October 21, 2014, 09:05:02 AM

Author Topic: Canon did everything it could in 5D3  (Read 8873 times)

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon did everything it could in 5D3
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
Preach.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
Canon is the master of intensely annoying "market differentiation" - meaning crippling of camera features for pure marketing speculations, which most of the time turn out to be dead wrong and are costing them market share.

Why do people make statements like this?  What makes you think it is costing them market share, and more importantly, do you have any data to back that up?  The availbale data show that Canon's market share for dSLRs has been increasing for the past several years.  So by the relevant objective measure, Canon is doing things right, not 'dead wrong'.

market share data I know, shows the opposite. Nikon and SOny have taken a lot of DSLR-market away from Canon over the past 6-7 years.

Why is Canon dead wrong? They could have built on their early DSLR-dominance. You may remember, that once upon a time their CMOS sensors were way better, especially at hi-ISO than anything else on the market! They totally squandered that and are WORSE today than competitors.

Had they focused on selling the very best cameras in  every market segment - best sensor and all the best photographic features, no holds barred ... they would completely OWN the entire DSLR market by now and Nikon would be in bankrupcy by now!

Sepcifically, Canon F_____ up when they

* brought the measly 50D instead of the 7D  ... that would have killed Nikon's immense success with the D300
* brought the 5D2 with 1Ds III AF-system - that would have killed Nikons D700 immediately
* brought the 1D IV instead of the ill-fated 1D III ... that would have stopped the D3/s in its tracks
* sold the 1Ds III for a reasonable 4k ... that would have killed the D3x
* stuck their video crap into video cams  ... Cxxx cameras from 1k to 20 k ... all available with EF-mount. Those Video types did not buy the 5D2 and 7D BECAUSE of their love for vpoorly video-suited DSLRs. They bought them solely for one reason: because no similarly decent videcam [e.g. a C100 or whatever] @ 1k and 2.5 k USD was available on the market!

BUT ... what did Canon do? Eyery step of the way only the BARE MINIMUM, always TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE. Always obsessed with "cannibalization" ... and ALWAYS full-bore marketing-differentiation, criplling "lowly" camera bodies and denying them readily available useful photographic features - irrespective of whether this would have helped them to capture market share from competitors. Always nickling and diming clients. Making them upgarde to a same-sensor camera just to get a decent  AF-system. Or charging them extra for hard to get lens shades instead of throwing those 1$ production cost items into the box like all reasonable competitors do!

All of this is why Nikon is back stronger than ever and why Canon has been losing market share all along.
All of this is why I more and more had it with Canon and will likely switch to Nikon once I move to FF.

so good, and so agree

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
Nikon and SOny have taken a lot of DSLR-market away from Canon over the past 6-7 years.

Sepcifically, Canon F_____ up when they...

All of this is why Nikon is back stronger than ever and why Canon has been losing market share all along.

WTF?  Show me the data, please?  What, cat got your keyboard?  Let me help.

2007 IDC Worldwide Digital Camera Market Share Review, cited here: Canon was again number 1 with share of 43 percent...Nikon was second with share of 40 percent...Sony again placed third, with a share of 6 percent, unchanged from 2005.

2010 IDC Worldwide Digital Camera Market Share Review, cited here: In the market for cameras with interchangeable lens, or single lens reflex cameras, Canon controlled 44.5 percent of the market, followed by Nikon with 29.8 percent and Sony with 11.9 percent, according to the data.

Sorry, but your 'facts' are bull$h!t.  As some simple math shows, Canon has not been 'losing market share all along' in fact, they've gained market share, going from 43% to 44.5%.  Nikon is the one that's been losing market share - they lost more than 10% and that's a pretty siginificant loss - and they lost much of it to Sony.

So, what did Canon really do?  Sell more dSLRs than any other manufacturer, year over year.  If that sounds like they're f__king up to you...well, you need to learn to interpert actual facts a bit more carefully.

All of this is why I more and more had it with Canon and will likely switch to Nikon once I move to FF.

Canon, I'm sure, is quaking in their financial boots at your threat.  Or not.  Either way, don't tell us, we don't care.  Just go buy a D800 and be happy...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:32:28 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Yup, Neuroanatomist is absolutely right here.

Canon has been growing from strength to strength in terms of worldwide market shares, contrary to fallacies propagated on the web. Canon's market shares may have eroded in developed countries like Japan and USA, but these are developed markets with little potential for growth. So, losing their market shares in these countries does not mean much. On the other hand, Canon's sales and marketing department has very shrewdly placed their bet on China, a developing country where the number of middle-income families is growing at a very rapid pace. In fact, as pointed in the linked article I provided, the Chinese market for high-end cameras is now larger than that in USA and Japan. If Canon manages to get a foothold in this market, they've made it big, really big. Why should they bother with small groups of whiners from stagnant developed markets? :D

The fact that Canon's 2012 Q1 results for DLSR sales is phenomenal bears testament to the effectiveness of their sales and marketing department. From http://seekingalpha.com/article/538551-canon-s-management-discusses-q1-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?source=marketwatch

"Among this market environment, we achieved a nearly 30% increase in unit sales of SLR cameras reflecting strong sales of our entry level models, and strong demand for recently launched camera targeting advanced, amateur users. We also continue to see the best sales for interchangeable lenses."

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:28 PM »
Nikon and SOny have taken a lot of DSLR-market away from Canon over the past 6-7 years.

Sepcifically, Canon F_____ up when they...

WTF?  Show me the data, please?  What, cat got your keyboard?  Let me help.

2007 IDC Worldwide Digital Camera Market Share Review, cited here: Canon was again number 1 with share of 43 percent...Nikon was second with share of 40 percent...Sony again placed third, with a share of 6 percent, unchanged from 2005.

2010 IDC Worldwide Digital Camera Market Share Review, cited here: In the market for cameras with interchangeable lens, or single lens reflex cameras, Canon controlled 44.5 percent of the market, followed by Nikon with 29.8 percent and Sony with 11.9 percent, according to the data.

Sorry, but your 'facts' are bull$h!t.  As some simple math shows, Canon has not been 'losing market share all along' in fact, they've gained market share, going from 43% to 44.5%.  Nikon is the one that's been losing market share - they lost more than 10% and that's a pretty siginificant loss - and they lost much of it to Sony.

So, what did Canon really do?  Sell more dSLRs than any other manufacturer, year over year.  If that sounds like they're f__king up to you...well, you need to learn to interpert actual facts a bit more carefully.

Canon, I'm sure, is quaking in their financial boots at your threat.  Or not.  Either way, don't tell us, we don't care.  Just go buy a D800 and be happy...

Bravo...  good thing i wasn't drinking coffee when i read your post.  =)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 12:34:31 PM by awinphoto »
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
Canon is the master of intensely annoying "market differentiation" - meaning crippling of camera features for pure marketing speculations, which most of the time turn out to be dead wrong and are costing them market share.

Why do people make statements like this?  What makes you think it is costing them market share, and more importantly, do you have any data to back that up?  The availbale data show that Canon's market share for dSLRs has been increasing for the past several years.  So by the relevant objective measure, Canon is doing things right, not 'dead wrong'.

"Canon is losing market share" claims usually boil down to a bunch of internet fanatics who think their opinions are more important than they really are, just because like-minded internet fanatics give them e-high-fives and virtual pats on the back. Gee, my online buddies agree with me, so it must be true.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »