October 20, 2014, 02:05:11 PM

Author Topic: Canon did everything it could in 5D3  (Read 8871 times)

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon did everything it could in 5D3
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
I sincerely believe that Canon did everything it could to 5D3. Its AF is dramatically improved, its body is improved, and its shooting is improved. There is no question that if Canon had improved sensor, they would have made it part of 5D3. So, if/when Canon has a modern sensor, it will make it part of 5D4 or 5D5.

Canon just does not have a modern sensor or technology for the price point, thus 5D3 had to be content with 5D2 sensor.

That above was our conclusion and the factor in not completely switching to Nikon. We will hang on to our Canon gears (lenses and flashes mostly) for a year or two.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon did everything it could in 5D3
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »

BillyBean

Re: Canon did everything it could in 5D3
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't buy this theory for a nanosecond.

I think the most likely reason that the 5D3 has the specification it has is that it is designed for wedding and event photographers. If you look at this market, the price, image quality and framerate is pretty well perfect, from what I understand.

Later in the year, likely a studio camera will come out with high MP, lower frame rate, perhaps worse autofocus.

For those with less cash (enthusiasts and amateurs), there is the 5D mk 2.

Nikon is a smaller company who don't have the resources of Canon, which is why they have to buy in sensors. Canon have already proven in the 7D sensor that they can make high density excellent sensors, and even allowing for lower yield of the larger die (dye?) it is still feasible to produce circa 50MP sensors.

Canon produce cameras for markets, in order to make money.

Is this annoying to some? Sure, but don't mistake it for incompetence. Head over to bythom.com to read about how Nikon create great cameras, and then cannot make anywhere near enough lenses OR bodies to satisfy demand - now THAT my friend is incompetence...

"I've noted many times, supply is not meeting demand for many items, and that's a dangerous proposition as you always leak sales to competitors when that happens." - Tom Hogan...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:19:05 PM by BillyBean »

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »

I think the most likely reason that the 5D3 has the specification it has is that it is designed for wedding and event photographers. If you look at this market, the price, image quality and framerate is pretty well perfect, from what I understand.

Later in the year, likely a studio camera will come out with high MP, lower frame rate, perhaps worse autofocus.

For those with less cash (enthusiasts and amateurs), there is the 5D mk 2.

Nikon is a smaller company who don't have the resources of Canon, which is why they have to buy in sensors. Canon have already proven in the 7D sensor that they can make high density excellent sensors, and even allowing for lower yield of the larger die (dye?) it is still feasible to produce circa 50MP sensors.

Canon produce cameras for markets, in order to make money.

Is this annoying to some? Sure, but don't mistake it for incompetence. Head over to bythom.com to read about how Nikon create great cameras, and then cannot make anywhere near enough lenses OR bodies to satisfy demand - now THAT my friend is incompetence...

"I've noted many times, supply is not meeting demand for many items, and that's a dangerous proposition as you always leak sales to competitors when that happens." - Tom Hogan...

So you don't believe that Canon is severely lagging behind (or incompetent, to use your terminology) in sensor technology? Even "excellent" 7D's IQ is horrible. Basically, Canon is lacking in sensor, be it incompetence or indifference.

But I agree that Nikon cannot keep up with the demand, so it could be due to a horrible supply chain (incompetence) and/or unexpected demand (circumstantial). We are living proof of that -- 3 D4 shipped, but 5 D800/D800e no clue at all.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
No one will know for sure where Canon stands in terms of sensor tech until the 1Dx goes on sale. It's possible that Canon may have gimped the 5DIII's sensor instead of it's other features (AF, sealing, burst rate, etc.). We'll see. 

BillyBean

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »
So you don't believe that Canon is severely lagging behind (or incompetent, to use your terminology) in sensor technology? Even "excellent" 7D's IQ is horrible. Basically, Canon is lacking in sensor, be it incompetence or indifference.

No I don't. Sure, the megapixel is less than the D800 - but it's where it needs to be for the market in question.

But I agree that Nikon cannot keep up with the demand, so it could be due to a horrible supply chain (incompetence) and/or unexpected demand (circumstantial). We are living proof of that -- 3 D4 shipped, but 5 D800/D800e no clue at all.

The Nikon supply problems are not just following recent introductions - they date back years. I've never had any issue getting hold of Canon glass, except immediately after release. According to Tom Hogan, Nikon have a much deeper routed and long lasting problem.

The thing that really does annoy me about Canon is that their strategy - creating products tightly aligned to a specific market - means that they do the most annoying things to hobble a specific product and prevent it reaching it potential and competing with a product designed for a different market, so for example screwing up the 5D2 autofocus to prevent it competing with the 1D range, and so on. This I find intensely annoying. And now we have the whole pro video thing, which results in further compromises.

So I'm not saying I'm not annoyed - I'm as annoyed as you are. But you don't get to be as successful as Canon are in imaging and incompetent in sensor design - it just doesn't make sense.

Wait until the end of 2012. If they don't have a high MP sensor product out by then, maybe you will convince me...  :)

Neeneko

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

While I often criticize the 5D3 and some of Canon's moves, I do not believe they are 'behind' in sensor technology.   They are not putting out wiz bang, innovative, or experimental stuff (which Sony is looking at) they are putting their R&D where it gives the best gains for their particular market focus.  This might be 'indifference', but indifference from a perspective of it just not mattering to them or their primary markets.

For small embedded companies this is always a delicate balancing act and has to take multiple years into account.  Setting up additional manufacturing is costly and risky, it takes years or even decades for it to pay off, so they have to weigh the supply/demand problem of today against using that capability tomorrow.  They probably ran the numbers and found that it was less risky to have supply issues then to overbuild.

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
No I don't. Sure, the megapixel is less than the D800 - but it's where it needs to be for the market in question.

It might be where it needed to be, but cramming 18mp on the digic 4 was a bad idea, in fact it crippled a great camera same with the 550D, 600D and 60D because they just recycled technology. The IQ is worse than the older cameras such as the 40D. They did the same with the 50D and that turned out to have worse IQ than the 40D a third more pixels on the same sensor technology will lead to nothing but poor IQ. All for the MP race.

They arent struggling in the sensor category just not innovating as much as they could, im not really sure what they have been doing for the past 4 years, but sitting on the fence and seeing what the competition do is the wrong thing to do. Innovation is the way forward, otherwise you get left behind! I don't know whats happened, have they got a new CEO? The strategy has definitely changed.

For me the 5D MKIII is like the perfect camera so im not in the complaining crowd. But I wont buy until things simmer down and they sort the niggles out. Hopefully they are all just firmware problems.

In terms of whether they did everything they could. Nope. The camera is an homologation of used parts, put together to create not only a great camera but also to do it cheaply. The profit on these cameras will be really good I assume, the cost of R&D on this camera is minimal, slightly updated sensor to keep the frame rate up and slight improvement to noise and DR, AF system moved from 1DX, body does have some ergonomic changes which is nice and a little more weather sealing. They just raided the parts bin instead of truly innovating this product which is fine by me, but for a £1000 premium... kind of annoying but what do you do?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:56:29 AM by tomscott »
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »

In terms of whether they did everything they could. Nope. The camera is an homologation of used parts, put together to create not only a great camera but also to do it cheaply. The profit on these cameras will be really good I assume, the cost of R&D on this camera is minimal, slightly updated sensor to keep the frame rate up and slight improvement to noise and DR, AF system moved from 1DX, body does have some ergonomic changes which is nice and a little more weather sealing. They just raided the parts bin instead of truly innovating this product which is fine by me, but for a £1000 premium... kind of annoying but what do you do?

I'm not sure I would consider a COMPLETELY new AF system that's only on TWO cameras "used parts", especially when it beat the camera it was "taken" from to market.  How many people would have loved to have had the "used" AF system out of the 1DsMKIII in the 5DMKII?  Hell, I know I would have.  Almost EVERY manufacturer shares parts across products.  Go look at almost any brand of vehicle in different models and you'll see things like steering wheels, control knobs, door handles and engines being used across multiple platforms.

Orion

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »

I'm not sure I would consider a COMPLETELY new AF system that's only on TWO cameras "used parts", especially when it beat the camera it was "taken" from to market.  How many people would have loved to have had the "used" AF system out of the 1DsMKIII in the 5DMKII?  Hell, I know I would have.  Almost EVERY manufacturer shares parts across products.  Go look at almost any brand of vehicle in different models and you'll see things like steering wheels, control knobs, door handles and engines being used across multiple platforms.

I just want to add that, the AF on the 1Dx is revolutionary for Canon, and to expect a better AF than 1Dx on a mkIII is ludicrous for the money. . . . Nikon has been spoling thier customers with adequate to good AF for years, and Canon has taken a BIG jump in ISO, AF, and with an ALL AROUND amazing WOREKHORSE of a camera, which is the 5DmkIII guys and gals! We have to look at things in context of Canon's past, v. NOW, instewad of comparing NOW to Now, you know. We have a baby 1Dx . . .. goo goo gaah gaah!

It will only get better! I just came back from shooting a wedding, btw! The mkIII is anything BUT soft! The only time it is soft is when you fail to properly expose and use your AF. WHich is why knowing this I took several images of the same scene to prove it to myself and to make sure I get the shot I want (almost like bracketing for AF ;) ) The camera is amazing! I kid you not. It was my first wedding . . and my first pro camera SINCE the 30D. It is tack sharp camera/AF.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »

I think the most likely reason that the 5D3 has the specification it has is that it is designed for wedding and event photographers. If you look at this market, the price, image quality and framerate is pretty well perfect, from what I understand... Canon produce(s) cameras for markets, in order to make money.

Exactly. I started a thread with a similar thought a few weeks back. I absolutely agree that Canon very shrewdly analyzed the market, figured out what event and wedding photographers needed and calculated a price point that would maximize both profits and sales to this market. And, frankly, wedding and event photography is about the only remaining large professional market in photography.

When Canon was just an upstart going against Nikon 40 years ago, they targeted the sports and wildlife markets and rode that to dominance in the industry. Now, they have focused on the wedding and event market and it's clear that they intend to make Canon the tool of choice for these photographers.

Nikon may have produced a very nice camera, but high test scores don't guarantee a market.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »

It's hard to take anything you say seriously if you believe that about the 7D

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
My guess is that the truth maybe a bit of both.

The 7D sensor does seem to suggest that Canon have the technical know how to produce a 40+ MP camera but DR does seem to be a problem(and its I'd guess a greater issue for the landscape market that high MP's caters to) so perhaps they desided to delay such a camera until they could overcome this issue?

To me the 5D mk3's resolution seems likely not to be the product of Canon's inability to up MP's anymore but rather than belief that 22 allows them to also increase FPS and offer superior video performance. The end result seems to be a camera thats targeted specifically to certain pros(I'd guess one of the largest areas of pros aswell) given that many event photographers are  becoming videographers.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:05:56 PM by moreorless »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
Two years ago, Canon had the technology to make a 52 MP sensor that could still achieve 8 fps.  Unfortunately, the technician who developed the plans accidentally dropped them on the floor of his Area 51 workroom, and the US Government locked him out, not to hurt to the photography industry, but rather as part of a broader effort to restrict technology to promote the military-industrial complex - in particular, "they" don't want us to have gasoline-powered 150 mpg cars, the iPhone 7, etc.  Canon was just caught in the fray, and as a result, they had to spend two years coming up with what has now been released as the 5DIII.  It's not the best they can do, it's just the best they will do without Area 51 research.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
Canon held back significantly.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

for a year or two.

So you'll switch to Nikon then?  What is the point of your thread?

EDIT: Typo.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »