December 18, 2014, 11:25:22 PM

Author Topic: Why no crop mode on 5d mkiii 1dx  (Read 13856 times)

pete vella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Why no crop mode on 5d mkiii 1dx
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »
the t3i lower end canon has a video crop mode. the crop mode worked great for macro video becuase it did not change the dof. Now i know this is just a firmware upgrade.  canon why not do it. its a freebee .add it to the marketing.

model      Cropmode

T3i               3x-10x 1080hd
60d              7x  640X480 only boo
7d                nada
5dmkiii         nope
60da            now come on brand new model $600 for a new lowpass filter no new firmware thumbs down
1dx              none

d800             1.5x
d4                 2.7x

Gimmie Chuck Westfalls number so he can explain why canon left out this feature.
Maybey the same reason canon is the only lens company that does not include lens hoods with their standard lens.

Anyone have an aswer for this?           
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:19:56 AM by pete vella »

canon rumors FORUM

Why no crop mode on 5d mkiii 1dx
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
Re: Why no crop mode on 5d mkiii 1dx
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
the t3i lower end canon has a video crop mode. the crop mode worked great for macro video becuase it did not change the dof. Now i know this is just a firmware upgrade.  canon why not do it. its a freebee .add it to the marketing.

model      Cropmode

7d                nada
5dmkiii         nope
60da            now come on brand new model $600 for a new lowpass filter no new firmware thumbs down
1dx              none

d800             1.5x
d4                 2.7x

Gimmie Chuck Westfalls number so he can explain why canon left out this feature.
Maybey the same reason canon is the only lens company that does not include lens hoods with their standard lens.

To protect their higher end video cams? I don't know. Maybe they just really hate Nikon that much, and refuse to do whatever they do out of spite. :P
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

keithfullermusic

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com | photography
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
Is this magic lantern fixable?
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

pete vella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:23 AM »
no magic lantern can only reprogram the arm
processor. the crop mode is a function of the digic. I believe it can be added as canon firmware upgrade.

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »
Name me one advantage for a crop mode on
the 1Dx

FPS already 12/14
And the crop can be applied easily in the PP afterwards.

I think it could be an advantage for the 5D if the FPS would go to
10 FPS in crop mode, otherwise it's not the invention of the century.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:38:06 AM by altenae »

pete vella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:42:32 AM »
I was speaking of video crop mode; however, i agree it would be nice to have a increase to fps with a photo crop
mode but i think the shutter would be an issue.

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:17 AM »
I was speaking of video crop mode; however, i agree it would be nice to have a increase to fps with a photo crop
mode but i think the shutter would be an issue.

Video crop mode, my mistake.
Sorry.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:08:17 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:22:04 PM »

model      Cropmode

7d                nada
5dmkiii         nope
1dx              none

d800             1.5x
d4                 2.7x

It is maddening. Very maddening.

They should've given it a full 1920x1080 1.6x crop mode, for starters, using 2x2 block sampling like the C300 does. Since this is closer to native AA-filter they wouldn't need to soften it to prevent aliasing much either and it might deliver more detail (at the cost of noticeably worse SNR since only 1/2.56th of the sensor gets used) than the FF 3x3 sampled mode.

And a third super zoom mode would be nice too.

This is what I hate about Canon marketing always insists they put in just absolutely as few features as they can possibly, possibly get away with and yet they never have a problem with oh say raising price by $800. Every single other makers always tries at least a little bit more to put more features they can in. Some even seem to go to the trouble to think of all sorts of neat things they can put it that add little to no cost.

You can see it with how their marketing department had them cripple autoiso yet once again for no reason at all. Maybe if they stopped pulling so much bush league stuff like that they'd have a more loyal customer base that wouldn't fill forums with endless rants these days over every little thing....

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:50 PM »
It's utter absurd they didn't offer zebra stripes too or focus peaking.
At least ML can add that.
But I fear it is up to Canon to deliver crop mode.
I just don't get how short-sighted they are. There marketing department is killing them. For no reason.

pete vella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:28:40 AM »

model      Cropmode

7d                nada
5dmkiii         nope
1dx              none

d800             1.5x
d4                 2.7x

It is maddening. Very maddening.

They should've given it a full 1920x1080 1.6x crop mode, for starters, using 2x2 block sampling like the C300 does. Since this is closer to native AA-filter they wouldn't need to soften it to prevent aliasing much either and it might deliver more detail (at the cost of noticeably worse SNR since only 1/2.56th of the sensor gets used) than the FF 3x3 sampled mode.

And a third super zoom mode would be nice too.

This is what I hate about Canon marketing always insists they put in just absolutely as few features as they can possibly, possibly get away with and yet they never have a problem with oh say raising price by $800. Every single other makers always tries at least a little bit more to put more features they can in. Some even seem to go to the trouble to think of all sorts of neat things they can put it that add little to no cost.

You can see it with how their marketing department had them cripple autoiso yet once again for no reason at all. Maybe if they stopped pulling so much bush league stuff like that they'd have a more loyal customer base that wouldn't fill forums with endless rants these days over every little thing....
+1

bluez

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:16:19 AM »
Is there any change to this issue?

I aready have a eos 600D (T3i) and would like to buy a pro DSLR. i use the 3x video crop extensively.

(sorry for restarting this older thread)

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »
I would love to have video crop mode on my 5D3 even if I had to pay extra, although I feel like I paid too much already and that Canon should add this feature with a fw update to match Nikons capability.  As mentioned above, it seems that this feature it is now reserved for their most expensive cameras.

Magic Lantern has a new capability which has a small chance of becoming digital cropped video.  With their new RAW DNG Burst mode plus 5X zoom they can produce, in a 5D3, a sequence of DNGs at 3592x1320 pixels which can then be cropped and imported into a short digital crop video of about 12 frames.  Development is still under way but it seems that a continuous DNG sequence will not be possible.

You can follow their development here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.0
and here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:28:53 AM by Renato »

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »
I just don't get how short-sighted they are. There marketing department is killing them. For no reason.

The "problem" is, it ISN'T killing them.

Until it begins to affect the bottom line ($), they will continue to do such things.

When it finally does begin to obviously have an adverse effect, it will be close to too late to save themselves.

On the specific issue here, for me, a crop mode which yields high speed capability would be greatly appreciated, and would be a major selling point.  Look at the prices for the Casio EX-F1 used (wish I had bought one when I had the chance).  Canon is missing a major potential revenue stream that they haven't tapped, and which none of their super expensive cameras does either - so no cannibalization.

I've been a Canon user for 35 years.  Why did I chose Canon initially back in the late 70's?  They were 25% cheaper than Nikon, just as well made, and had the same accessory set.  Now look at who is 25% cheaper, and offers more features.  The storm clouds could be gathering...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »

florian

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
Hi Pete,

if you really need it so bad there is only one solution to get it. Buy a 1D C .
I got mine last week and don´t regred it and it gives you 1,3 crop for 4k and 1,5 crop for Super35 mode.
with the 1,3 crop on 4k you can feel free to crop it down to 1080P in CS6. this should be enough cropping factor.
And this with a good video quality and C-Log features. If you are after Video this will be the way to go and I don´t think Canon will bring anything close in the next year for less money because of the lack of competionion.

That´s the thing with Canon, they know what they got and they know what the can charge the coustomers for it.
The same with the lenses in the past 2 years, they get more expensive but if I have a look at my 600 II compared to Nikon I can see why.

And if you really need this cheaper than the 1D C go and buy a Nikon with a few lenses like a lot of people do.
They got 2 Systems at home. For me it was cheaper to pay more for the body and get additional the EF 8-15 to keep my wide angle with the crops.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:16:50 PM by florian »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »

The "problem" is, it ISN'T killing them.

Until it begins to affect the bottom line ($), they will continue to do such things.

When it finally does begin to obviously have an adverse effect, it will be close to too late to save themselves.

On the specific issue here, for me, a crop mode which yields high speed capability would be greatly appreciated, and would be a major selling point.  Look at the prices for the Casio EX-F1 used (wish I had bought one when I had the chance).  Canon is missing a major potential revenue stream that they haven't tapped, and which none of their super expensive cameras does either - so no cannibalization.

I've been a Canon user for 35 years.  Why did I chose Canon initially back in the late 70's?  They were 25% cheaper than Nikon, just as well made, and had the same accessory set.  Now look at who is 25% cheaper, and offers more features.  The storm clouds could be gathering...

So I see you didn't pick up on his sarcasm?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »