August 01, 2014, 10:07:09 AM

Author Topic: Canon Rebel T4i [CR2]  (Read 29291 times)

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Rebel T4i [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
I bought my T2i just before the T3i's came out, because it was my first DSLR and I didn't know about the T3i's. The only thing I wish mine had right now from the T3i is the articulating LCD screen. I would love to step up to FF, but can't really afford it. I'm interested in seeing the specs for the T4i... hopefully better ISO and noise performance and faster burst. That would make me happy.
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

JasonATL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »
I have the 550D and 600D, and recently acquired a 5D Mark III (though it really belongs to my wife for photos). I only shoot video and couldn't have justified getting the 5D3 on video alone. While the 5D3 has clearly superior video capabilities than the 600D, I still use my 600D (a lot). 600D has better ergonomics for me and, with Magic Lantern, better "features". I've even been able to cut the 5D3 with the 600D where even sometimes I can't tell which was used after the fact.

Improved video capabilities (note that I didn't say features) would interest me. Here's my wish list for the 650D/T4i:
1. No moire
2. Improved effective video resolution (not sensor MP) to be true 1920x1080.
3a. Clean HDMI out (won't happen, but a guy can dream), or
3b. A 4:2:2 codec (again, a guy can dream)
4. Improved low light/high ISO performance

Note that none of these is what I consider a "feature". To me, they are capabilities that result in better images, not just easier images. I'm not interested in video features. I have plenty of those with the 550D, 600D, and Magic Lantern (thanks Alex!). A video AF is next to useless for me, and I take a lot of "live" shots.

If the camera only offers any of 1-3, I am very likely to get it (actually, one 3 option alone would sell it for me). Eliminated moire isn't a must-have for me, as long as they leave the 3x zoom in it (which eliminates moire, albeit at crop, but not resolution, cost). If it has any 2, I almost surely will get it. I'm looking forward to the actual announcement.

By the way, I just don't understand why someone who is getting a DSLR for video use would get a 550D rather than a 600D/T3i. The flip screen and the 3x zoom that eliminates moire are well worth the premium. For stills, I don't see why anyone would get the 600D over the 550D. I think the fact that the 550D outsells the 600D says why people buy these cams.

Silverstream

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
By the way, I just don't understand why someone who is getting a DSLR for video use would get a 550D rather than a 600D/T3i. The flip screen and the 3x zoom that eliminates moire are well worth the premium. For stills, I don't see why anyone would get the 600D over the 550D. I think the fact that the 550D outsells the 600D says why people buy these cams.

I was surprised by the last line and went to amazon to see. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-SLR-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/3017941/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_3_281052
I am planning on buying a t4i the instant it becomes available to order UNLESS it has the same sensor. Based on the number of sales at this general price and the current level of competition, it would seem (IMO) to me that it would be ludicrous for it not to be an improved sensor.

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
If Canon have got something new in terms of autofocus technology then that could generate rather more interest.
I believe that if Canon DID have something new in AF (I'm talking about video), we would have seen it implemented on the G1X.

What I'd like to see in all new Canons is focus peaking in live view. Canon do you hear me? Just copy Sony!

Download Magic Lantern.
Peaking, false color, all that crap =).
IF Canon found a way for the software to control the autofocus drive WITHOUT stutter (either thru a USB controller or built-in racking ability...like Magic Lantern), I might have to buy it.
Otherwise they can eat my A.
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »
Let's return to basics: Canon needs to match Olympus E-M5 and Sony NEX-5N for base ISO dynamic range and continue to provide acceptable high ISO performance. I'm sure the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor is not hard to beat in the high ISO department.

If Canon cannot even meet these basic requirements, we don't even have to bother with video performance etc etc

stabmasterasron

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
I am inclined to wait for the 70d, but could be tempted if:
-improve AF (not expecting 7D here, just better than the past rebels)
-at least 6fps (with at least 12 raw buffer)
-better high ISO performance

Other features would be nice (like focus peaking), but these are my essentials.  Don't care if they develop a new sensor for t4i, although I don't know why they would use the same sensor as t3i.  But high MP doesn't do anything for me, I would rather have better dynamic range and same MP.  All of this is probably very unlikely as these features probably don't sell cameras at the rebel level - they will probably keep things about the same and throw in some more video features.  Oh well - I hope they announce the 70D soon.

tomsop

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
As owner of a Rebel XT, I think whatever is announced will be a big upgrade for me.  My issue is even when t4i is announced, is this the best choice?  Right now I am leaning to the Nikon 3200.  I would rather stay with Canon so I could keep my 2 lenses but Nikon's autofocus features and 24 MP sounds really good.  The current rumor seems to make the changes sound really incremental to me but maybe I don't know enough to appreciate the announcement.  It seems like for me the t3i focusing was really slow and most of the videos I see the camera is always trying to focus.  Of the crop sensor segment it is the most popular but I did not get a sense that it was being bought by serious hobbyists.  I am a casual user but would like to make sure my camera is a better investment that allows me to be creative with still and video but gives me room to grow with both features

Should I be looking at other cameras besides the upcoming t4i?   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »

iTasneem

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:52 AM »
I hope canon don't raise the price to $999... and i hope they use xx0D naming over the Txi.

!Xabbu

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 02:36:15 AM »

Get a 60D - it has exactly the specs you name above (apart from the better high ISO, which will need a new sensor). If they would put these features in the T4i, it would be a 60D in a less ergonomic, but smaller body. Not sure that this would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:59 AM »
Get a 60D - it has exactly the specs you name above (apart from the better high ISO, which will need a new sensor). If they would put these features in the T4i, it would be a 60D in a less ergonomic, but smaller body. Not sure that this would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

Exactly - the xxxd series has another market position, it's not just a feature-cut xxd, but many video users like it with magic lantern because you strictly don't need the 60d's features over the 600d's for video. So it's a sound speculation to say Canon might try to catch up on video/live view af now that they've announced silent usm lenses and is primes.

I have to wonder whether the 7D's AF system will find its way into more of Canon's DSLRs.

Probably never - at least the customizations are too "pro" to be trickled down, the af (next to ff sensor) is a major selling point for expensive bodies. And too many af points in the viewfinder will disturb entry users like Ma and Dad.

As far as IQ goes, the current 18MP sensor has its weaknesses, but it is good enough that if you can't produce good images with it, then photography is probably not your thing.I think we have reached a stage where improvements in sensors won't necessarily benefit everyone.  On the other hand, improved specs are what marketing departments are looking for to sell cameras.

What's good? My 60d has a good iq, but with flash I'm at least at iso 400, and at iso 800 in no time when shooting macro or something that moves and this shows when raising shadows in post.

Everyone will benefit from improved iso performance - imagine you can be at 1/4000s all the time in daylight or shoot noise free-pictures at iso 6400 indoors with your kit lens stopped down if you don't care about bokeh. At the same time, the latter might be the reason this won't happen too soon - if Canon wants to keep up fast lens sales, they improve iso marginally and go for higher mp because Nikon has them.

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:16 AM »
Problem is where do you draw the line for beginner SLRs?

Half the specs on here that people are after are more in the XXD line so it wont happen.

From history, the XXXDs will be slow but in a great compact design, but still offer great IQ and a menu system that will allow you to grow. Which IMO is the correct way to go or you eat into your higher quality SLR list then gives an upgrade path.

Problems I see is that the competition are replying to Canons dominance by making the cheaper SLRs more into the medium sector better MP and a better skill set. So in this respect if Canon are to compete they must update the whole line meaning the 700D 70D and 7D MKII so as not to play themselves out of the game.

We are not talking 5Ds here, lets get off that band wagon. We are talking consumer products the im sure that the XXXDs will outsell the pro lines at least 10-1 so we are talking bread and butter and they must get this right especially with the Nikon D5200.

6-8fps is the base line for semi pro DSLRs like the 60D and 7D. I just hope they improve the 60D so it is back into the XXD product line and the 7D MKII does something extraordinary to put it into the pro category for crop sensor Canon cameras.

So would 5fps be a good base? better than the competition and a nice range. Maybe that is too fast? But if they did this the XXD would have to be at least 7 even 8 so the 7D MKII will have to be 10FPS and that will put it in 1DX territory so again I don't no whether they will. Although the crop will be the definitive factor between the two which is enough but again the old discussion between the 1.6 crop on longer lenses is a big deal.

Problem is that 18mp sensor wasn't that great... I think ok for the consumer cameras but I think they should put some distance between it and the 7D this time instead of recycling the tech. Although the 7D is a much better camera technically and ergonomically at the end of the day for still life you can get the same results and I dont think the 7D sensor is good enough for pros/semi pros the 40D had better noise characteristics at low ISO than the 18mp sensor and low ISO is the holy grail! Everyone will automatically go there to get the best quality in the right conditions so that was a bit of a kick in the teeth as thats where I primarily shoot. Which is why I didn't buy one.

It will be interesting where they go from here. They could be in trouble hope they get it right.

I just wish they would innovate instead of trying to be safe! Its the first step generally to show that a company is going in a wrong direction.
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

garyploski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 06:36:27 AM »
After I missed the 7D for $1199 yesterday this brought me out my :( state and has me very ;D!

Does anyone have a take on what coming soon/very soon generally means to CR? Both were referenced in this post.ß

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
Excellent.

The 60D and 7D are in NO need of an update.  ::)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
Excellent.

The 60D and 7D are in NO need of an update.  ::)

If they bring a new sensor out for the 700D then there will be a need for update. The 60D needs updating to bring it back in line the XXD previously were. Was a disappointment for most XXD users. I agree with the 7D but then it would be nice to have a better sensor in it. I would buy it then. No point in buying something new for the IQ to be worse than previous models.
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

stabmasterasron

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »

Yes, but the t4i has to be updated compared to the t3i, else why call it the next generation of rebel?  The t3i has a 3.7 fps burst rate.  Is it that big of a leap to give it 6fps?  It would best the new Nikon offering.  So what if it is faster than the old 60D, that camera will be out of production before Christmas.  I would guess the 70D will have at least 8fps.

But yes, I get your point, these specs are essentially the 60D.  And in reality my next camera will be something from the xxD line.  I can't see getting another rebel.  The IQ is OK, just not enough quick flexibility for me.  And it feels a little flimsy. 

The big question is where does the Rebel line go?  Because the mirrorless cams are starting to make a good argument as an alternative to an entry level DSLR.  Does canon make the Rebels mirrorless?  Does it take the Rebels upscale to put some distance between them and the mirrorless? And if Canon does take the rebel upscale, what does that do to the xxD line?  Anyway, it is a great time to be in the market for a new camera - things are getting interesting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »