August 20, 2014, 01:40:04 AM

Author Topic: Is 5DmkIII actually a 7DmkII in disguise?  (Read 1711 times)

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Is 5DmkIII actually a 7DmkII in disguise?
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Other than sporting a FF sensor, and now double the price, the 5DmkIII seems to have more in common with a 7D than a 5DmkII.  By that, I mean increased shooting speed, improved AF sensors, etc... It just seems to appeal more to the 7D crowd than it does the 5DmkII crowd. I look at my 5DmkII as fitting in perfectly with my shooting style, more slow and deliberate than fast and from the hip. Thoughts?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

Is 5DmkIII actually a 7DmkII in disguise?
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Is 5DmkIII actually a 7DmkII in disguise?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
depends what you shot, how you shoot, and what you expect out of your equipment.  Wedding photographers, for example flocked to the 21MP 5d2 but then were bitterly disappointed by the AF, slow shooting, camera lag, etc...  It was a good camera but many things kept it from being a great camera or even exceptional camera.  The situation got even worse with the intro of the 7d with features the 5d2 crowd was drooling over but had to downgrade sensors to get.  The 5d3 added everything the 5d2 was lacking.  Now the 5d3 camera is what everyone wanted the 5d series to be... a great all around camera that can do what you want when you want it without any compromises.  For a landscape shooter, you may not find it as appropriate as others, but to others that have been struggling and limping along with the 5d2 for the last few years, this is a dream come true. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
depends what you shot, how you shoot, and what you expect out of your equipment.  Wedding photographers, for example flocked to the 21MP 5d2 but then were bitterly disappointed by the AF, slow shooting, camera lag, etc...  It was a good camera but many things kept it from being a great camera or even exceptional camera.  The situation got even worse with the intro of the 7d with features the 5d2 crowd was drooling over but had to downgrade sensors to get.  The 5d3 added everything the 5d2 was lacking.  Now the 5d3 camera is what everyone wanted the 5d series to be... a great all around camera that can do what you want when you want it without any compromises.  For a landscape shooter, you may not find it as appropriate as others, but to others that have been struggling and limping along with the 5d2 for the last few years, this is a dream come true.

+1

The 5DII's strength was IQ.  It's weakness was...well, almost everything else.  The 5DIII delivers equivalent IQ while improving...almost everything else.  I think the 5DIII appeals to a pretty big crowd, and I'm thinking Canon is betting that's the case, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »

+1 And I'm mostly a landscape photog. I can see how the primitive AF points would be frustrating for wedding and portraits. So in a sense, you support my observation: The 5DmkIII has features from the 7D that many photogs have been wanting.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

+1 And I'm mostly a landscape photog. I can see how the primitive AF points would be frustrating for wedding and portraits. So in a sense, you support my observation: The 5DmkIII has features from the 7D that many photogs have been wanting.

I shot many weddings with the 5DII without a thought of the AF - it did its job fine

The 5D111 has little to offer for the 7D owner except a better AF system

Natural upgrade for the 7D owner would be a 1D4

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »

Or a 7D with the new updated, God blessed, improved, squeaky-clean, fast, no-noise firmware update!!  :)

EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »

I shot many weddings with the 5DII without a thought of the AF - it did its job fine

The 5D111 has little to offer for the 7D owner except a better AF system

The 5d3 over the 7d has a superior sensor, HDR, better movie mode, direct print button (oops i mean RATE button), bigger screen, better AF overall with more AF modes, from what early tests hint, slightly more weathersealing (to be determined), superior ISO capabilities, etc...  If image quality and AF are priorities, the 5d3 would be the natural upgrade UNLESS you are a heavy sports shooter who needs reach and blazingly fast FPS...  Not all 7d shooters are sports shooters and want the best the aps-c line has to offer
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
I think it is only natural that the 5D MkIII borrows much from the 7D, as that is the most recent semi-pro camera prior to the MkIII. As an owner of both the 5D MkII and the 7D, the ergonomics and layout of the 7D makes much more sense. When I tried out the MkIII when CPS did a demonstration, it certainly felt like I was picking up the 7D. As someone who shoots both landscapes and wildlife, eventually, I will replace the MkII and keep the 7D for extra reach or if I need a higher frame rate, using the MkIII for more than just landscapes, because of the improved image quality. If I got the 1D MkIV, then I would replace it with the 7D, but I would lose reach (although I'm betting that a 2x extender willl at least match the 1.4x coupled with the 7D, with the exception of CA and contrast).
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
I think it is only natural that the 5D MkIII borrows much from the 7D, as that is the most recent semi-pro camera prior to the MkIII. As an owner of both the 5D MkII and the 7D, the ergonomics and layout of the 7D makes much more sense. When I tried out the MkIII when CPS did a demonstration, it certainly felt like I was picking up the 7D. As someone who shoots both landscapes and wildlife, eventually, I will replace the MkII and keep the 7D for extra reach or if I need a higher frame rate, using the MkIII for more than just landscapes, because of the improved image quality. If I got the 1D MkIV, then I would replace it with the 7D, but I would lose reach (although I'm betting that a 2x extender willl at least match the 1.4x coupled with the 7D, with the exception of CA and contrast).

That's the route I went with... ditched the 5d2 and kept the 7d to backup my 5d3.  And with the 2x dont forget the extra stop of light lost...  I'm not a sports shooter per se but there are times the 8 FPS will help get a shot that otherwise may be impossible without much rigging and laser sensor triggering, but that's another topic for another day. 

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
I think it is only natural that the 5D MkIII borrows much from the 7D, as that is the most recent semi-pro camera prior to the MkIII.

The 5DIII is a lot closer to the 1DS3 apart from the size of the body and some buttons. The major difference is that there is no video with the 1DS3

stevenrrmanir

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

Or a 7D with the new updated, God blessed, improved, squeaky-clean, fast, no-noise firmware update!!  :)

yeah - a few updates here and there but practically the same body... same IQ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »