April 17, 2014, 03:17:12 AM

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell is loving his 5D MK3 compared to his D800  (Read 8702 times)

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Ken Rockwell is loving his 5D MK3 compared to his D800
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »
I guess i can see why some dislike ken, but i really like what he does. A disturbance in the force for liking the mk3? what? he loved the mk2, and the mk1. sure he had gripes, but he picked both of them over the nikon counterparts. Other than his favorable review of the canon 28mm 1.8, i can't say that i'v ever really disagreed with his findings. Sure they guy is a bit silly, but so am i. Sure he might wear a fanny pack, with his white socks hiked up, with white sneakers and shorts.. oh, well. He's always chosen whatever tool gets the job done the fastest, the easiest. For him that's been the 5d line. me to.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
Egad, another KR thread.  It's like a train wreck - I don't want to look, but I can't help it.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

D_Rochat

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
When I first started reading the posts here (not long ago), I was a bit surprised to see that people here (everywhere?) don't like Ken. I always liked to read his reviews, funny at times, and like the way he speaks what he thinks in a simple way -- definitely not worried about pleasing -- in some sort of bottom line (kinda "just buy it" or "definitely a no-no"). People may have a different opinion, but that's his; can't blame him for saying. You know, it's hard sometimes to choose a camera or lens when you keep reading about "goods" and "bads" and have to weigh them all on your own, especially when you're just taking up photography like me and have no idea if that little extra on that camera, that will cost you $300 more, is important or irrelevant. Well, it helps me when he says "I'd buy it". Kind of a friend's advice for a beginner, not techie stuff. Maybe he's more suited for the less experienced and simple minded (me included...). Well, I like him! (Should I run for cover now?)

I recommend having a look through http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ . I enjoy his reviews and find them really informative. He does get into the technical nitty gritty, but also gives real world assessments. In his last few paragraphs he'll mention if he recommends it based on what you may already have, cost and over all quality of the product.

plutonium10

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
I recommend having a look through http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ . I enjoy his reviews and find them really informative. He does get into the technical nitty gritty, but also gives real world assessments. In his last few paragraphs he'll mention if he recommends it based on what you may already have, cost and over all quality of the product.

+1 to that! All my camera and lens decisions where made much easier by his website. The lens comparison tools, especially the side-by-side sharpness and vignetting ones, are also a huge help.
EOS 7D | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF 70-300 L IS USM | EF 100 L IS USM Macro | Gitzo GT2531 | Arca-Swiss Z1

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
Its really amazing how KR can move between being a comic relief and a fly in the ointment so quickly!

The fate of every reviewer of anything... but looking at KR's success, I don't think he'll loose sleep over it :-)

DanielW

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
@ D-Rochat
Many thanks for the tip!

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »
It's because the saturation setting of the 5D3 goes to 11.

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
It's because the saturation setting of the 5D3 goes to 11.

:-) ... KR probably knows the Spinal Tap rockumentary, too and thus knows that people need some anchor to remember. In the movie, its 11, for KR its oversaturated images. As I wrote above, unless I'm very mistaken what he does is extremely clever - and the facts support this: He has a flourishing photo gear review site and doesn't even feel the necessity anymore to do the legwork and write factual reviews - see 5d3's af system!

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Egad, another KR thread.  It's like a train wreck - I don't want to look, but I can't help it.  ::)

That comparison made my day :-)
5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »

+1 to that! All my camera and lens decisions where made much easier by his website. The lens comparison tools, especially the side-by-side sharpness and vignetting ones, are also a huge help.

+2... It's probably the most concise and enjoyable real-world review site to read IMHO.

I got the 60d in spite of the d7000 having better specs because I like the 60d's usability better (and it's cheaper and running magic lantern).

I recently borrowed a friend's D7000 to see how a Nikon SLR camera would 'feel', having used Canon SLRs exclusively since the mid-90s.  My first reaction was 'you must have tiny hands to find the D7000 comfortable to hold'.  I found the handling and ergonomics of the D7000 appalling compared with my EOS 40D, although when it came to image quality (particularly at higher ISOs), it naturally blew my 5-year-old camera out of the water...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Marsu42

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
I recently borrowed a friend's D7000 to see how a Nikon SLR camera would 'feel', having used Canon SLRs exclusively since the mid-90s.  My first reaction was 'you must have tiny hands to find the D7000 comfortable to hold'.  I found the handling and ergonomics of the D7000 appalling compared with my EOS 40D, although when it came to image quality (particularly at higher ISOs), it naturally blew my 5-year-old camera out of the water...

My issue with the d7000 was not so much grip size (it's about the 60d's, it's small, but just ok enough to get used to it) but I like to be able to switch everything with one hand like on the 60d. On the Nikon, the zoom and esp. iso button is on the left side - that alone would drive me crazy. I guess 5d and Nikon users are more used the left side buttons than I am, or they customize what they do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »