April 23, 2017, 02:16:04 PM

Author Topic: 5d3 Vs 5d4  (Read 878 times)

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
5d3 Vs 5d4
« on: Today at 12:14:34 AM »
This is a genuine question, am not wasting your time. If I am not interested in 4k video on this camera or the extra 1fps, what advantages does Mark 4 offer over Mark 3?

I currently have 1dc and 1dx2 but am looking to buy a travel camera which is lighter. I thought long and hard about Fuji Xt2 but am thinking not mainly because my travel photography involves low light situations and crop sensor is not ideal then. Also I will have to invest in new lenses etc.

So thinking 5d4 or 5d3 (Not 6D as I want good focus points). So what advantages of 5d4 over 5d3 in my situation please? Appreciate. Since I have the 2 1D series, I want to save few bucks on a camera which will not be used so much.

canon rumors FORUM

5d3 Vs 5d4
« on: Today at 12:14:34 AM »

Ryananthony

• Canon 70D
Re: 5d3 Vs 5d4
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:25:46 AM »
would you be buying the 5d3 new or used?

sanj

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:32:03 AM »
would you be buying the 5d3 new or used?

Used probably.

R1-7D

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:27:10 AM »
This is a genuine question, am not wasting your time. If I am not interested in 4k video on this camera or the extra 1fps, what advantages does Mark 4 offer over Mark 3?

I currently have 1dc and 1dx2 but am looking to buy a travel camera which is lighter. I thought long and hard about Fuji Xt2 but am thinking not mainly because my travel photography involves low light situations and crop sensor is not ideal then. Also I will have to invest in new lenses etc.

So thinking 5d4 or 5d3 (Not 6D as I want good focus points). So what advantages of 5d4 over 5d3 in my situation please? Appreciate. Since I have the 2 1D series, I want to save few bucks on a camera which will not be used so much.

I have a 5D3, 5DSR, 1DX and 1DX2. Honestly, my 5D3 doesn't get that much use anymore. It's a great camera, however, and there should be some awesome deals on it right now.

Not having used a 5D4 extensively, and just going from the broad information that is available online, my assumption of what you'd be losing out on if you went for a 5D3 over a 5D4 is:
- Better focusing and metering
- 8 more megapixels (if you crop regularly, this could be a big advantage)
- Dual Pixel AF (even though you don't shoot video, this feature is still awesome for stills)
- Wifi for tethering
- GPS (I thought this was gimmicky until I started using it regularly on my 1DX2 traveling around Europe)
- Better dynamic range for boosting shadows, etc.

Does any of that stuff matter to you? You seem to be concerned about the AF system, as per your mention of not wanting a 6D. The 5D4 uses the 1DX2 AF system, and I can attest to the fact the 1DX2 AF is better even than the amazingly good 1DX AF. However, the 5D3 is no slouch and is more than capable for most applications.

It all depends on you and what you're really looking for. Both are great cameras. It's just the newer model is better because of advances in technology. If you're not planning on using the camera much, however, maybe it makes more economic sense to go for the older 5D3?
Cameras: 1DX II, Canon M. Lenses: EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 85mm f/1.2 EFL II, 2X III, EF 11-24mm f/4L, Flashes MT-24 580EXII
Like Like x 1 View List

sanj

« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:45:41 AM »
Yes R1-7D these things all add up.

This 'travel' camera is for street/landscapes only. So perhaps one of the full frame Sony with one kit zoom and a 35mm 1.4 type of lens will make a light package? But but I will have to buy the lenses also. So confused I am.

AlanF

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:07:09 AM »
Here is a detailed comparison that concludes the 5DIV is better than the 5DIII in every way (which doesn't mean that the 5DIII is not a great camera) and in some areas beats the 1DXII:
http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-5d-mark-iv-field-review/

Any lighter alternative will mean some sacrifices for you. The 5DIV will lose some speed and robustness but where you don't need very high speed it has better image quality. You don't want a smaller sensor but the M5 is great for travel.
5D IV, 5DS R, 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X, 400mm DO II, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM, EF 70-200/4 IS, EF 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

hendrik-sg

• EOS M3
« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:38:19 AM »
As a 5d3 owner i remember the kick when i first tried the 5d3 owning a 5d2 this time, and yes it was iimmediately visible that it s much better and almost every way, except sensor prerformace which was the same.

i tried a 5dIV and the difference is much less obvious, at least in 5 minutes in shop.

For me, the biggest advantage would be the almost ISO invariant sensor, which would allow to underexpose at low iso, brighten in post ans so avoid blowing highlights for night shots. The other upgrades may be there for sure, but they wont save me if i am doing things wrong, or with other words, it's most times users fault if one can not take a good shot with a 5d3.

So i would really like a 5d4, BUT so far, i was not ready to spend 2000$+ for the upgrade, better get a speciality lens for this, or other equipment like a really good tripod, or take some lessons in photoshop.

This question may be a matter of luxury, if you have everything else, have no training needs, have enough money for travelling whenever you have the timee, and still have the money, i am sure you will really like a 5d4, as i would like it

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:38:19 AM »

docsmith

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:39:18 AM »
I am a 5DIII owner and borrowed the 5DIV for a few days.  I would agree that it is slightly better in most ways.  The battery drain issue does seem to be real, where the 5DIII has better battery life.

The biggest advantages of the 5DIV over the 5DIII that I noticed were lowlight focusing, weight (noticeably lighter), better auto WB, and I do like the shutter/mirror slap sound of 5DIV better.  It is quieter.  I have also seen people pull more detail out of shadows, but, in the shots I took where I tried to view the benefits of extended DR, the 5DIII actually did pretty well, but the 5DIV was better and I do occasionally see banding issues with my 5DIII. 

So, overall, the 5DIV is a better camera, except for the battery life.  But the 5DIII is an amazing camera in its own.

For a third camera, mostly aimed at lower weight, if you think of cameras as tools, I'd probably save the money and go for the 5DIII.  If you liked to geek out with the latest gear, then go with the 5DIV, it is better, and, maybe most importantly, just a bit lighter.

So far, I am staying with my 5DIII.  And the further we get from the release of the 5DIV and the more shots I take where I wouldn't have needed the 5DIV features the less tempted I am to upgrade. 

BeenThere

• EOS M3
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:25:52 AM »
Wait for 6D II later this year.

KeithBreazeal

• 1D Mark IV
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:56:55 PM »
Here is a detailed comparison that concludes the 5DIV is better than the 5DIII in every way (which doesn't mean that the 5DIII is not a great camera) and in some areas beats the 1DXII:
http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-5d-mark-iv-field-review/

Any lighter alternative will mean some sacrifices for you. The 5DIV will lose some speed and robustness but where you don't need very high speed it has better image quality. You don't want a smaller sensor but the M5 is great for travel.

I find the 5D Mark IV to be noticeably better than the 5D Mark III in real world shooting with an emphasis in the low light category.  I have a 5DS, but it stays in the office unless I'm shooting specifically for hi-res and want to carry a tripod.
I bought a M5 for casual shooting and I'm really liking it.  I took it on a day trip, leaving all other gear behind, and had a great time with reasonably good photos at the end of the day.
It really boils down to the question of what you intend to do with the travel photos.  If your goal is to sell large prints of low light subjects, the 5D Mark IV might be the better option.

Here are a couple M5 shots with the 11-22mm lens:

Canon EOS M5 11-22mm testing Bird Houses 0235 Web © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

This one is a .4 second(!) handheld through a protective grate at arms length

Columbia Fire House 0413 © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:56:55 PM »