August 20, 2014, 05:39:25 AM

Author Topic: Tamron EF 24-70 f/2.8 VC in Stock & Quick MTF Review  (Read 28527 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Tamron EF 24-70 f/2.8 VC in Stock & Quick MTF Review
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »
What you may not understand: even if a lens needs afma, it's bound to focus *somewhere* like in the afma test strips. So I'm interested how afma can improve a lens that it isn't sharp *anywhere*?
Let me get this straight - you went into a store and they let you shoot an AFMA strip with the lens attached to your camera?

*Like* afma test strips - you can shoot at textured round or tilted surfaces, so afma doesn't matter - just compare the sharp zones, wherever they are. Doesn't give you the afma data to correct your lens, but gives a good impression of sharpness - and the first Tamron was so way off in the sharp zone it didn't match what I was expecting from reviews and lens data.

Why don't you attach some uploads...

dilbert, I have already tried to convey my suggestion to drop the attitude. And I'm happy to discuss with fellow Canon users, and there are plenty of nice, polite and helpful people around open to different opinions, so I'm stopping here discussing with you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »

Other people might find this info usefull - but I'm going to wait for mrk II  ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:49 AM »
There are numerous stories about the importance of AFMA. In the mean time, you should read the articles about "lens softness" on this website and also those about using AFMA (auto-focus micro-adjust)

Thank you so very much for pointing out afma for me - however, I think I have understood the general concept, so no need for patronizing.

What you may not understand: even if a lens needs afma, it's bound to focus *somewhere* like in the afma test strips. So I'm interested how afma can improve a lens that it isn't sharp *anywhere*?

so afma could make a soft lens, less softer, and it can make a sharp lens more sharper.

we are afraid you havent a camera to tru this out
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
Let me get this straight - you went into a store and they let you shoot an AFMA strip with the lens attached to your camera?

*Like* afma test strips - you can shoot at textured round or tilted surfaces, so afma doesn't matter - just compare the sharp zones, wherever they are. Doesn't give you the afma data to correct your lens, but gives a good impression of sharpness - and the first Tamron was so way off in the sharp zone it didn't match what I was expecting from reviews and lens data.

Why don't you attach some uploads...

dilbert, I have already tried to convey my suggestion to drop the attitude. And I'm happy to discuss with fellow Canon users, and there are plenty of nice, polite and helpful people around open to different opinions, so I'm stopping here discussing with you.

Well if you're not willing to upload images that you claim show "everything is soft", how are we to know if you're being truthful?

Generally speaking, if everything is out of focus then the camera hasn't focused on anything.

If you were shooting a textured wall then it is quite possible that the camera couldn't find enough contrast to obtain a focus lock or simply got confused.

markd61

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »
This is pretty brutal for Canon, as this just another recent episode of Canon being out shined by a competitor, since the Tamron is really competing against the 24-70 Mark 1

I'm sure the the 24-70 L Mark2 will have better resolution figures than the Tamron, but it costs $1K more and no I.S. What good is brilliant resolution if your hands are shaky?

Tally up the recent blows to Canon on 3 major projects

1) Nikon D800 is better than the 5D3 in almost all aspects, even video.
2) Very overpriced Canon Cinema division got destroyed at NAB by Black Magic and Sony who stole all the buzz.
3) Now Tamron fills the I.S. niche that #1 feature in the 24-70 that Canon customers were begging and pleading for, but Canon failed to deliver.

I think it's time for Canon to shed the arrogance and get back to earth and start making competitive products again. I think the huge success of the 5D2 made Canon really lazy and complacent in both stills and video, and the current products are a reflection of that arrogance.

Canon needs a real and decisive winner badly. Very badly.

Yet Canon is still selling loads of cameras, has way more lenses than Tamron AND makes flashes, remotes and other accessories. Note that in their lineup many of their lenses and bodies are in continual short supply despite prices that everyone seems to be wailing about.
I hardly think that a company the size of Canon is being arrogant just because your idea of what they should be doing does not line up with yours.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
Does anyone use the Tamron 24-70 on the 5d mk3 and can write how many focus points are enabled as cross-type or even double cross (i.e. what lens code Tamron emulates)?

As you might know (and many reviews get this wrong) the 1dx/5d3's af system doesn't only depend on the max. open aperture, but puts the lenses into groups - see the manual pp.80 for this.

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
Probably a stupid question, but does the Tamron have weather sealing? I've had a quick look around and can't really find any direct statement.

Thanks and sorry if it is mentioned somwhere obvious and i'm being blind! :)
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »

Yes, it has sealing (and a solid build quality). That's one big advantage over say the the ef-s 17-55. Look at reviews again like http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »

Yes, it has sealing (and a solid build quality). That's one big advantage over say the the ef-s 17-55. Look at reviews again like http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff

The reviews look great, i'm convinced, but it says "Moisture resistant construction"...  i guess my question is how resistant is it? Has anyone done a review on that yet??? I know that the canons are pretty well sealed, how does the tamron stack up in comparison?

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »
Has anyone done a review on that yet??? I know that the canons are pretty well sealed, how does the tamron stack up in comparison?

I read a lot of reviews on the Tamrons, and no one did a comparison on the sealing. You'd either have to try to wreck them on purpose and see which breaks first, or disassemble them and analyze the sealing points - both is well outside the reach of most internet reviews. And "moisture resistant" would be the rough translation of some japanese phrase.

For me, it's sufficient that it's surely more protected against dust and light rain than non-sealed lenses which will break in no time and probably take your sensor with them if water leaks inside the camera from the front. In heavy rain, I tend to seek shelter :-)

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
In heavy rain, I tend to seek shelter :-)

haha, true...  thanks for the info...  i guess you're right! :)

new-z

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
I have done a little test of my Tamron 24-70, you can find it just here.
Tamron 24-70 2.8 Test

www.new-z.fr
RSS
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:26:40 AM by new-z »

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »
Well if you're not willing to upload images that you claim show "everything is soft", how are we to know if you're being truthful?

We can now see comparisons posted at the-digital-picture.com. I would say the Tamron looks extremely sharp wide open in the centre, but fairly soft in the corners.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »

Fly

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
Does anyone use the Tamron 24-70 on the 5d mk3 and can write how many focus points are enabled as cross-type or even double cross (i.e. what lens code Tamron emulates)?

As you might know (and many reviews get this wrong) the 1dx/5d3's af system doesn't only depend on the max. open aperture, but puts the lenses into groups - see the manual pp.80 for this.

Hi,
I would also very much like to know the answer to this...
If it uses the f2.8 double crosstype focus points on the 5Diii, then I'm getting the Tamron in stead of the 24-105.

dwarf

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
I had two of these lenses and both were crap. Not worth 1200$ at all! Have a look for yourselves.
1.Total lack of quality control, decentred elements.
2. Mega barrel distortion.
3. Vignetting present even at f/11 won't go away.(on full frame)
4. Prone to flare even when the sun is at a 80 degree angle.
5. Acceptable(depending on type of photography), but slow autofocus
If it was in the price range of 300-400$ I would be able to look over the issues it had, but at 1200$(even though i got it for 1045$) stay away from it. I mean it! Tamron junk lenses are made out of pickle or mayonnaise jars.
I made the newspaper, brick wall and quadrant test. They are not the most sophisticated but it sure does show the cheap engineering Tamron is implementing in their lenses.
Have a good look at the top left and bottom right corner. It is so bad as if someone intentionally used the smudge tool in photoshop. Disgusting samples.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22285064@N03/sets/72157630580733610/
I used the 5dm2 camera, shot in raw and processed with Canon software all set to default. The crops are full size.
Here is are some images of the distortions:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22285064@N03/sets/72157630553470686/
As you can see there is heavy moustache distortion at 24mm
at 50mm there still is moustache distorition with slight pincushioning
and pincushioning at 70mm
There is no focal length where the lens is free from distortion
Here is the raw image of the newspaper test 30MB size:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sli3l6a82g20mkk
and the jpeg with default processing 20MB:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3sk3x3gbxf58gif
I have read positive reviews about this lens at the beginning, but all of a sudden the internet is flooded with negative reviews... This is called QUALITY CONTROL at Tamron.
Save your money and buy a second hand lens, or better pay 300-600$ more and buy the original manufacturer lens.
Mainstream manufacturer lens last for a lifetime +20 years if they are looked after. Buy Tamron and expect you will be replacing it in 2-3 years after.
Good luck with your purchase of this lens....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »