September 30, 2014, 06:21:07 AM

Author Topic: Canon 85 1.8 vs. Sigma 85 1.4  (Read 29155 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 85 1.8 vs. Sigma 85 1.4
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
I think i know what you mean about spastic focusing

in low light if it hunts due to not enough contrast it can sound jittery because it hunts over a very short distance rather than racking the entire focus range like a canon lens hunting
while it can sound a bit wierd it will lock focus sh!tloads faster
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

in low light if it hunts due to not enough contrast it can sound jittery because it hunts over a very short distance rather than racking the entire focus range like a canon lens hunting

This might be, but I am also starting to wonder whether the body (my 5D II) comes into play here? Here is what I wrote in a different thread here today:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8056.15

Might I ask a question which might seem quite uninformed?

My own camera is a 5D II with grip, and I am also now borrowing the 1Ds III. I have previously borrowed the 85 F1.2L, but then shot it with my 5D II. I had to throw away most of the pictures I shot with that combo (ca. 80%), and that is the reason I went with the 85 F1.4 Sigma instead (that and price of course:). I have now also borrowed the 85L, and I am using it on the 1Ds III, and I have an exponential growth in keepers.. This might be because I am getting better at taking shots, but I cannot shake the thought that the combo of the AF on the 1Ds III and the 85L works better than the 5D II and the same lens?

1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »

This might be, but I am also starting to wonder whether the body (my 5D II) comes into play here? Here is what I wrote in a different thread here today:

My own camera is a 5D II with grip, and I am also now borrowing the 1Ds III. I have previously borrowed the 85 F1.2L, but then shot it with my 5D II. I had to throw away most of the pictures I shot with that combo (ca. 80%), and that is the reason I went with the 85 F1.4 Sigma instead (that and price of course:). I have now also borrowed the 85L, and I am using it on the 1Ds III, and I have an exponential growth in keepers.. This might be because I am getting better at taking shots, but I cannot shake the thought that the combo of the AF on the 1Ds III and the 85L works better than the 5D II and the same lens?

Were you using the center point of the 5DII and was the lens MFA'd first?  Shooting wide open with outer points on the 5DII will give lower keeper rates than the center point.  My old crop camera didn't have MFA and worked decently well with fast lenses.  My 5DII needs an adjustment of about +10 on the same lenses.  Were you using AI servo or single shot?

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »

Were you using the center point of the 5DII and was the lens MFA'd first?  Shooting wide open with outer points on the 5DII will give lower keeper rates than the center point.  My old crop camera didn't have MFA and worked decently well with fast lenses.  My 5DII needs an adjustment of about +10 on the same lenses.  Were you using AI servo or single shot?

I rarely shoot with I servo (a few times when shooting high speed bikes on a track, and some testing with birds, otherwise I shoot AI Focus as a default (most of my shots are of people and things that hardly move). I have never microadjusted any lens on my camera, and have not seen the need...? That lens is the only one that I have struggled with, but as mentioned above, it works quite well with my borrowed 1Ds III. It could be as you suggest that microadjustment would solve it, and if I were to buy one I would have to do it. However I do not see myself buying one in the near future, since I just got my Siggy 85 1.4 which I am very happy with, and I have set my eyes on the new 24-70, and I would like to replace my 50 1.4 (just got it back from the shop) with the 1.2. Too many cool lenses, and not enough money:)

As a sidenot, although I love my Siggy 85 1.4, I have to say that the bokeh on the 85 1.2 seems more dreamy, or buttery, and color rendition is brilliant.
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
Regarding AF mode...you wrote that you primarily use Al focus.  There are many people that believe this is the worst AF mode to use, and that using it results in far too many oof shots.

I leave my 5d3 on al servo because I shoot a lot of moving subjects, and then I switch to one shot with stationary subjects. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:19:57 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
I rarely shoot with I servo (a few times when shooting high speed bikes on a track, and some testing with birds, otherwise I shoot AI Focus as a default (most of my shots are of people and things that hardly move). I have never microadjusted any lens on my camera, and have not seen the need...? That lens is the only one that I have struggled with, but as mentioned above, it works quite well with my borrowed 1Ds III. It could be as you suggest that microadjustment would solve it, and if I were to buy one I would have to do it. However I do not see myself buying one in the near future, since I just got my Siggy 85 1.4 which I am very happy with, and I have set my eyes on the new 24-70, and I would like to replace my 50 1.4 (just got it back from the shop) with the 1.2. Too many cool lenses, and not enough money:)

As a sidenot, although I love my Siggy 85 1.4, I have to say that the bokeh on the 85 1.2 seems more dreamy, or buttery, and color rendition is brilliant.

Then it was most likely a MFA issue.  The faster the lens, the more important it is.  I'd do it for all lenses f/2.8 or faster.  It's noticeable especialy if the adjustment is more than 2.  My 5DII seems to want every lens around +10.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
Regarding AF mode...you wrote that you primarily use Al focus.  There are many people that believe this is the worst AF mode to use, and that using it results in far too many oof shots.

I leave my 5d3 on al servo because I shoot a lot of moving subjects, and then I switch to one shot with stationary subjects.

Thanks for the heads up:) I will try this. I just read on the differences when I got my camera, and took it at face value. I will try the one shot, and also I will try with the AI servo on still shots to see the effect.

PS: where do you write the gear you have below the line, without having to write it each time?
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

I thank you all for your good advice, and a special thank to Northstar for your brilliant advice on not to use the AI Focus. While I still love my Siggy 85 1.4, I have now borrowed the 85L II for a month, and after shooting with One Shot, instead of AI Focus, the keeper rate have had an exponential growth. Here is one I took today of my eldest son with my 5D II  and the 85L II (I have as you all see done nothing with the picture, except converting it to jpg and rezised it for web).
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »

I thank you all for your good advice, and a special thank to Northstar for your brilliant advice on not to use the AI Focus. While I still love my Siggy 85 1.4, I have now borrowed the 85L II for a month, and after shooting with One Shot, instead of AI Focus, the keeper rate have had an exponential growth. Here is one I took today of my eldest son with my 5D II  and the 85L II (I have as you all see done nothing with the picture, except converting it to jpg and rezised it for web).

Quad...Glad to help!  Regarding AI Focus, you would think that with the word "focus" in the description that this setting would get you the best focus...but it surely doesn't...it's far and away the worst setting of the three.

It's really interesting when you think about it....you have this company that spends tens of thousands of hours of time and countless dollars developing and testing their product, and then they put a function in the product (ai focus in this case) that just doesn't work well.   It makes you think, they must know right?  And if they do know why do they do it?   Marketing a camera "feature" is the only answer I can come up with.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
Regarding AI Focus, you would think that with the word "focus" in the description that this setting would get you the best focus...but it surely doesn't...it's far and away the worst setting of the three.

It's really interesting when you think about it....you have this company that spends tens of thousands of hours of time and countless dollars developing and testing their product, and then they put a function in the product (ai focus in this case) that just doesn't work well.   It makes you think, they must know right?  And if they do know why do they do it?   Marketing a camera "feature" is the only answer I can come up with.

I'm pretty sure they do know.  On 1-series bodies, the only options are One Shot and AI Servo.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
Regarding AI Focus, you would think that with the word "focus" in the description that this setting would get you the best focus...but it surely doesn't...it's far and away the worst setting of the three.

I'm pretty sure they do know.  On 1-series bodies, the only options are One Shot and AI Servo.

interesting...i didn't know that.  that makes me believe i'm correct in my assumption about marketing the feature.  they believe that marketing that feature(even though it isn't a good feature) eventually results in more profit for canon......even though the user will eventually dislike or become dissapointed in the feature and not use it...or even possibly return the camera.

the thought process in the corporate world, especially product management...sigh.
Sport Shooter

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »

interesting...i didn't know that.  that makes me believe i'm correct in my assumption about marketing the feature.  they believe that marketing that feature(even though it isn't a good feature) eventually results in more profit for canon......even though the user will eventually dislike or become dissapointed in the feature and not use it...or even possibly return the camera.

the thought process in the corporate world, especially product management...sigh.

Whatever it is, I have now stopped using it :) But like you said, not only is it intuitive to use it, it was also listed in several photobooks like the option that would serve me most for the type of pictures I take most. Well, no more.

Like neuro said, I have the 1Ds III that I have borrowed with the 85 1.2, and it does not have the AI Focus option.
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »