December 17, 2014, 09:57:14 PM

Author Topic: Canon fixed 5DIII light leak with tape  (Read 12701 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon fixed 5DIII light leak with tape
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
Actually, i take back my words..the fact that light can leak from the top to the sensor, means that the moment you remove the top cover to "fix" this issue..means dust will definately enter the sensor area…
So i don't think i'll be sending in my camera for this "fix"

Not sure why so many people are confused by this issue.  The light leak does not...Not...NOT...affect the imaging sensor.  The light leak affects the metering sensor (which is in the pentaprism housing that protrudes up from the body), which affects the exposure determined by the light meter.  The image is not directly affected. 

(Plus, I'm pretty sure that Canon Service can work on things inside the camera without messing up the imaging sensor, I mean, things do go wrong in there, shutter failure, etc., and Canon can fix them, right?)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:21:58 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
Looks good to me, but still not going to bother sending mine in.

Tape is everywhere in electronics. It's all over my motorcycle. A device that carries me to 170mph, rain or shine, hot or cold. Tape is okay. The only place i can recall not seeing much tape was inside high-end audio gear. But that's just because they use the clean layout and lack of things like tape as a selling point to blow the mind of the innocent. Many audio guys would rather sleep with their amp than their wife.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
Looks good to me, but still not going to bother sending mine in.

Tape is everywhere in electronics. It's all over my motorcycle. A device that carries me to 170mph, rain or shine, hot or cold. Tape is okay. The only place i can recall not seeing much tape was inside high-end audio gear. But that's just because they use the clean layout and lack of things like tape as a selling point to blow the mind of the innocent. Many audio guys would rather sleep with their amp than their wife.

just thinking out loud, so who then is sleeping with their wives?  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

The guitar player.  It's always the guitar player.

llcanon

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
Duct Tape:  It has a light side and a dark side, and holds the world together!

There may be three species then: 1) untaped leaky originals 2) tape kludged originals and 3) revised design without tape.

4) the DiY fix.   :P

This is funny. It reminded me of an old story. A guy wanted to steal a bell hanging on his neighbor’s front door. He was afraid that the sound of the bell would alarm his neighbor. So he came up with a fix – covering his own ears.   

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »

hahaha... Good point
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Kamera Obscura

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
haha! Remember the Apollo mission? so should be just fine.

Best,
dario.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
(Plus, I'm pretty sure that Canon Service can work on things inside the camera without messing up the imaging sensor, I mean, things do go wrong in there, shutter failure, etc., and Canon can fix them, right?)

As much as I loved using CPS repair to fix a "bump" on my 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, I did notice a few more dust specs inside the lens (when looking through it unmounted) after they opened it up.  Not enough to ever care, but still, not fully dust free.  It happens. 

As for the issue - yeah, its a non-issue.  I dont shoot in dark closets and only maybe if I am shooting the Milky Way at 12,000 ft 100 miles from any city would I ever have to compensate, and I usually AEB anyway.  Exposure Meter only folks!

Tape.  You should see the stuff I work with :)

I am sure somewhere there is a new inventory item on the Canon Repair Supply System -
(1) Roll 20' of Light Absorbing Adhesive Blocker - $100.

:)

Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

+1  LOL  ;D
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 02:09:30 PM »
I think this is the kind of fix that can wait until my 5D III needs to go in for some other reason..

rechinutzu

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
I don't understand,they fixed with tape the first lot of cameras who had issues(which were sent for repair) or the brand new lot of 5d mark iii after they have realised it has this issues was fixed with tape.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
It kind of cracks me up when people talk about/are worried about the resale value of a camera they just bought 37 seconds ago.  I have NEVER based any purchase decision on the future resale value it may have, whether it be a vehicle, a piece of gear or an iPod.  If you want one, buy it. Use it, ENJOY it.

As I'm one of the ones who mentioned I'm concerned/annoyed with it, I'll respond....Loss of value means reduced profits as that money has to come from somewhere. Even for hobbiest, it may make the difference on when/if they upgrade and what else they purchase. If I knew that after a 3 years, a 1dx and a 5d3 would both depreciate only $1000, I'd get the 1dx and everything beyond the $1000 would just be a deposit that I get back. On capital equipment, resale value is important. You wouldn't buy a $300,000 home believing it would only be worth have that in a year, would you?

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
Canon will always offer this fix for free. So resale value is not an issue since even if these early cameras will be worth less on the used market in a few years you could always "upgrade" for free then.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
On capital equipment, resale value is important. You wouldn't buy a $300,000 home believing it would only be worth have that in a year, would you?

No, but last time I checked my house wasn't capital equipment. I rather suspect the IRS would be a little miffed if I fully depreciated my house over a 5-year period of tax returns, which is something that's the norm for capital equipment...

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
A quote from LOST, the ABC TV series:  "I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape"

I do believe in duct tape! - Miles - Lost Season 6 - Episode 18

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »