the way zone AF is implemented.  With that, the choice of single point and single point spot is nice.  Getting used to using the wheels to choose my autofocus point more quickly is a pain, but again, it's part of learning a new system.
5) I REALLY MISS SPOT METERING LINKED TO MY AUTOFOCUS POINT.  It's going to take me a while to figure out how best to meter even when just shooting basic portraits.  Also the fuller coverage of a system this size on an APS-C sensor, but then I knew what I was getting myself into regardless of the company I ended up going with.
6) It feels like my D300- perfect in my hand.  A solid weight, a good size, similar button placement
7) Quiet mode and live view are excellent, need to experiment more with LV because it is so much crisper than on the D300

Additionally, I have to say the 85 1.8 is an AMAZING LENS.  It really has the feel of the Nikon 1.4d, and that is a hell of a compliment.  I must say it is lovely having that field of view of an 85 with the actual magnification of an 85 and not a 50 (and yes I know on nikon's crop it is technically the fov of a 75mm lens).  The 24-105L is great at f/4 and gets better from there, but I still feel the need to pick up a 35mm down the line.

Overall, this is a great camera!  So far I am incredibly satisfied and can't wait to master the system and regain the ability to easily make the shots I see in my head without thinking about what my hands are doing.

Thank you for indulging my initial thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:25:52 PM by brattymesler »

PhilDrinkwater

Well, it's nice to hear the positive news :)

I've said several times that the two things that would mean I would stay with Canon are how it renders skin tones and the 50mm 1.2 (which is just *beautiful*).

Graphs and numbers don't give you enough information to emotionally attach to a photo and all of the "tech heads" (on both sides) who discuss just numbers really miss the point IMO. I'm not saying they're not important - they can be - but the way my photo looks on screen at screen resolution is actually more important than the details of how the photo looks when it's scaled up or cropped down or pushed by 5 stops.

I guess everyone has their own view on this - and that's down to their personality or business needs - but for me I get actually bookings (see my work below) because of how my colours are. I know this because my customers tell me.

All that said, I think both Nikon and Canon have done a fantastic job with their latest cameras and I think the difference between them is actually very slight *for the majority of photographers*.

(P.S I love the silent shutter too - that really sold me the 5d3 over the 1dx)

ksuweh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
It is great to hear such complements from a former Nikonian! Thanks for sharing that. You had mentioned that you would like to pickup a 35 down the road. I have a 5D III as well as the 35 L. That lens is STUNNING! Very sharp even wide open. Its one of my favorite lenses. You will be impressed!! :)
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

stakx

4) Wickedly fast autofocus.  My D300 is no slouch, but my 5dIII is making it look that way.  The zone autofocus is nice and I find myself enjoying the way zone AF is implemented.  With that, the choice of single point and single point spot is nice.  Getting used to using the wheels to choose my autofocus point more quickly is a pain, but again, it's part of learning a new system.

For choosing autofocus points, I'd recommend using the "joystick"/multi-controller. It's intuitive and fast to choose points (even more so if you're using zone AF).

5) I REALLY MISS SPOT METERING LINKED TO MY AUTOFOCUS POINT.  It's going to take me a while to figure out how best to meter even when just shooting basic portraits.  Also the fuller coverage of a system this size on an APS-C sensor, but then I knew what I was getting myself into regardless of the company I ended up going with.

The "work around" is to use AE lock from the center spot meter and then recomposing. It took me a bit of practice to get used to it (on a 7D).

brattymesler

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile

For choosing autofocus points, I'd recommend using the "joystick"/multi-controller. It's intuitive and fast to choose points (even more so if you're using zone AF).

yep, working with it.  I finally figured out how to set the joystick so I don't need to press the autofocus select button first.

The "work around" is to use AE lock from the center spot meter and then recomposing. It took me a bit of practice to get used to it (on a 7D).

I'm working on it.  Can't say I'm thrilled, but I'm working on it.

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
Overall, this is a great camera!  So far I am incredibly satisfied and can't wait to master the system and regain the ability to easily make the shots I see in my head without thinking about what my hands are doing.

Thank you for indulging my initial thoughts.

congrats. I'm going the other direction from the red team to the yellow team  ;)
I'm sure we'll both enjoy our new systems. I'm excited about the switch to Nikon.

PhilDrinkwater

I would say that's a little disappointing. Sad that Canon felt the need to not allow this. I don't think it would have hurt sales of the 1 series :(

I never used the option so it doesn't affect me, but I understand it's not great for others :(

brattymesler

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile

congrats. I'm going the other direction from the red team to the yellow team  ;)
I'm sure we'll both enjoy our new systems. I'm excited about the switch to Nikon.

You'll love it.  If they had released what I wanted, it would have been a lot harder to make up my mind, but, unfortunately, they didn't.  so it goes...

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile

You'll love it.  If they had released what I wanted, it would have been a lot harder to make up my mind, but, unfortunately, they didn't.  so it goes...

yeah, they are just tools, not wife swapping or changing religions. If only most people saw it that way we wouldn't have to put up with the endless system wars.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Glad you're enjoying the 5DIII and putting it to good use. I was actually tempted to get a D700 over a 5DII several years ago, but fortunately Canon and Nikon decided to switch philosophies. I applaud Canon for building the 5DIII, the true successor to the D700 :D I'm sure former Canon shooters switching to D800 are applauding Nikon for building the true successor the 5DII :)

Renzokuken

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
resolution had nothing to do with it for me

The fact that the D800's dynamic range is almost 2 EVs better than the 5D3 YET at the same time having more than 10 mega-pixels squeeze into it is very very commendable on Nikon's part.

I wouldn't be guilty of thinking that the grass is greener on the other side if the 2 stops Noise improvement on 5DIII's part is more prevalent  in RAW files.

Canon themselves stated that the 2 stop improvement in noise performance that they've mentioned is from jpegs. Which mean that the improvement might come from better in-camera PP rather than a more advance or superior sensor, hence I'm not impressed.

Resolution have nothing to do with this
But it was an added bonus

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Canon themselves stated that the 2 stop improvement in noise performance that they've mentioned is from jpegs. Which mean that the improvement might come from better in-camera PP rather than a more advance or superior sensor, hence I'm not impressed.

But surely this just means that the raw converters (Adobe raw, Canon dpp) are not yet up for the 5d3 job? I cannot imagine that it's just in-camera postprocessing like noise reduction and dr compression.

LostArk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile

I would say that's a little disappointing. Sad that Canon felt the need to not allow this. I don't think it would have hurt sales of the 1 series :(

I never used the option so it doesn't affect me, but I understand it's not great for others :(

I like to do concert photography, and I usually use M mode. To get a spot exposure reading, recompose, and focus takes too long; by the time you do, the subject has moved or the lighting has changed. The fact that the D7000 doesn't have an AF-ON button is the only thing keeping me from switching back to Nikon.

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

But surely this just means that the raw converters (Adobe raw, Canon dpp) are not yet up for the 5d3 job? I cannot imagine that it's just in-camera postprocessing like noise reduction and dr compression.

Yes, a little bewildering. What's done in camera should be doable in post-processing. Let's see how the updated converters do that.

nesarajah

made my day . :)