August 29, 2014, 08:35:26 PM

Author Topic: Shutter speed during video???  (Read 6724 times)

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Shutter speed during video???
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

Documentary / highlight roll, not a static 'coaches/spectator' view. We are putting together highlight footage and our regular videographer will be unavailable. I am hoping to learn more from him, but I don't meet with him regularly, and I appreciate the info I get from this forum too.

We capture isolated plays, emotions of the moment.

Currently, I use a Induro GHb2 gimbal head (or a  327RC joystick, or a 57 series ballhead) on a Manfrotto 055CXPRo 4 (or a 695 series monopod) to stabilze a 70-200 2.8 II on either a 1dIV, 5d3 or 7d. 

Also use any of my primes (135/2, 85, 35) if lighting is bad - which it usually is....

Need to decide soon on the value of getting the loaner pro camcorder or learning the 5d3 (or 7d/1d), but really hoping to have quickest learning curve to achieve least. amateurish looking video (despite the fact I am an amateur at video :) )

Links to readable resources on the basics of DSLR videos is appreciated, I read the Canon stuff, but am hungry for knowledge outside of the marketing....

First off, your tripod (head) is not suitable if you want any sort of motion (panning) because it's not a fluid head.  If it's not going to move, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it's stable.  The good news is there are some very affordable entry level "fluid" heads, if you're willing to spend about $70.

You don't need to rent a video camera - what you want to do can be done with a 7D.  I do it for a living.  In terms of focus, yes, you may have to stop down a bit for some of the action.  You have to practice focus pulling, and get fast at it.  Many still photographers I've worked with on video shoots are really really slow at pulling focus, because they are so used to setting focus, taking a single shot, and that's it.  Practice - sit down and let a little kid or a dog run around you and try to keep it in focus, ideally with a viewfinder (LCDVF). 

In terms of the frame rate, think of 24p/1/50th shutter as "normal" (for cinema).  If you want a more video look, go to 30p (1/60th), or if you don't mind dropping the resolution to 720, go ahead and shoot at 60, (with a 1/120th shutter) but it will look like TV - 60 frames is what most live television is shot at.  I don't use it but I come from a cinema background.   

If you're handholding, the 60p will be easier to deal with, and it depends on how close you can get, a 135mm prime is very hard to handhold even with a rig.  35mm is much easier.   In terms of capturing just a play, you have all the equipment you need, except perhaps a LCDVF (which also adds stabilization as it's pressed against your face) and perhaps a rig of some sort.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Have you ever edited the video from your 5D3 before?  Do you know how to make sure that you are rendering at the proper fps to avoid ghosting and the like? 

If I was going to do a short clip of highlights, I'd use my 5D3, but I'd plan on shooting the whole match and ending up with about 2 mins of usable game footage + off the court stuff, which is much easier.  It'll probably require at least 16GB worth of CF (Make sure you have the right speed of card 60Mbps minimum).

Here are some general tips, assuming that you can get yourself into video mode

1. Find the right white balance.  Gym lights can be pretty ugly, and I'd want to try and set the color temperature(its the mode that says K when setting white) to something that looked good on the camera's LCD.

2. I'd probably start with my 135 lense, and aim for f4.5-5.6. You really want the ISO to be below 1600 for the best look, but i'd go as high as 5200 if I planned on down scaling to 720p. If you find that you can get a lower ISO than 1600, I'd close down to f8 first, then drop ISO as far as it will go.

3. Shoot in the standard picture profile (default). Go with 30fps, and the slowest possible shutter (1/30 I think). This will make it as smooth as possible.  Also. I'd stick to 1080p, so I can pan and scan, and re-frame shots in post(see #4), since panning live is going to be hard.

4. For Action: Take short clips(<10 secs), since auto focus in video mode is totally nerfed, tracking and zooming is going to be effectively imposable (until you become a Jedi master). You need to frame a bunch of shots, and get lucky. Turn off IS (image stabilization). Use your tripod and make sure you know your focus point by using the zoom button while in live-view.

5. At some point, switch up your lenses, and get some wider shots with the 35mm.  If you want to get fancy, you can try and use your zoom to get extreme close-ups of players faces. Remember, if you plan on making the cut in 720p, you can crop to enhance zooms. 

Give this a try for the first game. If everything looks like sh*t, then go to the camcorder.  I think you'll know one way or the other.

Let us know how it works out, and  post a clips!

Also, if you plan on doing this stuff in the future, and you have more time to practice, i'd learn how to use one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579907-REG/Glidecam_HD_2000_HD2000_Stabilizer_System.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:20:58 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
VERY helpful hints, a few more ??'s

I already custom white balance for each of the different gyms I shoot, so I assume the same WB I shoot stills will be the same, correct?

Shoot Manual ?  30 fps, 1/30 or 1/60? , f 5.6 - f8, and adjust ISO to attain exposure

and I ASSUME that the 5d3 sensor would allow me to shoot lower ISO c/w the 7d, but if the 7d is 'adequate', I could set up both cameras, the 7d fixed and more WA, and then track / go handheld and tight with 5d3, but how much "post" will I have to do if I use 2 diff bodies? Granted I am probably going to pawn off the post on my videographer, but I'd like to learn to shoot it correctly and avoid common mistakes, which brings me to the compression formats.  Between the 7d and 5d3, which format to use for the 5d3? 

Time - synching?  Cheap options for a multi-camera shoot? Necessary ??

I do have a 64 GB 90mbs SD card for the 5d and (2) 32 GB 90mbs CF cards for the 7d, so I assume that would be enough storage for (max) 5 games, each lasting 20-30 min's.

Thanks again, I'll be reading, practicing this weekend but it is always nice to hear ( in advance what to look out for)...
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
VERY helpful hints, a few more ??'s

I already custom white balance for each of the different gyms I shoot, so I assume the same WB I shoot stills will be the same, correct?

Shoot Manual ?  30 fps, 1/30 or 1/60? , f 5.6 - f8, and adjust ISO to attain exposure
yes, and yes

and I ASSUME that the 5d3 sensor would allow me to shoot lower ISO c/w the 7d, but if the 7d is 'adequate', I could set up both cameras, the 7d fixed and more WA, and then track / go handheld and tight with 5d3, but how much "post" will I have to do if I use 2 diff bodies? Granted I am probably going to pawn off the post on my videographer, but I'd like to learn to shoot it correctly and avoid common mistakes, which brings me to the compression formats.  Between the 7d and 5d3, which format to use for the 5d3? 

Time - synching?  Cheap options for a multi-camera shoot? Necessary ??

Use inter-frame compression for 5d3 it will sinc up better with the 7D. Post shouldn't be too bad, just make sure you get a similar exposure/white balance.

I wouldn't worry too much about time synch, if you plan on taking large clips.

Also, at 30fps (inter) the mkiii will eat 60-80 Mbps, that's approx 8MB per second, so shooting continuously will cost you about .4GB per minute.  There is also a 29 minute/4GB limit for each clip. So you won't get much more than 11 mins at full resolution.   

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:03:36 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
 :)My compliments to everyone.  This discussion was both informative and a refreshing read in what can become a snarky world.  Virtual beers for all! ;)

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:48 AM »
very good advice indeed

if anyone wants to digg a bit deeper, and maybe learn not only "what" but also "why", I'd suggest this: http://www.similaar.com/foto/tuten/600.html

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »
2. I'd probably start with my 135 lense, and aim for f4.5-5.6. You really want the ISO to be below 1600 for the best look, but i'd go as high as 5200 if I planned on down scaling to 720p. If you find that you can get a lower ISO than 1600, I'd close down to f8 first, then drop ISO as far as it will go. [/url]
I agree with most of this except the ISO part. In video, you want to be working in multiples of 160, as that is the native ISO of the video DSLR's from Canon. So, ISO 160/320/640/800/1600 are your go-to's, and skip every other option. ISO 800 has less noise than ISO 125, for example.

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/05/01/proof-that-multiples-of-iso-160-work-best-on-canon-hdslrs/

If you need to go lower to get a shot, it seems that all the ones below 1600 are just noisy in general, so go with whatever works. But, for the 100-1000 range, stick in the multiples of 160 for best results.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
Ended up with the 7d on a tripod to capture the gym / court action and I bought a cheapo PROMASTER shoulder rig to help me shoot with 5d3 and a Hoodman Loupe Viewfinder.  A little awkward, and pulling focus was harder than I thought - kudos to you who do this all the time.  My files are being processed in FCP (trial version) so will post my newbie highlight reel in a day or two. Thanks for all the great advice, I ended up shooting 720p at 60fps 1/60 5.6, ISO 3200 on the 7d  (16-35 at ~ 30 m) and 2000 on the 5d3 with my 70-200. WB was set to 3200 but it ended up being a little cooler in the video than appeared on the viewfinder. How do I correct this in post?  Normally for stills I use L,  but what cheap options are there for video PP??
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 04:24:54 AM »
* most samyang primes are great, cheap lenses, not perfect for stills (only manual focus) but excellent for video (longer focus throw); the 8mm fisheye is spectacular, the 35mm is as sharp as its L and Zeiss counterparts (but bokeh is not as nice), the 85mm is under $300 and just as good as the L and Zeiss, including gorgeous bokeh
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_lensc.html#samyang

* for pulling focus, even the cheapest loupes are a great help
http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipment/us_video.html

* 24p looks a lot better than 60p, high frame rates make your footage look like a cheap soap opera, 24p puts it closer to film; I only use 60p for slow motion
http://www.similaar.com/foto/tuten/610.html

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
I think for sports, you can take it up to 30fps. It takes the edge off, but it still looks cinema-ish (at least to mee).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »