December 06, 2016, 01:13:59 AM

Author Topic: Tamron EF 24-70 f/2.8 VC in Stock & Quick MTF Review  (Read 40733 times)

adhocphotographer

• 5D Mark III
    • John Rowell Photography
Re: Tamron EF 24-70 f/2.8 VC in Stock & Quick MTF Review
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »
Thanks and sorry if it is mentioned somwhere obvious and i'm being blind! :)
Yes, it has sealing (and a solid build quality). That's one big advantage over say the the ef-s 17-55. Look at reviews again like http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff

The reviews look great, i'm convinced, but it says "Moisture resistant construction"...  i guess my question is how resistant is it? Has anyone done a review on that yet??? I know that the canons are pretty well sealed, how does the tamron stack up in comparison?
5D MkIII
16-35L IS, 24L II, 70-200L IS II, 500L IS II
-------www.john-rowell.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »
Has anyone done a review on that yet??? I know that the canons are pretty well sealed, how does the tamron stack up in comparison?

I read a lot of reviews on the Tamrons, and no one did a comparison on the sealing. You'd either have to try to wreck them on purpose and see which breaks first, or disassemble them and analyze the sealing points - both is well outside the reach of most internet reviews. And "moisture resistant" would be the rough translation of some japanese phrase.

For me, it's sufficient that it's surely more protected against dust and light rain than non-sealed lenses which will break in no time and probably take your sensor with them if water leaks inside the camera from the front. In heavy rain, I tend to seek shelter :-)

adhocphotographer

• 5D Mark III
    • John Rowell Photography
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
In heavy rain, I tend to seek shelter :-)

haha, true...  thanks for the info...  i guess you're right! :)
5D MkIII
16-35L IS, 24L II, 70-200L IS II, 500L IS II
-------www.john-rowell.com--------

new-z

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
I have done a little test of my Tamron 24-70, you can find it just here.
Tamron 24-70 2.8 Test

www.new-z.fr
RSS
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:26:40 AM by new-z »

epsiloneri

• Canon 6D
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »
Well if you're not willing to upload images that you claim show "everything is soft", how are we to know if you're being truthful?
We can now see comparisons posted at the-digital-picture.com. I would say the Tamron looks extremely sharp wide open in the centre, but fairly soft in the corners.

Fly

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »
Does anyone use the Tamron 24-70 on the 5d mk3 and can write how many focus points are enabled as cross-type or even double cross (i.e. what lens code Tamron emulates)?

As you might know (and many reviews get this wrong) the 1dx/5d3's af system doesn't only depend on the max. open aperture, but puts the lenses into groups - see the manual pp.80 for this.

Hi,
I would also very much like to know the answer to this...
If it uses the f2.8 double crosstype focus points on the 5Diii, then I'm getting the Tamron in stead of the 24-105.

dwarf

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
I had two of these lenses and both were crap. Not worth 1200$ at all! Have a look for yourselves.
1.Total lack of quality control, decentred elements.
2. Mega barrel distortion.
3. Vignetting present even at f/11 won't go away.(on full frame)
4. Prone to flare even when the sun is at a 80 degree angle.
5. Acceptable(depending on type of photography), but slow autofocus
If it was in the price range of 300-400$ I would be able to look over the issues it had, but at 1200$(even though i got it for 1045$) stay away from it. I mean it! Tamron junk lenses are made out of pickle or mayonnaise jars.
I made the newspaper, brick wall and quadrant test. They are not the most sophisticated but it sure does show the cheap engineering Tamron is implementing in their lenses.
Have a good look at the top left and bottom right corner. It is so bad as if someone intentionally used the smudge tool in photoshop. Disgusting samples.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22285064@N03/sets/72157630580733610/
I used the 5dm2 camera, shot in raw and processed with Canon software all set to default. The crops are full size.
Here is are some images of the distortions:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22285064@N03/sets/72157630553470686/
As you can see there is heavy moustache distortion at 24mm
at 50mm there still is moustache distorition with slight pincushioning
and pincushioning at 70mm
There is no focal length where the lens is free from distortion
Here is the raw image of the newspaper test 30MB size:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sli3l6a82g20mkk
and the jpeg with default processing 20MB:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3sk3x3gbxf58gif
I have read positive reviews about this lens at the beginning, but all of a sudden the internet is flooded with negative reviews... This is called QUALITY CONTROL at Tamron.
Save your money and buy a second hand lens, or better pay 300-600$ more and buy the original manufacturer lens.
Mainstream manufacturer lens last for a lifetime +20 years if they are looked after. Buy Tamron and expect you will be replacing it in 2-3 years after.
Good luck with your purchase of this lens....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »

epsiloneri

• Canon 6D
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 02:35:06 AM »
I had two of these lenses and both were crap.
Thanks for contributing with your experience. Your review strikes me as a bit too emotional, exaggerating and contradicting with other reviews for me to take it seriously, in particular since this also is your first post and we haven't had a chance to gauge your experience, skills, language and general attitudes. I cannot say I've seen internet flooded with negative reviews of the lens. To measure barrel distortion you need to carefully align your paper wall with the sensor plane - they have to be absolutely parallel. This doesn't seem to be the case in your example photo, which looks as if tilted slightly downwards. Distortion has previously been measured to be very low, ~1% barrel at 24mm and 0.02% pincusion at 70mm, uniform across the frame. Very few issues with flare and ghosting, even when shooting into the light. Vignetting sure is a problem at f/2.8, but by f/5.6 it's down to half a stop in the corners, and is noticably better than Canon's current offering.
Good luck with your purchase of this lens....
Thanks, I probably will get it at some point, and then I will take care to evaluate the lens to check for any problems you mentioned. Maybe Tamron has problem with its QC, but at this point I cannot exclude user error.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2012, 04:11:55 AM »

1.Total lack of quality control, decentred elements.

Known issue w/ Tamron, it might be a hassle to get a good copy. But you might want to keep in mind you get two Tamron 24-70 *with* IS for one Canon mk2...

2. Mega barrel distortion.
3. Vignetting present even at f/11 won't go away.(on full frame)

Well, that's what postprocessing software is for.

I didn't read about that yet, the test I know said the flare wasn't nice but nothing too serious.

5. Acceptable(depending on type of photography), but slow autofocus

This is one of the two real issues, the other issue is that the Tamron never really gets sharp across the frame even stopped down and that mid-frame sharpness is mediocre on large apertures on full frame. So if you don't need f2.8 the 24-105L might be the smarter choice, but the Tamron has @currently 1000€ ok bang for the buck.

dwarf

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
Sorry if i didn't quote properly...
[/quote]

Well, that's what postprocessing software is for.
-You can't correct that heavy mustache distortion with any software.

I didn't read about that yet, the test I know said the flare wasn't nice but nothing too serious.
If the sun is up at 2 o'clock and it is at an 80 degree angle you will get it no matter if you use the lens hood.

Every independent reviewer that actually purchases the lens and is not affiliated with Tamron in any way will score this lens negatively. I also met some other people, a guy from the dombower forum, and thomas from photozone that were very disappointed with it...
If it is in the 400$ range, I might buy it with reservations.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
Sorry if i didn't quote properly...

Um, with the bad quoting it's hard to get an idea of what you're saying... but the photozone is rather in favor of the Tamron: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/741-tamron2470f28eosff?start=2

And saying that everybody that likes the lens is affiliated with Tamron is really ridiculous, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay for what performance. A $400 tag for this lens would be nice of course, but if you compare it to the competition it's better than the Canon mk1 in center sharpness and less than half of the price of the still IS-less Canon mk2. So I'm absolutely convinced at least many amateur shooters will be very happy with the lens and IS for static indoor shots.

dwarf

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
Ok, my quoting was a total disaster  :-\

I wanted to answer Marsu42,

You can't get rid of the mustache/wavy distortion with any program. It's there forever. Even if it was possible like with some other lenses you would be cropping the centre of the image losing way too much resolution, but this lens has distortion even in the very centre.

About the flare, I wanted to say if you use a lens hood, and the sun is in the 12am-4pm position and the light is coming at an angle that is behind you,  you will get flare.
I do agree with you "some" amateurs will be happy with it, but even for them it is too expensive and IQ is bad.
I'd rather buy 2-3 fixed focal length lens by Canon and be happy instead of using the Tamron.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »
You can't get rid of the mustache/wavy distortion with any program. It's there forever.

This is the first time I read about this distortion, and I've read all tests out there I could find). Is this your personal experience w/ one sample, or can you please give a source where the lens was tested with this result so I can read on?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2012, 03:39:24 AM »

dwarf

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
I am surprised the hear that you haven't heard of mustache distortion so far..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics)
Every web site like, photozone, dpreview, kenrockwell etc etc mention it if the lens has that kind of distortion...
You can see in the images of the brick wall i provided.
Happy reading :)

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 02:39:10 AM »
Happy reading :)

You misunderstood me: I *know* what a distortion is, I just didn't read any *review* that says the lens has a problem with it. Dpreview & KR have no review yet, Photozone: "At 24 mm the lens shows a heavy amount of barrel distortion (~3.8%), which flips over to a slight pincushion type (~0.8%) at 70mm. In the middle range the distortions are marginal. "

Of course there a dozens and dozens of user reviews out there - but given the poor Tamron quality control many people "test" a bad sample and generalize their findings. I'd rather rely on a professional reviewer who replaces a lens if he discovers unexpected problems. Btw, even a moustache distortion could be corrected with the correct lens profile, it's just a question how much quality is lost.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2012, 02:39:10 AM »