September 22, 2014, 04:53:40 PM

Author Topic: LR4.1 RC to blame. Check this out!  (Read 29525 times)

PhilDrinkwater

Re: LR4.1 RC to blame. Check this out!
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »
What I think we need is:
  • Processed in DPP with no NR
  • Processed in DPP with NR
  • Processed in LR with no NR
  • Processed in LR with NR

... so we can see the worst and best for each product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 10:48:31 AM »

MattBicePhotography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
Here is the original file. Feel free to do what you like with it. I do think that some NR in LR seems to go a long way but the result is certainly different. Remember that I both increased the shadows in DPP AND PhotoShop, in the original comparison.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nmt8y1

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »
ACR 6.7 (full release version) just become available
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Here is the original file. Feel free to do what you like with it. I do think that some NR in LR seems to go a long way but the result is certainly different. Remember that I both increased the shadows in DPP AND PhotoShop, in the original comparison.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nmt8y1

I'll run it thru Capture One Pro 6 tonight and post the results.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »
This is LR (tried to go more neutral in color temp):

initial version by the OP:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:11:27 PM by Ivar »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
ACR 6.7 (full release version) just become available

Thanks for posting this. What5 is the "Camera Raw 6.7 Plug-in Release Candidate"?

I have been using "DNG Converter 6.7" as a standalone App.

I run CS5 and LR3. Would the Camera Raw Plug-in work in LR3?

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
I don't have time to post the pictures right now, but I did a quick test, as much of an extreme real-world one as I could think of that I'd ever want to do. I took a high-noon picture looking into a garden shed entirely in shadow. I exposed for the exterior, and underexposed by a couple stops. In DPP, after moving the exposure and shadow sliders all the way to the right, the interior of the shed was clean as a whistle. Even in Camera Raw, after boosting the exposure and shadows more than I'd ever want to do, it didn't take too much noise reduction to tame the noise.

If I have too much free time later, I might post some of it. But, as far as i'm concerned, all this nonsense about insufficient dynamic range is a tempest in a teapot. Get the exposure right and you'll be fine. Heck, get the exposure off by a stop or two and you'll be okay. There's more than enough clean information in there for any reasonable kind of post-processing. Any situation where you'd want more, you should have either done your job as a photographer to get better light on your subject or you should have shot HDR.

Cheers,

b&

MattBicePhotography

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
I don't have time to post the pictures right now, but I did a quick test, as much of an extreme real-world one as I could think of that I'd ever want to do. I took a high-noon picture looking into a garden shed entirely in shadow. I exposed for the exterior, and underexposed by a couple stops. In DPP, after moving the exposure and shadow sliders all the way to the right, the interior of the shed was clean as a whistle. Even in Camera Raw, after boosting the exposure and shadows more than I'd ever want to do, it didn't take too much noise reduction to tame the noise.

If I have too much free time later, I might post some of it. But, as far as i'm concerned, all this nonsense about insufficient dynamic range is a tempest in a teapot. Get the exposure right and you'll be fine. Heck, get the exposure off by a stop or two and you'll be okay. There's more than enough clean information in there for any reasonable kind of post-processing. Any situation where you'd want more, you should have either done your job as a photographer to get better light on your subject or you should have shot HDR.

Cheers,

b&

Well Said.

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
So I read in the EOS bodies for stills forum that DPP handles the RAW files far better than light room. So to test this, I took this photo outside of my apartment with a bright texas sun off of white rocks and a nice dark shadow in the covered hallway. I opened the photo with DPP and just saved it to Full tilt TIFF. I then opened the photo in CS5.5 and Duplicated the background layer. On this new layer I adjust the shadows and highlights to 100% on the shadow slider. I also brightened the "X" even further using the dodge tool set to shadows and 100 exposure.

Let me blow your mind a little.

AND......

obviously these could not have been taken by a 5D3............. ::) ::) ::)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbicephotography/ here is my photostream so you can go look at the pictures at full size. I think LR4.1 RC certainly works better with Nikon.

I maybe missing something but the spray painted writing on the wall in the background seems to continue perfectly on the post and downspout in the foreground. How did this happen? Was that supposed to be your copyright added later?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:42:38 PM by Tracy Pinto »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »
This is LR (tried to go more neutral in color temp):

initial version by the OP:

The altered white balance looks more true now as far as what you mean by going more neutral.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:49:13 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
So I'm confused... is LR causing issues with pulling shadows or not?
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »
AFAIK Aperture 3 does the same nonsense to the RAWs as everyone here is complaining about. Sharpness is better than the initial DPP but push-shadows is not very impressive.

I am curious what you guys will recommend by the end of this day!
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
Here is my version adobe camera raw, and the settings used. I did nothing to the white balance but to tell you the truth my color calibrated monitor looks much better. I assume this would look better in Safari because they have a true color accurate setting in the browser unlike many others. Yes there was banding noise in the shadows but it was slight and went away quickly when i changed up the noise reduction with Luminance. Now the suggested edge the nikon D800 has is not so much as it seems. I wouldn't have taken too many photos with this scenario it would be all sun or all shade in the shot. so lifting shadows isn't too critical for what i do but that said my second shooter shot a couple majorly underexposed and it was too dark to bring things back but then she shoots Sony...
The top image is with CS5 Camera Raw 6.7, it looks un-natural and extra saturated whereas the same settings in LR 4 were used in the bottom image.
Aperture really made the shadows wack! It got a black pixelated and looked weird but the color auto adjusted ot a more natural color which i liked. at 4.690 k for temp and -8 for tint, whereas the LR and ACR 6.7 both were showing 4800 temp +5 tint.
Sorry, i saved them 800px wide with 120dpi. If you absolutely need large files just PM me i'l run it again and save them full size.
LR4 did good CS5, i don't know what happened...maybe because it was a 2010 adobe file instead of 2012 idk...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:43:30 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
Here is the Aperture 3.2.3 edited version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »