August 22, 2014, 03:39:59 PM

Author Topic: Lens Cleaning Techniques/Opinions  (Read 228 times)

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Lens Cleaning Techniques/Opinions
« on: Today at 12:12:34 PM »
Hi everyone….I apologize in advance as I think this has been discussed before.  Just wondering what everyone’s opinion is regarding how and what they use to clean their lenses.  Any drawbacks/concerns when using various types of lens cloths, Lenspen, ZEISS pre-moistened lens cloths, one’s own shirt leave?  Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Lens Cleaning Techniques/Opinions
« on: Today at 12:12:34 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Lens Cleaning Techniques/Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:07:13 PM »
Those microfiber cloths are fantastic for anything that won't come off with air from a rocket blower.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:16:19 PM »
Giotto rocket blower and LensPen.  The old LensPens sucked but about 6 or so years ago they made them a lot better.  Their DSLR kit is a great tool and I have one (+various sized rockets) in each of my camera bags.  The Zeiss pre-moistened lens wipes are also nice for particularly nasty cleaning jobs.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:55:29 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:19:52 PM »
From Roger's article: "We know breathing on the lens and using the corner of your T-shirt usually works."

Honestly, I do this more often than I care to admit and I've never had a problem.  My normal "careful" method is virtually the same, blow off dust and breath vapor on the lens and use a microfiber cloth.  If there is a really bad or oily spot, I use lens cleaning fluid with a microfiber cloth.  I avoid anything very complicated and I avoid like alcohol or ammonia because I don't want to damage any of the coatings on the filter/lens.

The big key is to avoid rubbing any grit, dirt or sand around on the glass, possibly causing micro scratches!

But in general, I see no reason to go OCD nuts on how you clean lenses.  They don't get THAT dirty anyway and I use mine is all kinds of environments.  The worst issues are usually finger smudges with dirty fingers that contain oils.

This is also why I buy upper mid-range quality lens filters, they have harder glass and better coatings.  That way, I don't have to clean the lens front element very often, if ever.

Good luck!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:22:34 PM »
I just clean the front surface of the filter that is on my lens pretty much all the time.  ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:22:34 PM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:49:11 PM »
I just clean the front surface of the filter that is on my lens pretty much all the time.  ;D
I agree...I use only the best filters, though.I am a fan of Lenspen and similar products even for my expensive multi coated filters.
1. Use blower for loose dirt
2. Use brush
3. Use cleaning end of the Lenspen with the Carbon-Laden swab
4. Use brush an/or blower if necessary

Works like a charm and no abrasion.
If someone tells you to use "Lens Tissue"...RUN LIKE HELL!!!!   8)
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:57:07 PM »
But in general, I see no reason to go OCD nuts on how you clean lenses.  They don't get THAT dirty anyway and I use mine is all kinds of environments.  The worst issues are usually finger smudges with dirty fingers that contain oils.
+1, some people go way overboard on this stuff. 
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:34:55 PM »

+1, some people go way overboard on this stuff.

+1, agreed.  I like B&H's rule #1.  When to clean is probably as important as how to clean.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solution/how-clean-your-lens-and-filters
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:34:55 PM »